What's new

China can no longer plead poverty

more indians should visit Shanghai to understand what is really going on in this world. it will certainly let them to question the regime in new delihi which has since its independence fooling the general public in india.

a few elections won't fix the problem for india, because they had so many elections and clearly it failed hard.

what india really need is to reconsider a very simple question:

when the fake democracy was forced onto them, was it for western's sake or for india's

when the fake democracy was forced onto them, was it for western's sake or for India's

Democracy Index 2008:

India:7.8 rank:34

Taiwan :7.82 rank:32

Hong Kong:5.85

nuff said!

ontopic

Could this article be a response to the fact ,during some climate change debate on BBC,there was a lady representing China who brought out the point of 150 million Chinese living under poverty and these emission cuts will effect their jobs and lives.?

Gideon Rachman @ FT is a typical old bigot who thinks he knows it all, from politics to economics to world history to anything about everything.

Just a couple of years ago when Dalai Lama was kicking up a fuss about China and Olympics, Gideon wasted no time drooling some 1960s style of anti-china propagandas on his blog that could have seduced Dalai straight to bed with him, some of the claims were so outrageous it attracted hundreds of condemning comments from the Chinese and people who have lived in China before. Waste no time with his verbal garbage.

Well Americas two party system isn't any much different than China's one party system..its just that the probability of being elected for any party is reduced to half. What builds a country is effective administration. $hitorcracy is ploy for actually installing a government whose remote control is installed in white house. America is the power house of $hitocracy therefore naturally all $shitocrats looks towards American blessing. This runs into an open contest of being able to sell your morals and country as much for as little. Back in the 70's India was playing the same with soviets now its american turn at the chess table.

i maintain that no democracy in he world has accomplished anything other than singing hippie tunes about peace.

mahatir Mohammed built Malaysia and he was effectively not a democrat as he single handly ruled Malaysia for 20 years. Stalin won WW2 and he wasn't a democrat, Alexander wasn't either nor was Mutafa Kemal Ata Turk, Khalid bin Waleed, Salah ud Din Ayubi and as recent as Russian premier Viladmir Putin or Mao Zedong!

it is always so entertaining to see indians telling me they have a great democracy.

when the female literacy is 50%, when the life expectancy is less than 70, how dare you talk about democracy?

:disagree:

Well Americas two party system isn't any much different than China's one party system..its just that the probability of being elected for any party is reduced to half. What builds a country is effective administration. $hitorcracy is ploy for actually installing a government whose remote control is installed in white house. America is the power house of $hitocracy therefore naturally all $shitocrats looks towards American blessing. This runs into an open contest of being able to sell your morals and country as much for as little. Back in the 70's India was playing the same with soviets now its american turn at the chess table.

i maintain that no democracy in he world has accomplished anything other than singing hippie tunes about peace.

mahatir Mohammed built Malaysia and he was effectively not a democrat as he single handly ruled Malaysia for 20 years. Stalin won WW2 and he wasn't a democrat, Alexander wasn't either nor was Mutafa Kemal Ata Turk, Khalid bin Waleed, Salah ud Din Ayubi and as recent as Russian premier Viladmir Putin or Mao Zedong!

Democracy =/= multiparty elections.

that is not the english definition of democracy. the definition of democracy in english is a government which derives its power from the people. our government definitely derived its power from the people - peasants rose up, crushed the military dictatorship, and built a new government. Now we have elections with different candidates.

Candidates are different. Democracy doesn't need multiple parties. That is a waste of time and creates a STATE WITHIN A STATE, like in the US. At the end, only the individual candidates matter - and we have those type of elections.

FACT: China has 10x the number of elected national officials (5000) than the US (500) with only 4x the population. Americans have less participation in their political system than Chinese do.

it is always so entertaining to see indians telling me they have a great democracy.

when the female literacy is 50%, when the life expectancy is less than 70, how dare you talk about democracy?

:disagree:

Yeah, and China's life expectancy is 73 while India's is 70. And India's literacy rate will be 90+ within a decade or so, don't bother your head about it. And don't crow too much about it as of today. And yes, we will certainly 'dare' to teach you people a few things about democracy because let's be frank - what is the point of having a life expectancy of 73 on paper when you're very likely to be mowed down by tanks or tortured to death in prison?!?

Anybody who talks regularly to Chinese officials will be familiar with the mantra that “China is a developing country”. But Shanghai, which I visited last week, mocks this modest description. With its eight-lane highways, its modern and efficient subway, its forest of neon-lit skyscrapers, giant new airport and chic hotels, China’s commercial capital is defiantly developed.

Of course, the city has pockets of poverty. And Shanghai is not China, where 150m people (out of a total Chinese population of more than 1.3bn) still live on less than $2 a day. Even so, China’s insistence that it is a poor, developing nation is beginning to wear a little thin. This, after all, is a country that is sitting on more than $2,500bn worth of foreign reserves.

In important ways, China is now a rich nation. But its insistence that it is still a “developing country” has become a shield to protect itself against vital political and economic changes that matter profoundly to the rest of the world.

China says that it is too underdeveloped to contemplate letting its currency float freely on the foreign exchange markets. Instead it is managing the level of its currency, through capital controls and constant intervention on the foreign-exchange markets. But by holding the value of the renminbi down artificially, China has built up a vast trade surplus and created a major source of tension with the US, causing talk of “global currency wars” and a breakdown of the international economic system.

If China was simply a medium-sized country, the world could shrug off its currency policies. But it is now the world’s largest exporter, the world’s largest manufacturer and its second-largest economy. And yet it is the only major trading nation to use capital controls to prevent its currency rising to market levels. It is that anomaly that is at the heart of current global economic tensions.

Even the Americans are not asking China to move to a fully-convertible currency overnight.
The country’s banking system is probably still too unsophisticated to cope with the flows of “hot money” that would generate. But the rest of the world does have a right to expect China to allow its currency to rise faster – and to set a time-frame to move to market-determined exchange rates.

Yet when I made that suggestion to a group of Chinese academics in Shanghai last week I got a distinctly frosty response. If China let the level of the renminbi be determined by the markets, I was told, the US would deliberately use its financial institutions to destabilise China. And another thing: if the Americans care so much about their competitiveness, why didn’t they just pay themselves wages at Chinese levels?

That exchange showed that what should be a technical economic issue – currency management – has now become highly emotional and politicised. So much so, that it now seems easier to call for democracy in China than to call for a stronger currency.

This paradox is personified by Wen Jiabao, the prime minister. In recent months Mr Wen has created a stir by talking on several occasions of the need for China to move towards democracy. Whatever Mr Wen actually means, it is striking that a word that used to be all but banned by the official Chinese media is now being bandied about. Yet on the currency issue, Mr Wen is orthodoxy itself. He recently warned that forcing China to have a stronger currency risked causing social chaos that would then destabilise the whole world.

The terms of the currency and democracy arguments are oddly similar. In both cases the official line has been that China is not yet ready – it is still a developing nation, you see. But with politics, as with economics, that line of argument gets less persuasive as the country gets richer. China now has a higher per-capita gross domestic product than Indonesia, another very populous Asian nation that has already made the transition from dictatorship to democracy.

The real Chinese exception when it comes to democracy is not the country’s relative poverty – but its turbulent and tragic history, its huge size and the government’s fear that a more open political system would encourage separatism in the provinces of Tibet and Xinjiang.

Just as it is unrealistic to expect China to move instantly to a floating exchange rate, so it is unreasonable to demand that China should move to one-man, one-vote tomorrow. But both Chinese people and foreigners have an interest in seeing China make a start by considerably improving civil liberties, such as freedom of the press and independence of the courts.

The Chinese government insists that foreigners have no legitimate interest in the country’s internal political development. But once again China’s sheer size makes that argument hard to maintain. In the next 15 years the Chinese economy is likely to become bigger than that of the US. At that stage, for the first time for a century and more, the world’s most powerful economy would not be a democracy. The rest of the world would be legitimately alarmed by that.

The Chinese government likes slogans. In the week in which it became clear that the country’s next president in 2012 will be Xi Jinping, it seems appropriate to propose a couple of slogans for the new man. My suggestions would be “Strong country, strong currency”. Or “Free country, floating exchange rate”.

FT.com / Columnists / Gideon Rachman - China can no longer plead poverty

Geithner's hidden G-20 agenda
Asia Times Online :: Asian news and current affairs

Yeah, and China's life expectancy is 73 while India's is 70. And India's literacy rate will be 90+ within a decade or so, don't bother your head about it. And don't crow too much about it as of today. And yes, we will certainly 'dare' to teach you people a few things about democracy because let's be frank - what is the point of having a life expectancy of 73 on paper when you're very likely to be mowed down by tanks or tortured to death in prison?!?

haha, ok, do you know what happens if you beat a police officer in china?

ʵÅÄÄϾ©½»¾¯Ö´·¨ Ç¿º·ÀÏÌ«ÍÑ¿ã×Ó½«½»¾¯´ò»è(ͼ) - ¾¯²ìÖ®¼Ò - ÌúѪÉçÇø

an old lady took off her pants and started beating a police officer until he was unconscious - the police officer did not hit her back! bystanders called 120 and other police took the first officer to the hospital.

do you know what will happen if you try to attack a police officer in the US? bang, you're dead.

do you know what will happen if you try to attack a police officer in india?

who gets tortured in prison? the person from a country where police brutalize civilians and **** women, or from a country where police are unarmed, don't hit women and are good mannered?

haha, ok, do you know what happens if you beat a police officer in china?

ʵÅÄÄϾ©½»¾¯Ö´·¨ Ç¿º·ÀÏÌ«ÍÑ¿ã×Ó½«½»¾¯´ò»è(ͼ) - ¾¯²ìÖ®¼Ò - ÌúѪÉçÇø

an old lady took off her pants and started beating a police officer until he was unconscious - the police officer did not hit her back! bystanders called 120 and other police took the first officer to the hospital.

do you know what will happen if you try to attack a police officer in the US? bang, you're dead.

do you know what will happen if you try to attack a police officer in india?

who gets tortured in prison? the person from a country where police brutalize civilians and **** women, or from a country where police are unarmed, don't hit women and are good mannered?

Don't give me this crap about good-mannered Chinese and ill-mannered Indians. You want me to post incidents of Police being ill-treated by civilians in India? Or would you rather have me post images of the real face of China's police and forces, courtesy Falun Gong?

I'm guessing, neither.

Don't give me this crap about good-mannered Chinese and ill-mannered Indians. You want me to post incidents of Police being ill-treated by civilians in India? Or would you rather have me post images of the real face of China's police and forces, courtesy Falun Gong?

I'm guessing, neither.

Do not compare the literacy rate, I ask you, do you know what China's literacy rate standard?

Falun Gong? It was a cult, not the normal tissue, they think you can not go to the hospital when you are sick? They think that will be able to go out with a computer virus (Taiwan's information), and of course their leader is full of pockets for money. Falun Gong seriously disturbed social order and people's lives, you do not know Falun Gong, now, if they do not disturb the social order will have a quiet life in China. I suggest that you do not listen to those crazy publicity, their propaganda is a joke, even if Taiwaner against CCP, but also treat them as a joke.

Last edited:
If Falun Gong originated in the U.S. it would be considered a cult along the lines of the Branch Davidians (minus the guns but plus the self-disembowlment) but since it started in China it is the victim of political suppression.

Chinese civilian police 民警(not PAP) is an unthankful job, unless his is a corrupt cop. Most civilian police do not response in kind if they are attacked verbally and bodily. I think that is the official directive given to them.

I remember a TV news on a Taiwanese in Guangzhou beaten up a policeman, and the poor guy didn't even hit back. The incident happened when the police was checking residency registration at the Taiwanese's house.

There have been many cases in the news, it was even hotly discussed in Phoenix TV One Tiger One Talk 一虎一席谈, if the Hong Kong police were to be subjected to the such abuse, the offender will almost certainly be arrested immediately.

Back
Top Bottom