What's new

Census 2021 shows India overtakes China in migration, nearly half of all Australians have overseas-born parent

The so called "Skilled System" is nothing but buying a PR with a 3 years degree.......
Given that only 31% of Australians have a bachelor degree or above (https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/p...-work-australia/latest-release#qualifications) and zero percent of Bogans :lol: have any education, 3 year bachelor degree is indeed skilled. Not to mention you need to have qualifications in an area that Australia needs before you can go for PR as an outside trained person.

Given that only 31% of Australians have a bachelor degree or above (https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/p...-work-australia/latest-release#qualifications) and zero percent of Bogans :lol: have any education, 3 year bachelor degree is indeed skilled. Not to mention you need to have qualifications in an area that Australia needs before you can go for PR as an outside trained person.
Dude, what you don't know is the Australian Skill Migration scheme is a scam. Nobody comes out to do what they had studied. The scheme was designed with a High Priority Skill list, so when you do one of the course in that skill list, you are qualified for migration. But then they left out one tiny detail, you don't need a job offer to get sponsored. All you need is to either live in or study in Regional Australia. You only need job offer point if you don't do regional scheme

So what happened in reality was, Indian or Chinese come here, study an engineering degree or an accounting degree (they can do it from one of the 140 institution that give you diploma as long as you paid) and then stay in Regional Australia for 2 years and get regional sponsorship that way, in the meanwhile those people work odd job like drive Uber or work at a restaurant to get by, and wait for 3 (or 5) years, and viola, you get your PR.

How do I know? My wife first job here in Oz is act as an immigration agent while she do a replenish course in Law so she can practice in NSW, and she helped Thousand of Indian and Chinese (and probably some Pakistani) gain PR that way.....

Last edited:
View attachment 857367
Dipti Ray and her family are among a growing Indian community in Australia.(Supplied)

Dipti Ray and her family moved permanently to Australia from India in 2020.

Key points:​

• The 2021 census data shows almost half of all Australians have a parent born overseas
  • India has overtaken China and New Zealand to become the third-largest country of birth, behind Australia and England
  • Mandarin continues to be the most common language other than English used at home

The 36-year-old spent time in the country for work a decade ago, but didn't imagine this was where she would end up.

"I went back to India because my family and everybody was there ... I never really thought of moving back to Australia," Ms Ray told the ABC.

"But especially after having a kid, we thought we would have better opportunities here."

Although relocating during COVID came with its challenges, Ms Ray, her husband and four-year-old are happily settled in Glen Waverley in Melbourne's east.

View attachment 857368
Dipti Ray says she speaks to her son in Hindi and ensures he interacts with the Indian community. (Supplied )

The Ray family are part of a growing Indian community in Australia.

Nearly 220,000 additional people reported they were born in India in the latest census, compared to when the previous census was conducted in 2016, according to Australian Bureau of Statistics data released today.

This led to India overtaking China and New Zealand to become the third-largest country of birth, behind Australia and England.

And in total, more than 1 million people have migrated to Australia since the 2016 census.

Ms Ray says there is a large Indian community her family connects with for cultural activities, but she has also seen a wider recognition of India's traditional celebrations.

"There's a lot of exposure to these festivals -- I know Diwali is a big thing," she said.

The census — a national household questionnaire carried out every five years — took place in August last year amid the worsening COVID-19 pandemic.

The data revealed that almost half of all Australians (48.2 per cent) had a parent born overseas, and more than a quarter were themselves born overseas.

In comparison, 45.5 per cent of Australians had at least one parent born overseas in 2016.

Australians were also asked to report up to two "ancestries" — separate to the question about country of birth.

English remained the most common ancestry (33 per cent), followed by Australian (29.9 per cent), Irish (9.5 per cent), Scottish (8.6 per cent) and Chinese (5.5 per cent).

Nepalese community doubles​

Another notable migration trend was the growth of the Nepalese population, which doubled since the previous census.

Nepal had the second-largest increase in country of birth, with an additional 67,752 people counted.

View attachment 857369
Pranab Shrestha tries to speak Nepali to his daughters at home and keep up cultural traditions. (Supplied)(Supplied)

Pranab Shrestha came to Australia in 2014 to finish his master's degree in engineering.

He ended up staying on a skilled migrant visa.

"I had plans to go back to my home country but our family business that was there didn't work out," Mr Shrestha told the ABC.

"So I felt that it was a better to stay for our job opportunities and options for a more comfortable life."

The latest Department of Home Affairs figures show that, since 2017, the majority of Nepalese migrants are entering the country on the state and territory skilled nominated visas and partner visas.

View attachment 857370
Pranab Shrestha remained in Melbourne after he finished his studies and has since had two daughters born in Australia. (Supplied)

Mr Shrestha says there was already a sizeable Nepalese community where he lives in Melbourne's north-west, but lately he has noticed it growing.

"When we go to shops or the plazas you can hear more people conversing in our language," he said.

The 37-year-old tries to speak Nepali as much as he can with his two daughters, who were born in Australia.

They also celebrate their traditional Nepalese customs.

For Mr Shrestha, he was able to transition comfortably into life in Australia, saying there were systems in place to help him along the way.

"You can get a lot of information easily available and it's sufficient enough to guide you through, actually," he said.

Mandarin remains most spoken language other than English​

Although India overtook China to become the third-largest country of birth, Mandarin continues to be the most-common language spoken at home other than English.

Nearly 700,000 people reported speaking Mandarin at home, followed by Arabic with about 367,000.

Punjabi had the largest increase of 80 per cent since the 2016, with just over 367,000 Australians now using the language at home.

The 2021 census data collected information on more than 250 ancestries and 350 languages.

"The information collected in the census provides important data to help plan services and support for culturally and linguistically diverse communities at the local level," Australian Statistician David Gruen said.

Wonder why these disgusting Indians are running to Australia in their millions, isn't India the best country in the world and is a hyperpower? So why are they running to Australia? Indians keep saying India is wonderful, and so very rich.

The Aussies have made it very tough now so the Indian migration has slowed.
It’s cool if you want to migrate but often with these types they’ll rant and rave about how magnificent India is but decide to leave it for good, just hilarious.

Oh the Aussies love Brits coming over hahah. Over a million and counting.

Dude, what you don't know is the Australian Skill Migration scheme is a scam. Nobody comes out to do what they had studied. The scheme was designed with a High Priority Skill list, so when you do one of the course in that skill list, you are qualified for migration. But then they left out one tiny detail, you don't need a job offer to get sponsored. All you need is to either live in or study in Regional Australia. You only need job offer point if you don't do regional scheme
Quite wrong.

1. You need to prove qualification and experience in that profession before points can be allocated to you. If you get a job offer, you get additional points and possibly an employer sponsored visa. Not to mention, for a number of professions like Software Engineering and IT-related ones, people are paid decently in their home countries to take up non-skilled professions in Australia and spoil their resume.

2. A 189 independent does NOT require one to live or study in regional Australia. Infact regional ones have historically not been the most active routes because they come with a binding that you will still live in regional australia for sometime.

So what happened in reality was, Indian or Chinese come here, study an engineering degree or an accounting degree (they can do it from one of the 140 institution that give you diploma as long as you paid) and then stay in Regional Australia for 2 years and get regional sponsorship that way, in the meanwhile those people work odd job like drive Uber or work at a restaurant to get by, and wait for 3 (or 5) years, and viola, you get your PR.
Do you have number of people who came in as 189 independent, 190 state sponsored and regional australia immigrants?

In April 2022, for instance 1000 were invited on 189 independent visa and 500 on skilled work regional (491 visa) . In the past (before 2017 or 18) it was mostly 189 independents. Regional and state sponsorship was a second fiddle at best.

Also, wasn't the entire point of regional visa was that no one wanted to go there so Australian government gave them a motivation? I mean typically australians like to live in and around sydney NSW or melbourne Victoria or ACT.

Lastly, I doubt you can claim points for working in restaurant or driving uber.

lol, i don't know what the Indian coming here to do, but sure it ain't skill......

The so called "Skilled System" is nothing but buying a PR with a 3 years degree.......
No doubt, but industry values these degrees specifically fortune 500 clients

My firm for instance specifically hired Master degree students

Turns out you can bill over 200$ an hour for an "advanced degree" resource, rather than one with just a bachelor's degree

Anyday more experienced professional will be useful than a fresh out of college masters graduate but the industry pays more for a masters graduate resource

The Aussies have made it very tough now so the Indian migration has slowed.
It’s cool if you want to migrate but often with these types they’ll rant and rave about how magnificent India is but decide to leave it for good, just hilarious.

Oh the Aussies love Brits coming over hahah. Over a million and counting.
Well, that's because it was way too easy to migrate to Australia before. Like before 2010, the only thing you need to do is be under 30, have 5.0 IELTS and did a degree in one of the Special Skill list, then PR is almost always automatically granted. People have been taking advantage of this system left and right and comes with a lot of people that don't really have the skill to migrate. To a point it will take my wife a lot less money and a lot sooner to get Independent Skill Migration here in Oz then apply for partner visa.....

Dont get me wrong, I am not against Migration, but at least do take in people who do fill what you need, instead of getting a lot of taxi driver and restaurant waiter with a college degree....

Like before 2010, the only thing you need to do is be under 30, have 5.0 IELTS and did a degree in one of the Special Skill list, then PR is almost always automatically granted.
That still was still in place till 2016-17. Also, it was NOT "did a degree". It was did a degree in a specific discipline and have work experience in it.

Quite wrong.

1. You need to prove qualification and experience in that profession before points can be allocated to you. If you get a job offer, you get additional points and possibly an employer sponsored visa. Not to mention, for a number of professions like Software Engineering and IT-related ones, people are paid decently in their home countries to take up non-skilled professions in Australia and spoil their resume.

2. A 189 independent does NOT require one to live or study in regional Australia. Infact regional ones have historically not been the most active routes because they come with a binding that you will still live in regional australia for sometime.

Wrong what? I am not talking about 189, I am talking about 187.

187 can be applied thru either Special Skill (the one you get for 2 years after your degree) or TSS or ex-457, the last 2 BOTH DOES NOT REQUIRE A QUALIFICATION CHECK. I can work in a restaurant as a waiting staff, and my boss can apply TSS for me, and 4 years after that I can get 187 visa and PR.

What you are referring is 189 visa, which is "OFFSHORE Skill independent visa" Nobody use that Visa to come here, it average around 10K applicant a year, with 4K grant a year as per 2019.

Do you have number of people who came in as 189 independent, 190 state sponsored and regional australia immigrants?

In April 2022, for instance 1000 were invited on 189 independent visa and 500 on skilled work regional (491 visa) . In the past (before 2017 or 18) it was mostly 189 independents. Regional and state sponsorship was a second fiddle at best.

Also, wasn't the entire point of regional visa was that no one wanted to go there so Australian government gave them a motivation? I mean typically australians like to live in and around sydney NSW or melbourne Victoria or ACT.

Lastly, I doubt you can claim points for working in restaurant or driving uber.

Read this

Don't use anything between 2020-2022 because we closed our border during COVID, those figure does not represent anything.

Skill independent is roughly 1/5 of employer sponsor (TSS/457 steam) and regional combine. And yes, you can get TSS or 457 by working as a Uber driver and working in a restaurant.

That still was still in place till 2016-17. Also, it was NOT "did a degree". It was did a degree in a specific discipline and have work experience in it.
No, I was refer to Independent Skill Migration before 2010, YOU DO NOT NEED WORK EXPERIENCE FOR IT.

Back in the day, you don't need to do anything, as long as what you study are in MODL List (which add 15 points) and if you are under 30, that's another 30 points, Australian Qualification will give you 5 (Bachelor) to 20 points (PhD). 10 Points for living in Regional Australia, 30-60 points for your skill (regardless if they are in MODL), then 5.0 IELTS 10 points, 6.0 IELTS 20 points. You only need to get over 120 (for independent skill migration) or 85 (If you are applying for Regional visa)

Again, that is my wife gone thru, I still remember filling the form with her and counting all the points.

Last edited:
No doubt, but industry values these degrees specifically fortune 500 clients

My firm for instance specifically hired Master degree students

Turns out you can bill over 200$ an hour for an "advanced degree" resource, rather than one with just a bachelor's degree

Anyday more experienced professional will be useful than a fresh out of college masters graduate but the industry pays more for a masters graduate resource
Well, it really depends.

Here in Oz, a degree mean shit, unless it is from one of the top 5 (UNSW, ANU, USyd, UMelb and Monash) I can get a degree with Charles Sturt University which mean absolutely nothing. In fact, most of these college does not really care how much you actually did study, One of my cousin from my mother side have enrolled in Bachelor of Accounting with Macquarie Uni for 8 years, studying the same subject 5 times and eventually graduate with a 0.85 GPA........

Well, it really depends.

Here in Oz, a degree mean shit, unless it is from one of the top 5 (UNSW, ANU, USyd, UMelb and Monash) I can get a degree with Charles Sturt University which mean absolutely nothing. In fact, most of these college does not really care how much you actually did study, One of my cousin from my mother side have enrolled in Bachelor of Accounting with Macquarie Uni for 8 years, studying the same subject 5 times and eventually graduate with a 0.85 GPA........
My perspective was from USA and India

Companies here think its a major win financially to hire advanced degree graduates and also on ROIs

Because an "unskilled worker" is considered a financial liability for the firm given the belief the firm eventually will have to financially invest in developing the skills of the worker

Where as a new hire with advanced degree is seen as financial gain, since the individual has already invested in their skills at their own cost and not at the companies finances

Read this too :
2017-18
The GSM category outcome for 2017–18 was 68,111 places (61.3 per cent of the Skill stream). GSM is comprised of three categories:
• Skilled Independent with an outcome of 39,137 places;
• State and Territory Nominated with an outcome of 27,400 places; and
• Skilled Regional with 1574 places.

And this too:
2016-17
General Skilled Migration (GSM) – 67,857 places, further broken down by:
o Skilled Independent category – 42,422 places;

o State and Territory Government Nominated category – 23,765 places; and
o Skilled Regional category – 1670 places.

For 2019-20

Skilled Independent : 12,986
Skilled State/Territory Nominated : 21,495

Regional : 23,372

The reason why Regional picked up in 2019 was because Australian government clamped down on 189 visa. Otherwise, it used to be the ugly step child back in 2017-18 and before that. This clamp down on anything but regional is very new compared to how long skilled immigration has been around. Even now, Skilled Independent and State Sponsored are much bigger contributor to immigration than Regional.

People were not very desparate to get a 187 regional visa even if it were an option back in 2016/2017. Only after government clamped down on 189 it picked up. Still 190 and 189 together are a bigger source.

Last edited:
Nobody use that Visa to come here
Thats a lie

I have shown you the numbers from 2016-17, 17-18 and 19-20.

Skilled Independent 189 and State Sponsored 190 put together are still above Regional migration even using the reference you gave.

Last edited:
Here in Oz, a degree mean shit, unless it is from one of the top 5 (UNSW, ANU, USyd, UMelb and Monash) I can get a degree with Charles Sturt University which mean absolutely nothing.
Depends. I challenge anyone to practice medicine without proper degree. Or in software development without proper degree -- atleast in reputable companies or in regulated professions like civil engineering. Also for many roles a masters is highly preferred. I often recruit for my employer as a part of technical interviewer. My employer is a large corporate. A masters allows you to skip lower level basic interviews meant to weed out most of the non-relevant folks.

It seems that these Indians are not happy in free and democratic India, so they immigrated to developed countries.

So are Chinese, isn't China a great, wonderful country? So why are there millions of Chinese coming to the West?

Depends. I challenge anyone to practice medicine without proper degree. Or in software development without proper degree -- atleast in reputable companies or in regulated professions like civil engineering. Also for many roles a masters is highly preferred. I often recruit for my employer as a part of technical interviewer. My employer is a large corporate. A masters allows you to skip lower level basic interviews meant to weed out most of the non-relevant folks.
Dude, I am not saying you can practice Medicine without degree, I am saying what immigrant do here, which is go for a degree and live in the regional and get PR, they don't do what they had studied, this has been a problem for Australian migration since ages ago.

My perspective was from USA and India

Companies here think its a major win financially to hire advanced degree graduates and also on ROIs

Because an "unskilled worker" is considered a financial liability for the firm given the belief the firm eventually will have to financially invest in developing the skills of the worker

Where as a new hire with advanced degree is seen as financial gain, since the individual has already invested in their skills at their own cost and not at the companies finances
Well, here it's nothing unless you have one of the top 5 college.

A degree here mean you can go to TAFE (a technical college) and apply for a 3 years degree and come out without any knowledge. Degree here is a loose term. as I said, some college would just give you one as long as you have money to dump on your degree, and you know what? The government pay you anyway as they give you $80,000 and 10 years in HECS to finish your degree.

Here, it's a no go if you don't have associated experience, even if you have a degree.

Back
Top Bottom