What's new

Census 2021 shows India overtakes China in migration, nearly half of all Australians have overseas-born parent

Read this too :
2017-18

And this too:
2016-17

For 2019-20

Skilled Independent : 12,986
Skilled State/Territory Nominated : 21,495

Regional : 23,372

The reason why Regional picked up in 2019 was because Australian government clamped down on 189 visa. Otherwise, it used to be the ugly step child back in 2017-18 and before that. This clamp down on anything but regional is very new compared to how long skilled immigration has been around. Even now, Skilled Independent and State Sponsored are much bigger contributor to immigration than Regional.

People were not very desparate to get a 187 regional visa even if it were an option back in 2016/2017. Only after government clamped down on 189 it picked up. Still 190 and 189 together are a bigger source.
You missed the Employer Sponsored Category......

The Employer Sponsored category outcome for 2017–18 was 35,528 places.

RSMS, with an outcome of 6221 places; and

During 2017–18, 51,969 applications were received in this category compared to 71,327 applications in 2016–17.

of the 51969 application in 2017, half of those are 457 visa

457.jpg

The TSS, the 457 I have been talking about for a long time.

And yes, if you quote 2017, Independent skill migration still the way to go, because of the major overhaul of the immigration system, if you quote data from 2010 or before, independent skill migration visa is the only way to go because you don't do jack shit and you get PR that way, You are probably talking about 90/10 split.

Thats a lie

I have shown you the numbers from 2016-17, 17-18 and 19-20.

Skilled Independent 189 and State Sponsored 190 put together are still above Regional migration even using the reference you gave.
Sure, 13000 out of around 70000 before overhaul is a lot?

Dude, again, may I remind you I live in Australia, you do not, and you said You know it better than me??

LOL

@WotTen @patero maybe you want to come here and comment on this Indian post......

He seems to think only the "Best" Indian come to Migrate to Australia and only do top notch professional job lol.....

Last edited:
INDIANS are atleast productive in these economies rather than like leachers coming from other countries.
If by productive you mean slaving for sometimes one-third of the average salary while at the same being discriminated against by nearly every cultural group in their destination country, then you are right. Indians are indeed unique in that regard. Maybe only the Philippines can come close to India in that respect.

If by productive you mean slaving for sometimes one-third of the average salary while at the same being discriminated against by nearly every cultural group in their destination country, then you are right. Indians are indeed unique in that regard. Maybe only the Philippines can come close to India in that respect.
Go be pariah.

@WotTen @patero maybe you want to come here and comment on this Indian post......

He seems to think only the "Best" Indian come to Migrate to Australia and only do top notch professional job lol.....

Indian migration ballooned in the last two decades because of a politically motivated policy by John Howard and the Liberals to balance out the East Asian immigrants with lots of Indian immigrants.

The Howard administration expanded the 'skills' category to include cooks and hairdressers. At the same time, Australia spent money to advertise this new loophole across India to encourage migration. According to the Liberals, Australia couldn't produce its own cooks and barbers and needed to import vast numbers, mostly from India.

The whole thing was a scam to fool the Australian public into believing the skills migration cover story. Lots of Indians came on student visas and got fast-tracked to permanent residence. I lived in Melbourne at the time and saw cooking and hairdressing schools popping up all over the place. There were news reports that many of the 'cooking' schools didn't even have an oven!

It was a scam propped up by the Liberals because they wanted much closer ties with India.

The myth of the 'highly skilled Indian' is often repeated by Indians and the business community and their paid politicians who want increased migration.

In my experience, the Indian workers are like any other worker, including Australian workers. It's the standard Bell curve: a few smart cookies, a few dead weights, and mostly average Joes doing average work.

There is nothing that the Indian immigrants are doing (at least in tech) that couldn't be done by a local worker with six months training and a support group that the Indians usually have.

Personally, I feel that when a government cannot train its own people for 21st century jobs then it has failed its people.

Indian migration ballooned in the last two decades because of a politically motivated policy by John Howard and the Liberals to balance out the East Asian immigrants with lots of Indian immigrants.

The Howard administration expanded the 'skills' category to include cooks and hairdressers. At the same time, Australia spent money to advertise this new loophole across India to encourage migration. According to the Liberals, Australia couldn't produce its own cooks and barbers and needed to import vast numbers, mostly from India.

The whole thing was a scam to fool the Australian public into believing the skills migration cover story. Lots of Indians came on student visas and got fast-tracked to permanent residence. I lived in Melbourne at the time and saw cooking and hairdressing schools popping up all over the place. There were news reports that many of the 'cooking' schools didn't even have an oven!

It was a scam propped up by the Liberals because they wanted much closer ties with India.
lol, they still do actually, we have a lot of "Mechanic", "Hairdressing" "Chef" school here in Sydney.

Problem is, those kind of job needed to be peg with a job offer, sure, you go hire a chef, but make sure they do chef thing instead of driving Uber.

The sheer amount of immigration fraud is quite rampant back in 2010s, and well, you only need to know what to do to get your PR that way

The myth of the 'highly skilled Indian' is often repeated by Indians and the business community and their paid politicians who want increased migration.

In my experience, the Indian workers are like any other worker, including Australian workers. It's the standard Bell curve: a few smart cookies, a few dead weights, and mostly average Joes doing average work.

There is nothing that the Indian immigrants are doing (at least in tech) that couldn't be done by a local worker with six months training and a support group that the Indians usually have.

Personally, I feel that when a government cannot train its own people for 21st century jobs then it has failed its people.
That's because it is easy, instead of addressing the situation, they bump up the number and make it look good, something like "See we haave X amount of skill worker migrate to Australia" without actually having those people goes into those skill.

Another issue is our Uni system has become money corporation, they prefer international student than local, I was at UNSW back in early 2010s, there are more International Student than local student lol, because if they go international, you get chunks of money and you open up campus like crazy, you get a HECS line of credit when you gave that spot to a local. Hoping the COVID closure would teach those college a lesson, but by the way we are heading, it seems like history is going to repeat themselves.......

Problem is, those kind of job needed to be peg with a job offer, sure, you go hire a chef, but make sure they do chef thing instead of driving Uber.

I don't think you need a job offer to apply for skills migration. Even if they change the laws to require an offer, it's trivially easy to fool the system. See below.

The sheer amount of immigration fraud is quite rampant back n 2010s, and well, you only need to know what to do to get your PR that way

Fooling the migration system is trivially easy and the government knows it but looks the other way because big business wants migration. Migration also keeps house prices high which brings votes.

I know in the US, there is H1 visa for temporary workers while they wait for their PR. Even when these people don't have a job, they make a deal with an Indian-owned local company to pay minimum payroll tax to make it look like the person is working and keep the H1 active!

INDIANS are atleast productive in these economies rather than like leachers coming from other countries.
Haha, what a crock of nonsense.

The West claims to be inclusive and tolerant and all that crap. But in practice it is quite different.

If there is a White Blond kid and a Brown kid. Who will the Western Professor like more? Obviously the white blond kid. lol.

I too have lived in the West and faced discrimination.

1) smashing the test paper on my desk
2) sneered at my Arabic and Persian name on the test paper

Based on true stories.

You actually think the West allows immigration out of charity. LOL.

They do it because it boosts their economy.

They cannot tolerate development in the Muslim World, India, China or other countries in the developing world you moron.

I don't think you need a job offer to apply for skills migration. Even if they change the laws to require an offer, it's trivially easy to fool the system. See below.

No you don't, that's why I said it "should" be peg with a job offer, but you are right, people can still buy them and a lot of them do.

Fooling the migration system is trivially easy and the government knows it but looks the other way because big business wants migration. Migration also keeps house prices high which brings votes.

I know in the US, there is H1 visa for temporary workers while they wait for their PR. Even when these people don't have a job, they make a deal with an Indian-owned local company to pay minimum payroll tax to make it look like the person is working and keep the H1 active!
US system is a bit more complicated H1 visa are granted by the time you are working, and you get a GC once you work a certain year, H1 Visa is like the TSS visa we have, it may or may not lead to the Employment Base (EB) Permanent Resident, it's more like the visa that allow you to work.

Yes, some company would ask you to pay to hold your H1 even if you are not working, but that is very limited in number, because CIS really do look into these stuff, especially if you are going after EB visa to stay.

On the other hand, if you have a choice, you probably would not go with H1 to EB for a Green Card, if you are allow to play the DV lotto, that would be most people best bet, because you have 15% chance a year to get a green card, the chance for the time it take to get a H1 to EB is between 5 to 7 years, you would have the GC from DV lotto mid-way by then....

Haha, what a crock of nonsense.

The West claims to be inclusive and tolerant and all that crap. But in practice it is quite different.

If there is a White Blond kid and a Brown kid. Who will the Western Professor like more? Obviously the white blond kid. lol.

I too have lived in the West and faced discrimination.

1) smashing the test paper on my desk
2) sneered at my Arabic and Persian name on the test paper

Based on true stories.

You actually think the West allows immigration out of charity. LOL.

They do it because it boosts their economy.

They cannot tolerate development in the Muslim World, India, China or other countries in the developing world you moron.
Yes there will be discrimination and apathy. But their societies are open and we are allowed to grow and become someone there. Unlike the Muslim countries. You better stick to them. You have no future.

US system is a bit more complicated H1 visa are granted by the time you are working, and you get a GC once you work a certain year, H1 Visa is like the TSS visa we have, it may or may not lead to the Employment Base (EB) Permanent Resident, it's more like the visa that allow you to work.

That's true. What I meant is that people play the 'minimum payroll tax' game to keep their H1 valid so they can stay in the US and look for a better job. It's a lot easier to find a good paying job if you are already in the US. You are also more likely to get a PR sponsor if you are in the US doing in-person interview.

Btw, I don't mean to imply that only Indians do migration fraud. I am sure every group does it. When I was travelling outback Australia, the vast majority of visa overstayers were British. I saw a couple of Japanese girls working in hostels and I felt bad because they were unhappy and I could tell their employer was abusing them.

You missed the Employer Sponsored Category......
Sure and you did not write ENS numbers who have similar requirements as independents.

Even if you include RSMS in Employer category, the numbers are very small

• RSMS in ESC : 6,221
• Skilled Independent : 39,137
• State and Territory Nominated : 27,400
• Skilled Regional : 1574

Remember, you original point was people misusing RSMS? Before 2018, the numbers were really really low for RSMS as compared to 189, 190 and 186 visa: all of which require you to have relevant education and experience which are in short supply in Australia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom