What's new

Chief of Army Staff | General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were to bet on who would be the next COAS, I would bet on CGS...

lets make it more interesting if we add the next three that includes Tariq khan and the recently appointed CGS Rashad Mahmud. So would'nt that make a more worthy race to the top spot. Also Sir isn't the experience on important posts which are CGS, DGMO, DGISI, X corp, prerequisites for COAS. So it will be interesting to see how NS tackles this... we know how he picked his last chief and the rest is all history......

very true but i am keeping it simple - senior most officer - as NS has commented. Tariq Khan is my personal choice as he has commanded the FC and knows what it takes to fight militancy. he is also a fav of the US which may go against him.

Lt Gen Khalid Nawaz Khan, Commander, X Corps, Rawalpindi. Due to retire on 4 October 2013.
Lt Gen Muhammad Alam Khattak, Commander, XII Corps, Quetta. Due to retire on 4 October 2013.
Lt Gen Muhammad Haroon Aslam, Chief of Logistics Staff , Due to retire on 9 April 2014.

Isn't Kayani supposed to retire in November? So how do the October retiring generals come into play?

Isn't Kayani supposed to retire in November? So how do the October retiring generals come into play?

nominations go in earlier. anyways a promotion automatically gives 3 years of service extension.

lets make it more interesting if we add the next three that includes Tariq khan and the recently appointed CGS Rashad Mahmud. So would'nt that make a more worthy race to the top spot. Also Sir isn't the experience on important posts which are CGS, DGMO, DGISI, X corp, prerequisites for COAS. So it will be interesting to see how NS tackles this... we know how he picked his last chief and the rest is all history......

Why did you specifically mention X corps?

A strike corp like I corp Mangla or II Corps Multan would have more leverage don't you think?

Anyways, every Coeps has its importance, when you become a Corps Commander, it means you have some capability.

As Fatman said, Tariq Khan is a safe bet, a professional soldier, knows the war against militancy and is currently commanding a strike corps...CGS, IGT&E etc are desk jobs if you know what I mean.

otherwise the whole seniority thing is bull....

nominations go in earlier. anyways a promotion automatically gives 3 years of service extension.

So if one gets nominated, he stays in service for a couple more months.

Kayani is due to retire on 28 Nov, that means almost 2 months later than the retirement date of these generals. So if they do get nominated, they would remain in service? And isn't the final decision taken very late, just before retirement?

Why did you specifically mention X corps?

A strike corp like I corp Mangla or II Corps Multan would have more leverage don't you think?

Anyways, every Coeps has its importance, when you become a Corps Commander, it means you have some capability.

As Fatman said, Tariq Khan is a safe bet, a professional soldier, knows the war against militancy and is currently commanding a strike corps...CGS, IGT&E etc are desk jobs if you know what I mean.

tradition has it that CGS is the guy who stirs the drink......and any potential CoAS are appointed CGS to gain the admin experience.

If we were to bet on who would be the next COAS, I would bet on CGS...

You might be right but when he was appointed the CGS back in January, speculations already stated in the foreign media that he might be the next chief.
According to this article Has the inscrutable Gen Kayani thrown a googly? - Analysis - DNA

he belongs to the parent arm of kayani (baloch), has worked under him in DDG ISI ,he is a rather average officer among his peers who likes "to go with the flow". but the most important thing "he has connections with PML-N"

The last para says it all.

You might be right but when he was appointed the CGS back in January, speculations already stated in the foreign media that he might be the next chief.
According to this article Has the inscrutable Gen Kayani thrown a googly? - Analysis - DNA

he belongs to the parent arm of kayani (baloch), has worked under him in DDG ISI ,he is a rather average officer among his peers who likes "to go with the flow". but the most important thing "he has connections with PML-N"

The last para says it all.

I dont want to sound like a 'apni tareef apnay mun' type guy, but the part that you put up in red is what I hinted at a month or so back, and that ia the reason I expect him to be the new coas...lets hope though that Nawaz Sharif appoints the best guy, not the senior most only.

We need somebody well aware of this WoT and its nitty gritty, not a administrator...

Lt Gen Zaheer ul Islam should be in nominations as well.

No PR83/2013-ISPR Dated: May 20, 2013
Rawalpindi - May 20, 2013:

COAS KEY NOTE ADDRESS
C- IED SYMPOSIUM

Chairman Senate, Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen,
Assalam-o-Alaikum and Good Afternoon,

It is indeed an honour and privilege for me to address this remarkable gathering representing experts in a wide variety of disciplines and from a number of countries. The diversity, background and expertise of the guests has made this symposium a truly rewarding and successful event. The participation of representatives from 28 countries is a vivid expression of the desire of international community to fight terrorism. It is also reflective of the international community’s willingness to play a greater role in the region in dealing with the multiple issues associated with IEDs. We welcome your keen interest and hope that this event will help you understand our peculiar environment, our abilities and most importantly our constraints.

As a nation we are peace loving people. Overwhelming majority of our people is moderate, resilient and extraordinarily hardworking. In the recently conducted General Elections, we have amply demonstrated that as a nation we can withstand any challenge. In these elections, people of Pakistan not only courageously withstood the threat of terrorism; they also defied unfounded dictates of an insignificant and misguided minority. As a nation, our commitment to moderation, prosperity and Rule of Law is total and unwavering. We have the resolve and a firm belief to overcome the challenges towards attainment of these goals.

One of these challenges is the threat of terrorism. In fighting this menace, we share the experience of many other nations. We have a rich experience of dealing and succeeding against the faceless enemy who employs highly innovative means of destruction. In pursuit of global peace, we have to respond to this enemy equally innovatively while always staying a step ahead.

Over time, Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) have posed a new dimension of threat to the public as well as the Law Enforcement Agencies. This threat is multidimensional and complex. Factors like prompt availability, ease of manufacture, low production cost, innovative use and resultant devastating effects have made the IED, a weapon of choice for the terrorists. Their use has unfortunately gained wider currency.

The threat and impact of these weapons is not Pakistan specific. IEDs have caused devastation at both regional and global levels. These have been used with unfortunate consistency in Iraq and Afghanistan and thankfully, somewhat inconsistently, in other countries of the world. The recent Boston bombings involving use of homemade IED manifests the international dimension of this threat and serves as a stark reminder that even the most developed nations of the world remain vulnerable to this threat.

Contrary to prevalent perceptions, Pakistan has come a long way in fighting this menace over the past 2-3 years. Pakistan has taken significant policy initiatives to counter the IED threat. Pakistan Army, aware of the seriousness of the threat, is leading the drive to create a pragmatic, cost-effective and efficient C-IED Strategy. This strategy aims at creating awareness, assisting legislation, adopting best practices from across the world, suitably equipping the forces and effectively training them. The strategy thus aims at developing a proactive, rather than a reactive response at the national level.

The underlying complexity of the issue, forces us to adopt a multinational, as well as whole of the Government approach. I will take the example of just one of the precursors of IEDs i.e. Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (commonly known as CAN). Pakistan, being an agricultural country, is heavily dependent on fertilizers. 5% of the fertilizers used in agricultural sector of Pakistan are based on CAN. Production of CAN has come under national and international focus, to the extent of creating a perception that controlling CAN alone, can remove the menace of IEDs and our arguments against that perception were almost taken as unwillingness to act against IEDs. However, CAN is only one of the precursor of IEDs. There are dozens others which remain readily available. Moreover, Pakistan is not the only country producing CAN. Other countries in the region also produce CAN which has a higher degree of nitrogen content than what Pakistani CAN possesses. For example, Ammonium Nitrate, produced in certain regional countries has 34-35% of nitrogen content as opposed to 26% contained in the Pakistani product.

This is not all. There is evidence that as Pakistan tightened the control on sale and distribution of CAN, terrorists simply switched to other precursors, like Potassium Chlorate, not produced in Pakistan. The predicament thus clearly reflects the necessity of an approach which is comprehensive, in terms of (One) involving all countries of the region, (Two) covering the complete range of possible hazardous materials and (Three) very importantly, mitigating the effects of policy restrictions on the common man. We don’t want to end up making our citizens dependent upon black marketers and criminal elements, thus strengthening rather than weakening the terrorists’ support network. There remains a need to explore, with the help of the more technologically advanced among us, how best to replace the hazardous materials with economically viable alternatives, or to mitigate their destructive capacity through chemical treatment or, even if that is not possible, development of necessary monitoring mechanisms.

I am hopeful that with the support and collaboration of international community, Pakistan and the region will overcome the menace of IEDs. Our success will hinge upon adopting a focused and multilayered approach, improving upon the ability to work with partners around the globe and at all levels of government as well as the private sector; to monitor, protect against and ultimately reduce the threat of an IED being used successfully. We must continue to coordinate our efforts, commit the required resources and maintain the hard-earned counter-IED experiences for our collective use.

The Symposium has provided us a forum to sit together and seriously debate upon the issue and find solutions to the problem. I am sure that it would strengthen our resilience in defeating IEDs in an effective and responsible manner. Benefitting from the regional and global presence of distinguished guests of diverse expertise, I would like to propose formation of a Regional Military C-IED Forum supported by a wider international forum to benefit from experiences of all countries involved. I am hopeful that this proposal will receive serious consideration from the participants and their countries.

I extend my sincerest tribute to the Pak Army’s Shuhada and their families without whose sacrifices we would not be where we are today. I would also ask you to remember all the victims of IEDs in Pakistan, as well as those who have suffered in other countries of the world. We all owe a collective debt to them which can only be repaid by exterminating the menace of IEDs. The reduction in this menace, I am sure, would help in defeating terrorism as a whole.
In the end, I would thank the worthy participants of this Symposium. Your participation has enhanced our resolve and would hopefully prove to be a stepping-stone towards improved regional and global cooperation.

I Thank You

Welcome to ISPR

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

‘Misguided minority’ defeated by vote: Kayani

* COAS says nation has proved that it can face any challenge

* Army determined for prosperity and rule of law in country

RAWALPINDI: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Monday said that the people of Pakistan not only courageously withstood the threat of terrorism, they also defied and defeated unfounded dictates of an insignificant and misguided minority in the general elections.

Kayani said the nation has proved that it could face any challenge, and has defeated the “misguided minority”. “In the recently conducted general elections, the nation has amply demonstrated that it can withstand any challenge,” he remarked while addressing a day-long international symposium on counter-improvised explosive device (C-IED) “Saving lives by jointly defeating IEDs” here at the GHQ. As a nation, he observed that Pakistanis were peace-loving people. Overwhelming majority of the people is moderate, resilient and extraordinarily hardworking. “As a nation, our commitment to moderation, prosperity and rule of law is total and unwavering. We have the resolve and a firm belief to overcome the challenges towards attainment of these goals,” he added.

Kayani said one of these challenges was the threat of terrorism. “In fighting this menace, we share the experience of many other nations,” he added. Pakistan, he said, had a rich experience of dealing and succeeding against the faceless enemy, who employed highly innovative means of destruction. In pursuit of global peace, Pakistan had to respond to this enemy equally innovatively while always staying a step ahead, he added. The COAS proposed formation of a regional military counter-improvised explosive device (C-IED) forum supported by a wider international forum to benefit from experiences of regional and global countries involved.

He hoped that this proposal would receive serious consideration from the participants and their countries. He said with the support and collaboration of international community, Pakistan and the region would overcome the menace of improvised explosive devices (IEDs). agencies

ISLAMABAD: Chinese Prime Miniser Li Keqiang was meeting with army chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani and naval chief Admiral Mohammad Asif Sandila in Islamabad, DawnNews reported.

Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Khalid Shameem Wyne was also present at the meeting.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Chinese premier pledged to deepen strategic ties between China and Pakistan irrespective of the international situation.

Also on Wednesday, Prime Minister Keqiang was decorated with Pakistan’s highest civil award, Nishan-i-Pakistan, by President Asif Ali Zardari who said at a reception held in his honour that the “visit will mark yet another important step forward in reinforcing the strategic partnership between the two countries”.
Chinese PM meets Kayani | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom