What's new

China to build mega oil pipeline from Gwadar to Kashgar

This is what I was waiting to hear, this brings the Saudis and other GCC states into CPEC, now if we can bring the Iranians to see the light as well and get them to integrate into CPEC then the Iran-Pak-China pipeline can also see fruition.

Ever heard NEWS? Pakistan is NEWS. It will connect East, West, North and South. I am waiting when India formally joins.

5nvtom.jpg

Sir why Indians are so concern about the China and Pakistan......
why they always showing concerns apprehensions and bla blaaaaa

SIr any link to the article...?
Keep your friends close but enemies closer - a line from the movie "God Father".

It will bring investment into Pakistan. It will create jobs and industrial parks.
Not to mention the transit revenue generated by this.

It's just a pipeline dear, calm down!!

Nowadays whatever China does for its own good is expected to do wonders for Pakistan, build its economy, create jobs for all, transform Pakistani industries, completely transform Pakistan...etc. etc. Even imports of fake copies of handbags and accessories from China is claimed to be transforming Pakistan in a thread where a hundred Pakistanis 'celebrate' being flooded by Chinese imports of non-essential goods and a screwed up trade balance. GOOD if all these transformations actually happen, but it's very unlikely. I understand Pakistani's desire to do better, but a bit balanced expectations will save Pakistan from bigger disappointments in the future.

Last edited:
It's just a pipeline dear, calm down!!

Nowadays whatever China does for its own good is expected to do wonders for Pakistan, build its economy, create jobs for all, transform Pakistani industries, completely transform Pakistan...etc. etc. Even imports of fake copies of handbags and accessories from China is claimed to be transforming Pakistan in a thread where a hundred Pakistanis 'celebrate' being flooded by Chinese imports of non-essential goods and a screwed up trade balance. GOOD if all these transformations actually happen, but it's very unlikely. I understand Pakistani's desire to do better, but a bit balanced expectations will save Pakistan from bigger disappointments in the future.
I was talking in the context of CPEC

Expecting common sense from an Indian. How foolish of me.

Last edited:
I was talking in the context of CPEC

Expecting common sense from an Indian. How foolish of me.

You might be needing this:
Burnol_The_Original_Burns_Cream_0.35_OZ_10_Grams_1__21207.1391759993.1280.1280.JPG

Even CPEC won't do the kind of miracles that you are expecting.

Sir why Indians are so concern about the China and Pakistan......
why they always showing concerns apprehensions and bla blaaaaa

There is absolutely no apprehension at all. The reason Indians ask questions about CPEC is because Pakistanis are trumpeting the CPEC as the biggest achievement of Pakistan after the nuclear bomb. Indians are keen and most here have only asked pertinent questions that sadly Pakistanis have answered only with bravado and not logic.

Go back and and find the first post by an Indian on this thread and see the silly reasons and pictures posted by Pakistanis. Heck, Pakistanis themselves don't know the full financing details of the project, the kickbacks and the unconditional privileges to the Chinese at all times overlooking your own businesses. Some deals here look totally one-sided but yet there has not been a single, logical explanation from any Pakistani other than how the next Dubai and Singapore are going to be in Pakistan.

Even CPEC won't do the kind of miracles that you are expecting.

My three expectations were 1)Industrial parks 2)Jobs 3)Transit Revenue

1)
China to set up massive industrial park at Gwadar - The Nation
Quoted from the article ' a massive Industrial Park at Gwadar, which will house an oil city and petroleum refining zone'

2)Jobs- Most of the highways, bridges and pipelines in CPEC are being built by FWO.( PAK Army's Infrastructure Arm). Except for those in Kashmir where the terrain is unforgiving and
so the army does not have the expertise to build there without Chinese help.
source:
http://tribune.com.pk/story/1039480/nawaz-inaugurates-gwadar-hoshab-m-8-portion-of-cpec/

Quoted from the article 'He lauded the FWO team for completing the road despite numerous challenges,'

3)Transit revenue- This one is quite obvious.

Last edited:
My three expectations were 1)Industrial parks 2)Jobs 3)Transit Revenue

1)
China to set up massive industrial park at Gwadar - The Nation
Quoted from the article ' a massive Industrial Park at Gwadar, which will house an oil city and petroleum refining zone'

2)Jobs- Most of the highways, bridges and pipelines in CPEC are being built by FWO.( PAK Army's Infrastructure Arm). Except for those in Kashmir where the terrain is unforgiving and
so the army does not have the expertise to build there without Chinese help.
source:
http://tribune.com.pk/story/1039480/nawaz-inaugurates-gwadar-hoshab-m-8-portion-of-cpec/

Quoted from the article 'He lauded the FWO team for completing the road despite numerous challenges,'

3)Transit revenue- This one is quite obvious.

Good if all that happens, but here are some points to see it in a more realistic manner, sans the hyperbole:

1. Industrial park at Gwadar:

a) How much stake Pakistani govt. and/or Pakistani companies hold in that park, or is it a Chinese business refining crude oil on the port and reducing the transit cost for themselves? If Pakistan's contribution is only the piece of land, then I doubt Pakistan is gaining much in terms of revenue. In fact I am expecting that China will get more than a fair share for the unequal nature of the China-Pakistan relationship and Pakistan's dependency on China. But I may be wrong on the last part.

b) China has this tendency to avoid local recruitment and getting the job done with Chinese workers to the extent possible, so how many jobs will go to Pakistanis, especially the high value jobs, remains a question.

c) Even if all goes in Pakistan's favour, still it's a transit route with a refinery and port, it will have some positive returns for Pakistan, but not to the astronomical proportions that Pakistanis are projecting in hundreds of threads. especially when Pakistan is not a tiny country but a population of 150 million!

2. Jobs from road and pipeline making:

That's temporary employment if Pakistanis are getting that job, the road and pipeline will be finished in a few years. Roads also boost business activities, but for whom? Pakistanis seems to be giving away all manufacturing activities to China and importing everything from there, even silly handbags and umbrellas!! That road might be used for importing Chinese stuff than to support its own manufacturers who must be distressed by Chinese competition in everything. So who will get richer here remains doubtful.

3. Transit revenue:

There is hardly any clarity on that, China is investing and making all the infrastructure they need, and China also has upper hand in the relationship, and they are hardcore business-minded, so Pakistan might not get much in terms of transit fee.

Read post number five. I have explained the issues that you have laid out in very few words.

"In the end it will be up to Pakistani leaders to keep the interests of the country at the forefront
and make sure this project fully benefits Pakistan"------post number 5 written by me

If (A BIG IF) the Pakistani leaders are sincere (which they are not) then this project can be a big boost for Pakistan.

The Chinese just want a route to the Arabian sea. It all depends on how we play our part of the game. If we play it right we can maximize the benefits and if we don't then it won't be of any benefit to us.

Good if all that happens, but here are some points to see it in a more realistic manner, sans the hyperbole:

1. Industrial park at Gwadar:

a) How much stake Pakistani govt. and/or Pakistani companies hold in that park, or is it a Chinese business refining crude oil on the port and reducing the transit cost for themselves? If Pakistan's contribution is only the piece of land, then I doubt Pakistan is gaining much in terms of revenue. In fact I am expecting that China will get more than a fair share for the unequal nature of the China-Pakistan relationship and Pakistan's dependency on China. But I may be wrong on the last part.

b) China has this tendency to avoid local recruitment and getting the job done with Chinese workers to the extent possible, so how many jobs will go to Pakistanis, especially the high value jobs, remains a question.

c) Even if all goes in Pakistan's favour, still it's a transit route with a refinery and port, it will have some positive returns for Pakistan, but not to the astronomical proportions that Pakistanis are projecting in hundreds of threads. especially when Pakistan is not a tiny country but a population of 150 million!

2. Jobs from road and pipeline making:

That's temporary employment if Pakistanis are getting that job, the road and pipeline will be finished in a few years. Roads also boost business activities, but for whom? Pakistanis seems to be giving away all manufacturing activities to China and importing everything from there, even silly handbags and umbrellas!! That road might be used for importing Chinese stuff than to support its own manufacturers who must be distressed by Chinese competition in everything. So who will get richer here remains doubtful.

3. Transit revenue:

There is hardly any clarity on that, China is investing and making all the infrastructure they need, and China also has upper hand in the relationship, and they are hardcore business-minded, so Pakistan might not get much in terms of transit fee.

Read post number five. I have explained the issues that you have laid out in very few words.

"In the end it will be up to Pakistani leaders to keep the interests of the country at the forefront
and make sure this project fully benefits Pakistan"------post number 5 written by me

If (A BIG IF) the Pakistani leaders are sincere (which they are not) then this project can be a big boost for Pakistan.

The Chinese just want a route to the Arabian sea. It all depends on how we play our part of the game. If we play it right we can maximize the benefits and if we don't then it won't be of any benefit to us.

Fair enough. :tup:

Using pumps. How do you think oil gets from Karachi to upcountry using PARCO KMK and PARCO MFM?
The height above sea level of the Khunjareb Pass is 4,693 Metres i.e. about 15,400 Feet. In addition the Atmospheric Temperatures are pretty low. Here is the link : Average temperatures and precipitation
In such cases the Oil might coagulate. I am sure that the Chinese will find a solution. What are you views on how to prevent coagulation of the Oil so that it can travel through the Pipeline without any hindrance.

The height above sea level of the Khunjareb Pass is 4,693 Metres i.e. about 15,400 Feet. In addition the Atmospheric Temperatures are pretty low. Here is the link : Average temperatures and precipitation
In such cases the Oil might coagulate. I am sure that the Chinese will find a solution. What are you views on how to prevent coagulation of the Oil so that it can travel through the Pipeline without any hindrance.

I'm no engineer. As an example , the Alyeska pipeline passes through extremely cold areas. They've managed to sort the coagulation problem via heating at the pumps and maintaining a minimum flow level - i'm guessing that's how they'll do it.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom