What's new

China landed at Gawadar port

Its all about trade. China has now safe passage to middle east trade. More trade is better for region. Then war will be on business table rather then weapon.

Really? But your country men above desperately sounds like giving an open invitation to PLA(N) for setting up a base. LOL

Are they going to say after landing, "One small step for man, a giant leap for mankind." ?
LOL

Title Sounds like Gawadar port is on Moon. :lol:

i think it is just giving a path to China for trade in middle east. its not like selling the port, Pakistan of course will get get profit.

China comes to operate Gwadar
419578-GwadarportPHOTOFILE-1344485372-636-640x480.jpg

ISLAMABAD: The largely-static cranes at Gwadar port may start functioning again as China takes over Operations.
The Port Singapore Authority, which was supposed to develop the Gwadar port over a 40-year period, has decided to pull out only five years to end their $750 million agreement to operate the deep sea port at Gwadar. The deal between the Gwadar Port Authority (GPA), on behalf of the government of Pakistan, and the Singapore giant ran into trouble mainly because of two reasons.
Firstly, the security situation in Balochistan hindered the PSA from investing the money it had promised in the agreement for the development of the port and off-shore infrastructure.
Secondly, the Supreme Court had issued a stay order against the allotment of Gwadar land to a foreign company, back in December 2010, on petitions filed by some individuals, including the Balochistan governor.
Chinese leaders, according to the source, had always been keen to take control of the port they built for their own interests.
Another source, who was part of a meeting to prepare the agenda for President Zardari’s visit to Beijing, said Islamabad was ready to hand over Gwadar to a Chinese company once the deal with PSA is scrapped.

:pakistan::china:

Realistically, Pakistan should be able to make and run the port on it own by now. We have gained enough experience from Britain, Portugal and Singapore.

I guess, for the time being we are trying to make sure that there is a naval base. China's presence will hurt Indian and American activities in Balochistan.

No idiot it means that china now has a majority stake in the port. The profits earned by the port will have to be shared with the chinese and yet again Pakistan will be Poor and underdeveloped in maritime industry. Just like always. India today is building worlds biggest ports like mundra, pipapav, kuttapulli and many more, Pakistan is selling its ports. Khud ek port bhi develop nahi kar sakteeeee :hitwall:

china will run the port bringing its expertise in running many of the world biggest and busiest ports (List of world's busiest ports by cargo tonnage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , List of world's busiest container ports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

pakistan, through this cooperation with china will hopefully pick up the skills and put it to good use, in the mean time, if the china-paksiatn rail way is built, then goods can be offloaded in pakistan and sent to china by rail. and about inida, lol go check the list.

Pakistan may transfer operational control of the Gwadar deep-water port from Singapore’s PSA International to a Chinese company, The Financial Times has reported.
“We have reached an agreement with PSA, where they have decided to leave the port at Gwadar. They are in discussions with a possible Chinese investor,” Minister of Ports and Shipping Babar Ghauri told The Financial Times in an interview.
Gwadar, built with a loan from China, is close to the Pakistan-Iran border and the Strait of Hormuz, through which much of the Gulf’s oil exports are carried by ship to international markets.
PSA began running the port five years ago under a contract valid for up to 40 years, but is now preparing to leave.
PSA declined to comment but Mr Ghauri and Singaporean sources confirmed that PSA’s imminent handover of control was triggered in part by Pakistan’s failure to fulfil its commitments, one being the building of a motorway link to service the port. Other differences included the government’s failure to transfer land for the port’s expansion.
“There is a decision for PSA to leave and we have given our consent,” said Mr Ghauri, who declined to name the potential Chinese replacement.
However, officials said strategic as well as commercial interests played a part in the change.
China’s assumption of the port contract “will be a landmark development, both for Pakistan and China”, said a senior government official. “This has great value for China,” he said. “We believe the Chinese may use their presence at Gwadar to lay down a pipeline in future for transporting Middle Eastern oil to western China.”
Another Pakistani official said the port contract would be “the second most vital Chinese investment in Pakistan after the Karakoram highway”, the road linking Pakistan to western China.
Gwadar port, which had a total investment of $248 million, received $198 million in funding from China, according to the commerce ministry in Beijing.

Not to undermine the Port of Chabahar I believe the Gwadar Port has a much bigger potential, because the sanction by the US/West on Iran is going to limit quite a large number of participants on the former.

Trade? Passing through Afghanistan and Pakistani tribal areas? Best of luck for that. :tup:
It will happeyn and through this trade you will see that terrorist attacks reduce. Bcoz there are still many people in TTP,BLA and other Terrorist organization(obviously backed by RAW & CIA) ,who have joined these organizations bcoz of unemployment and financial insecurity.if the trade goes on then this element will reduce. and eventually terror attacks will reduce.

Don't know about Gwadar but Chabahar had been a great shock for Pakistan.
Chabahar port is not a shock, Considering Iran who is fellow muslim brother, our Gawadar port will be more important since chinese presence And link between Pakistan and China.

Not to undermine the Port of Chabahar I believe the Gwadar Port has a much bigger potential, because the sanction by the US/West on Iran is going to limit quite a large number of participants on the former.

Its not the potential of Chabahar vs Gwadar but India using Chabahar getting access to Afghanistan and Afghanistan getting alternate route for trade which Pakistanis never want.

Its not the potential of Chabahar vs Gwadar but India using Chabahar getting access to Afghanistan and Afghanistan getting alternate route for trade which Pakistanis never want.

Then the two ports are of different usages and are not in direct competition with each other. I think my government will come back as a participant when China and Pakistan get things going here.

Then the two ports are of different usages and are not in direct competition with each other. I think my government will come back as a participant when China and Pakistan get things going here.

lol......the fact that they left all of a sudden with having 30 years on the lease remaining isnt selfexplanatory enough?

You're out because China needs a port with which to bypass Malacca Straits.....and for the foreseeable future you ain't coming back.

This is ofcourse only my speculation, but i'd do the same if i was China.
Disperse assets and in the event of a war and attack on the port, Pakistan would be easily dragged into it as an ally.
win-win.

Back
Top Bottom