What's new

China's 5G Fighter 'a showoff'

Bapreay!! you have to understand that the F117 is a ultimate stealth plane no doubt on it, but that is not the derivative for the PAK FA or the J20. these two planes are designed for minimal radar cross section and not to evade radar by deflecting the radar waves as the F117 does. and also when it comes to dog fight F117 is a sitting duck, PAK FA and J20 are designed for high speed and maneuverability just like the F22 raptor.

I didn't say that the PAK FA or the J-20 are derivatives of the F-117. In fact the F-117 is not a 'fighter' even though it is classed as a 'stealth fighter'.

The F-117's primary role was to knock out enemy air defenses without the enemy even knowing what's going to hit them. The first Gulf War serves as proof of its main role. Maintaining air-superiority was the job of the F-14s, F-15s and others. And besides, the F-117 retired back in 2008.

The composite materials and the engineering behind them (materials engineering) on the F-117's body was a military secret. And of-course, the Russians scrambled through the wreckage after the Nighthawk was shot down back in the late 90s.

My guess is that it was from there they got at least some idea about the engineering behind the composite materials actually needed to build a stealth aircraft. The Russians did not know about this important feature in stealth aircraft design.

It is not just the shape of the aircraft that matters. Having the know how of engineering, and producing the right material is also important. Some of the key factors for the design of a stealth aircraft are:

-Shaping
-Coatings and absorbers
-High temperature coatings
-Component design
-Reducing infrared radiation

I think that the Russians and the Chinese did not carry out sufficient research on the material part, and perhaps other factors when it came to 'stealthy' aircraft design. Perhaps not even realizing the potential.

The Americans did all that. All the way.

The bottom line is, they must have had some input into the PAK FA and J-20 designs after observing the F-117 wreckage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom