What's new

China: a force fit for a superpower

your arguments are pretty pointless.

nowadays, the usa and china are basically married to each other. they may quarrel and fight, but at the end of the day, they are still sleeping with each other.

so if you're still not done comparing sizes, mine is always bigger

thank you.

Eventually China will economicly surpass the U.S. though that is still a ways down the road. What the rest of the world is concerned about. Is the almost bully attitude they have taken with their neighbors. China wants to lay claim to resources that by international standards would not belong to them.

Now add that with the extreme nationalism that seems to be taking hold. And it gives the world some pause as to why they need such a large arms build up. Some of the attitudes are remeniscent of pre WWII Japan.

Your poor understanding of history aside, is this another case of the US decided who the bully is in a dispute in which it has no business in?

Philippines says US not needed in South China Sea dispute
The Philippines said Monday that Southeast Asian nations did not need US help in solving territorial disputes with China over the potentially resource-rich South China Sea.
Foreign Secretary Alberto Romulo told reporters that negotiations should be strictly between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and China, without the United States or any other party.

Asked if he supported US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's statement last month hinting at greater US involvement in the South China Sea dispute, Romulo said: "No".

"It's ASEAN and China. Can I make myself clear? It's ASEAN and China. Is that clear enough?" Romulo told reporters.

China insists it has complete sovereignty over the potentially resource-rich Spratly and Paracel islands in the South China Sea. However the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan have competing claims.

Clinton said at the ASEAN Regional Forum in Hanoi last month that the United States had an interest in guaranteeing open navigation and free trade in the South China Sea.

Clinton also called for multilateral talks to resolve the issue, a position long opposed by China, which wants to negotiate competing claims with each individual country.

Romulo said ASEAN continued to push for the implementation of the "code of conduct," an agreement signed with China in 2002 calling for peaceful settlement of the issue between all contending parties.

However it was merely a non-binding accord and ASEAN has been pressing China to make it binding.

"We will continue to discuss it and that has always been in our agenda," Romulo said

The Chinese are a good 2 decades behind the US, and that's only in the few military fields that China focuses on. There's no competition. I'm surprised that Gates made his remark.

The Chinese are a good 2 decades behind the US, and that's only in the few military fields that China focuses on. There's no competition. I'm surprised that Gates made his remark.

Politics. Everyone knows how the status quo stands.

Victory!!!

Philippines has been successfully Finlandized. I was most worried about Philippines since they have historically been closest to US.

Vietnam is already Finlandized by PLAN's assertive actions around Paracel Islands. Now the dominoes are falling. Indonesia should be next. Then Malaysia. Then Thailand and finally Singapore.

The end game is China has a free hand in South China Sea while negotiating some kind of joint development with SE Asian countries. China also gets to build high speed trains through Thailand down to Singapore. Eventually, this allows China to break any blockade of Malacca Straits.

China is only 15-20 years behind USA in most areas. Total parity is expected by around 2020.

China is only 15-20 years behind USA in most areas. Total parity is expected by around 2020.

Never underestimate the US remember? We have to continue fast development of everything and especially of alternative energy, nuclear weapons, carriers, stealth aircraft, ballistic missiles, and submarines otherwise we'll end up in the trash bin of history, reserved only for countries that underestimate the US. :china:

Your poor understanding of history aside, is this another case of the US decided who the bully is in a dispute in which it has no business in?

I understand the history of pre WWII Japan. And it was mostly about control of resources. Just as it is with China today.

Here is an interesting article written by Jeffrey Hornung who is a Postdoctoral Fellow at East Asian Studies Center.

China?s pyrrhic victory Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

China’s pyrrhic victory

By Jeffrey Hornung

The recent maritime row between Japan and China over the seizure of a Chinese fishing boat captain continues to cast a pall over bilateral relations. While Tokyo is facing criticism for blinking in the face of Chinese pressure, Beijing is being criticized by Western and Japanese media as being aggressive in its efforts to expand its control of adjacent maritime areas. Although the incident has largely been framed as a victory for China and a loss for Japan, Beijing has little to celebrate.

The row began on Sept 8 when the Japanese Coast Guard (JCG) arrested the captain of a Chinese fishing trawler operating in Japanese territorial waters off the Senkaku Islands (Daioyutai in Chinese) on the suspicion that he obstructed the official duties of the JCG. According to the JCG, the fishing trawler, captained by Zhan Qixiong, rammed two of their vessels after being ordered to stop.

While Japanese authorities pursued the matter through their domestic legal system, Beijing reacted in increasingly erratic terms. In addition to suspending bilateral cabinet-level exchanges and making repeated calls on Japan’s ambassador to China, including an unceremonious midnight call, Beijing postponed talks with Tokyo on the signing of a 2008 treaty for the joint development of gas fields in the area.

In what was viewed as unnecessary escalation, Beijing followed with actions in areas unrelated to the incident. This included the suspension of a visit by 1,000 Japanese university students to the Shanghai Expo, the postponement of a Japanese pop concert in Shanghai, the urging of domestic travel agencies to exercise restraint in arranging tours to Japan, the halting of shipments of rare-earth materials to Japan, and the targeting of goods bound for export to and import from Japan with thorough customs inspections that add costly delays to shipments.

Then, nearly three weeks after Zhan’s seizure, Wen Jiabao warned of taking further retaliatory measures if Zhan was not released, which was subsequently followed by the arrest of four Japanese nationals in Hebei Province whom Beijing accused of illegally entering a defense zone and videotaping military targets. Shortly after their arrest, the Naha District Public Prosecutors Office released Zhan with a suspended indictment on Sept 24.

While it is difficult for Japan to avoid the image of buckling under Chinese pressure, China has not attained a diplomatic victory worth celebrating. Beijing’s disagreement with Tokyo’s right to arrest Zhan and try him under Japanese domestic law is understandable given that recognizing Tokyo’s right would be de facto recognition of Japan’s sovereignty over the islands. However, the way Beijing chose to handle the matter will have long-lasting negative consequences for the image it is trying to promote.

China has long sought to shake off its “century of humiliation” and become an equal to other great powers. While the West has cried foul on Beijing’s two decades of double-digit defense spending increases and military modernization program, the Chinese leadership has worked hard to reassure its neighbors that these things were not to be feared. Yet, China’s actions vis-à-vis Japan negate these efforts and serve to reinforce the image of China as an aggressive rising power. Tying issues unrelated to the fishing trawler incident to punish Japan appear to be yet another instance of Beijing forcefully pursuing its territorial claims in the South China Sea, Yellow Sea, and the larger East China Sea.

Critics of China have used the incident to demonstrate that Beijing has malicious intentions in its rise. China refutes this. It does not matter which side is right. For a state that is hyper-sensitive to world opinion, China apparently fails to understand that its neighbors look to its actions and perceive it as a potential aggressor. Because regional states are increasingly concerned about China’s forceful diplomacy in dealing with its territorial disputes, Beijing’s behavior will never garner support in the region. Worse, from Beijing’s perspective, not only does it make countries increasingly wary to trust China’s motives behind military modernization, it unites China’s neighbors under a mutually shared interest to protect sovereignty. This, in turn, may serve to push the region closer to the U.S. as it does not lay claim to any territory in the region and prioritizes freedom of navigation.

Gone are the days of worrying about Japan reestablishing some postwar economic version of its Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. It has been replaced by fears that China may be seeking to establish regional dominance akin to the Chinese-centered imperial tribute system. China wants to reassure the region that its rise is peaceful. Yet, as long as Beijing employs tactics that others perceive as strong-armed to resolve territorial issues, it will always do harm to that aim. Beijing needs to be cognizant that short-term victories can create long-term damage.

I understand the history of pre WWII Japan. And it was mostly about control of resources. Just as it is with China today.

Here is an interesting article written by Jeffrey Hornung who is a Postdoctoral Fellow at East Asian Studies Center.

It's poor student of history who is not aware of the political bent of the modern historical narrative. Japan times. Hmmm I wonder if they pick and choose certain articles to suit their political audience.

I'll refer you to this post on the very subject of the use of history in politics.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/1404224-post115.html

China’s pyrrhic victory

By Jeffrey Hornung

The recent maritime row between Japan and China over the seizure of a Chinese fishing boat captain continues to cast a pall over bilateral relations. While Tokyo is facing criticism for blinking in the face of Chinese pressure, Beijing is being criticized by Western and Japanese media as being aggressive in its efforts to expand its control of adjacent maritime areas. Although the incident has largely been framed as a victory for China and a loss for Japan, Beijing has little to celebrate.

The row began on Sept 8 when the Japanese Coast Guard (JCG) arrested the captain of a Chinese fishing trawler operating in Japanese territorial waters off the Senkaku Islands (Daioyutai in Chinese) on the suspicion that he obstructed the official duties of the JCG. According to the JCG, the fishing trawler, captained by Zhan Qixiong, rammed two of their vessels after being ordered to stop.

While Japanese authorities pursued the matter through their domestic legal system, Beijing reacted in increasingly erratic terms. In addition to suspending bilateral cabinet-level exchanges and making repeated calls on Japan’s ambassador to China, including an unceremonious midnight call, Beijing postponed talks with Tokyo on the signing of a 2008 treaty for the joint development of gas fields in the area.

In what was viewed as unnecessary escalation, Beijing followed with actions in areas unrelated to the incident. This included the suspension of a visit by 1,000 Japanese university students to the Shanghai Expo, the postponement of a Japanese pop concert in Shanghai, the urging of domestic travel agencies to exercise restraint in arranging tours to Japan, the halting of shipments of rare-earth materials to Japan, and the targeting of goods bound for export to and import from Japan with thorough customs inspections that add costly delays to shipments.

Then, nearly three weeks after Zhan’s seizure, Wen Jiabao warned of taking further retaliatory measures if Zhan was not released, which was subsequently followed by the arrest of four Japanese nationals in Hebei Province whom Beijing accused of illegally entering a defense zone and videotaping military targets. Shortly after their arrest, the Naha District Public Prosecutors Office released Zhan with a suspended indictment on Sept 24.

While it is difficult for Japan to avoid the image of buckling under Chinese pressure, China has not attained a diplomatic victory worth celebrating. Beijing’s disagreement with Tokyo’s right to arrest Zhan and try him under Japanese domestic law is understandable given that recognizing Tokyo’s right would be de facto recognition of Japan’s sovereignty over the islands. However, the way Beijing chose to handle the matter will have long-lasting negative consequences for the image it is trying to promote.

China has long sought to shake off its “century of humiliation” and become an equal to other great powers. While the West has cried foul on Beijing’s two decades of double-digit defense spending increases and military modernization program, the Chinese leadership has worked hard to reassure its neighbors that these things were not to be feared. Yet, China’s actions vis-à-vis Japan negate these efforts and serve to reinforce the image of China as an aggressive rising power. Tying issues unrelated to the fishing trawler incident to punish Japan appear to be yet another instance of Beijing forcefully pursuing its territorial claims in the South China Sea, Yellow Sea, and the larger East China Sea.

Critics of China have used the incident to demonstrate that Beijing has malicious intentions in its rise. China refutes this. It does not matter which side is right. For a state that is hyper-sensitive to world opinion, China apparently fails to understand that its neighbors look to its actions and perceive it as a potential aggressor. Because regional states are increasingly concerned about China’s forceful diplomacy in dealing with its territorial disputes, Beijing’s behavior will never garner support in the region. Worse, from Beijing’s perspective, not only does it make countries increasingly wary to trust China’s motives behind military modernization, it unites China’s neighbors under a mutually shared interest to protect sovereignty. This, in turn, may serve to push the region closer to the U.S. as it does not lay claim to any territory in the region and prioritizes freedom of navigation.

Gone are the days of worrying about Japan reestablishing some postwar economic version of its Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. It has been replaced by fears that China may be seeking to establish regional dominance akin to the Chinese-centered imperial tribute system. China wants to reassure the region that its rise is peaceful. Yet, as long as Beijing employs tactics that others perceive as strong-armed to resolve territorial issues, it will always do harm to that aim. Beijing needs to be cognizant that short-term victories can create long-term damage.

What? Japan is crying for his failure?

I don't want China's rise to be peaceful. I want to see blood of our enemies spilling on the ground. Only then can China say it has truly risen!

Enemies include a country whose name starts with "J" and another country whose name starts with "I".

I don't want China's rise to be peaceful. I want to see blood of our enemies spilling on the ground. Only then can China say it has truly risen!

Enemies include a country whose name starts with "J" and another country whose name starts with "I".

nah, the best war is one that is won without fighting.

It's poor student of history who is not aware of the political bent of the modern historical narrative. Japan times. Hmmm I wonder if they pick and choose certain articles to suit their political audience.

I'll refer you to this post on the very subject of the use of history in politics.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/1404224-post115.html

The writer is not from Japan, And I can understand why it would be relevant for them to print it. considering what they have recently had to deal with concerning China.

I don't want China's rise to be peaceful. I want to see blood of our enemies spilling on the ground. Only then can China say it has truly risen!Enemies include a country whose name starts with "J" and another country whose name starts with "I".

You attitude proves my point!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom