What's new

China to Build Two Missile Corvettes for Bangladesh

i thought you guys were interested in frigates......what about the news of acquiring old f-22b???has the deal been scrapped???

I think the reporter is talking about the 2 new LPCs not corvettes and BN awarded a contract to a Chinese company for 2 new corvettes which is most likely to be the 'type 56'(custom made).From now on BN will induct only those corvettes/frigates which can facilitate helicopter.

6iv29x.jpg

4zyy36.jpg

Now, after reading yours, monitor's post #16 and some others I am sure of the following outcome:

1) The 1st post by Zabanya actually says of two FACs 64m long and weighing 648 ton.

2) The news sent by monitor in Post #16 speaks of a newly designed heavy set Corvette called 056with more than 1700 ton displacement. Here is a quotation from that news that says BN has shown interest in this type of Corvettes:

"The corvette could also be intended for export markets, with reports that the Bangladeshi navy has already expressed interest in its acquisition."

3) It means after inducing two China made FACs, BN intends to induce two large Corvettes, too.

Gentlemen, do not also forget that BN has already ordered a total of three Frigates from China and also three more Frigates from South Korea. BN will retire three of its old Frigates and induce six new ones. So, for the foreseeable future BN will have a total of eight Frigates.

Any links bro?

Plrease read post #16 sent by Monitor.

Nope,a Turkish and a Chinese company took part in the tender and the Chinese won. Thats all i know.You know from where i used to get these infos,its from the same place.

Does that mean that we just lost the Milgem Corvette? :suicide2:

PS - Posting after a long time.

Cheers!!!

Sorry, I might have made a mistake. China has delivered probably a LPC only a few weeks ago. Please correct me if I am wrong. BN has produced one Khulna-class FAC and has taken delivery of it. Another four are now under construction. All with Chinese technical collaboration.

That's probably ready to be delivered but not delivered yet...I'm also not sure though.

Khulna class is actually not FAC, it's OPV, see at wikipedia:

List of ships of the Bangladesh Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two we're getting from China and the 6 (1 completed) being developed at KSY fall in the category of patrol vessel. The difference is on displacement. On the other hand FAC is different, it's used for faster deployment (not for patrolling). Besides, all FACs carry either missile or torpedo or ASW weaponry, patrol vessels may/may not carry them.

I wonder if the Corvettes made in China can be called Dhaka class. Please someone clarify it. Now about Large Missile Patrol Craft, I thought China has already supplied one and these two are different because these are being called Corvette. So, please someone get through all the information and find out the delivary status, types and the classes of these recent boats.

I think Bangladesh should name only home made ones as deshi class not the ones built abroad.

@Joe Shearer.......technically destroyers are not the "largest and strongest"......i guess that title goes to the the cruisers....the Kirov class......but since most nations dont operate cruisers...we can for all intent and purposes call them (destroyers) the largest and strongest...

as for speed.....if i am not mistaken....the corvettes are supposed to the fastest among the three major groupings...destroyers,frigates and corvettes...or more generally there is not much difference in the specified speed of the three.....but then again that is more of a functionality of the engine output, the operational requirement and the design.....than a necessary attribute that helps in classification.....

@kazhugu

Well, actually, I was referring to the grouping of destroyers, frigates and corvettes; of course the smallest cruiser is bigger than the largest destroyer. If you look at my comment once again, I've actually referred to the relative size of destroyer and cruiser. Except that in order to avoid the cost-cutting of Congress, the US Navy has described its Aegis-equipped vessels as destroyers, when they should really be light cruisers. I can specify the US Navy classes if you like, and their designations.

About not much speed between the three, or corvettes being supposed to be the fastest of the three, this is wholly incorrect, not partially. There are three types of hull that we are looking at, planing, semi-displacement and displacement. The fastest vessels have planing hulls, and these hulls, generally found on fast attack craft, can go up to speeds of 40 knots. These hulls present a minimal surface for immersion, hence their drag is the least.

All semi-displacement and displacement hulls have natural speeds which are a function of several parameters of the hulls themselves. These natural speeds can be exceeded by increasing the size of engine, but that carries a huge penalty in terms of efficiency, and beyond a point, it is not worthwhile increasing the size of engines to increase speed through the water: the penalty of fuel usage is simply too high.

In general, for displacement hulls, the larger the hull, the greater the natural speed.

I hope you understand from that what is implied.

That is why I mentioned at the beginning of this note that it is wholly wrong to consider a corvette to be the fastest of the three. If it is a displacement hull corvette (and I don't know of any other type), then it simply cannot technically have a natural speed equal to a destroyer. Or a frigate.

Hope that helps.

There's tons of technical stuff on this; if anybody is desperately keen to know, I can dig it out and reprint it.

good news for BD :enjoy:

Can anybody tell me what type of Corvettes or frigates does Mayanmar possess which BN might have to face in future???:what:

Back
Top Bottom