What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

I honestly think that FC-20 would be a tweaked J-10A. J-10B is still in evaluation stage. Only thing i am interested in is which engine it would have? Chinese or Russian? and Does it would have an AESA inside it?

For some reason I think that the J-10 A looks good aesthetically than the J-10 B. The air intake is kind of ugly and the radom is too big maybe cuz of the AESA radar. :)

For some reason I think that the J-10 A looks good aesthetically than the J-10 B. The air intake is kind of ugly and the radom is too big maybe cuz of the AESA radar. :)

Egg your house for saying that? :p

Well I guess each to his own :)

It was just as personal opinion but as long as 'A' or 'B' can match any other 4.5 gen aircraft in a fight then everything is all good :)

Is that your intuition or told by "resource" ? In either case there would remain a margin of error.

I am recalling somebody from China (probably their Air-Chief or Navel Chief) who had mentioned about the production of J-10A which will continue after 20XX to fulfil Chinese Navy and PAF's orders. That interview would be pretty hard to discard and think PAF was going for J-10Bs. But I wish it is J-10Bs which is ~half-generation ahead of J-10A.

Is that your intuition or told by "resource" ? In either case there would remain a margin of error.

I am recalling somebody from China (probably their Air-Chief or Navel Chief) who had mentioned about the production of J-10A which will continue after 20XX to fulfil Chinese Navy and PAF's orders. That interview would be pretty hard to discard and think PAF was going for J-10Bs. But I wish it is J-10Bs which is ~half-generation ahead of J-10A.
No, the news that Pakistan would be getting a modified J-10A was told by huzhigeng, an employee of CAC design bureau. However, his meant the next few years, not to 2020. I doubt the J-10 production line would still be open by 2020, as China transitions to its next generation fighter planes.

Big New Chinese Order for Russian Fighter Engines

AIN DEFENSE PERSPECTIVE » OCTOBER 3, 2011
by VLADIMIR KARNOZOV

AL-31FNmod.jpg

Russia has now sold nearly 1,000 AL-31 engines to China, where they power J-10 and J-11 fighters. (Photo: Vladimir Karnozov)
October 3, 2011, 4:45 AM
China has placed additional orders for Russian AL-31-series fighter engines. State arms trade agency Rosoboronexport clinched two big contracts earlier this year. One is for more than 150 AL-31Fs as replacements for earlier engines of same type that power the Su-27/Su-30MKK/MK2 fighters, that are designated J-11 in China. Engines under this contract will be assembled by the Ufa-based UMPO factory.

The second contract is for more than 120 AL-31FN engines to power newly built Chengdu J-10 fighters. Engines under this contract are already being delivered, from the Moscow-based Salut plant.

Speaking to AIN at the Aviation Expo 2011 in Beijing, Salut general director Vladislav Masalov said that negotiations continue on a second batch of nearly 140 AL-31FNs and that a follow-on contract is expected to be signed in October.

Masalov further said that the grand total of Salut-made AL-31 series engines in China “is nearing one thousand units.” To serve them, Salut has established partnerships with Limin Corp. and Tyan Li company in Chengdu on deliveries and manufacturing of spare parts for both the AL-31F and the AL-31FN. Russia has also agreed to provide all necessary maintenance and repair documentation to the Chinese partners. Salut faces many issues pertaining to ramping up production to fill these big Chinese orders, Masalov said. This year the company must increase its production output by 30 to 40 percent to fulfill the Chinese contracts. “Certainly there is some pressure on us, with bottlenecks being metal and vendor items,” Masalov said.

Meanwhile, Salut is negotiating the sale of another 40 AL-31FM1 engines to the Russian Air Force for the Su-27SM upgrade. Twelve have already been ordered. Talks to supply AL-31FM2 versions for the Su-34 continue, Masalov said.http://www.ainonline.com/?q=aviation-news/ain-defense-perspective/2011-10-03/big-new-chinese-order-russian-fighter-engines

Thursday, October 06, 2011

This news confirms two outstanding rumors -- the PLAAF is not going retrofit its existing SU fleet with the domestic WS-10 Taihang turbofan and the production rate of the WS-10 is not sufficient to cover J-10's production run.

AIN Defense Perspective » October 3, 2011

http://www.ainonline.com/?q=aviatio...big-new-chinese-order-russian-fighter-engines

by Vladimir Karnozov

Russia has now sold nearly 1,000 AL-31 engines to China, where they power J-10 and J-11 fighters. (Photo: Vladimir Karnozov)
October 3, 2011, 4:45 AM

China has placed additional orders for Russian AL-31-series fighter engines. State arms trade agency Rosoboronexport clinched two big contracts earlier this year. One is for more than 150 AL-31Fs as replacements for earlier engines of same type that power the Su-27/Su-30MKK/MK2 fighters, that are designated J-11 in China. Engines under this contract will be assembled by the Ufa-based UMPO factory.

The second contract is for more than 120 AL-31FN engines to power newly built Chengdu J-10 fighters. Engines under this contract are already being delivered, from the Moscow-based Salut plant.

Speaking to AIN at the Aviation Expo 2011 in Beijing, Salut general director Vladislav Masalov said that negotiations continue on a second batch of nearly 140 AL-31FNs and that a follow-on contract is expected to be signed in October.

Masalov further said that the grand total of Salut-made AL-31 series engines in China “is nearing one thousand units.” To serve them, Salut has established partnerships with Limin Corp. and Tyan Li company in Chengdu on deliveries and manufacturing of spare parts for both the AL-31F and the AL-31FN. Russia has also agreed to provide all necessary maintenance and repair documentation to the Chinese partners. Salut faces many issues pertaining to ramping up production to fill these big Chinese orders, Masalov said. This year the company must increase its production output by 30 to 40 percent to fulfill the Chinese contracts. “Certainly there is some pressure on us, with bottlenecks being metal and vendor items,” Masalov said.

Meanwhile, Salut is negotiating the sale of another 40 AL-31FM1 engines to the Russian Air Force for the Su-27SM upgrade. Twelve have already been ordered. Talks to supply AL-31FM2 versions for the Su-34 continue, Masalov said.

same news with one important point 'highlighted' which means the chinese are not fully satisfied with the WS-10 engine

Thursday, October 06, 2011

same news with one important point 'highlighted' which means the chinese are not fully satisfied with the WS-10 engine

Fatman, why isn't this terrible news for PAF?

Its not like that.....While J-11s helped maturing WS-10 series, but a comforting factor for them was the presence of Two engines thereby increasing the chances of survival in case one of the engine fails in testing. But for a fighter like J-10 and JFT whose sole dependence is on single engine, its an altogether different situation. Since J-10B was due for production even as the end of 2010. I said it earlier that it the AL-31FN order was for PLAAF and PAF both because it didnt make any sense to delay the production of J-10B due to WS-10B being tested or integrating WS-10B prematurely and running a bigger risk. It makes more sense to go with Russian engines for the time being and let WS-10B to mature, a MLU can always be designed for replacement of AL-31FN with then, more mature, WS-10B

Hi, I guess time will tell which engine powers future versions of PAF J-10s. I just hope, that the PAF gets the J-10B and not upgraded J-10As.

this IMO is not good news for the PAF. further i have yet to see any confirmed news that the chinese order for the AL-31 includes a 'few' engines for the J-10B. it is not so. the russians have not given nor the chinese have applied for such clearance. further by just offering 10 J-10B (with WS-10) to the PAF, it is a clear indication that the PAF is 'not sold' on the performance of the WS-10 and would like its pilots to put the WS-10 through a rigourous testing program in its own backyard before giving it a initial IOC.

this IMO is not good news for the PAF. further i have yet to see any confirmed news that the chinese order for the AL-31 includes a 'few' engines for the J-10B. it is not so. the russians have not given nor the chinese have applied for such clearance. further by just offering 10 J-10B (with WS-10) to the PAF, it is a clear indication that the PAF is 'not sold' on the performance of the WS-10 and would like its pilots to put the WS-10 through a rigourous testing program in its own backyard before giving it a initial IOC.
Sir IMHO, J-10As used AL-31F engines.....these are AL-31FN modified engines with Possible TVC nozzel, AFAIK, J-11s seems to be the preferred platforms for WS-10 so these engines are not likely to make their way to J-11s. Rest left are J-10A and J-10B. As i said earlier that if Chinese had opted for WS-10B, then we can say bye bye to J-10B production for couple of more years. So if these engines are for J-10A, then we can not see J-10B before 2014 at least. With CAC going ahead with J-10B this year, the most logical choice is to have AL-31FNs initially and then gradual transformation to WS-10B as the system get certified for J-10B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom