What's new

China's anti-ship missile not a threat: Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma

The ASBMs (if they exist) are in the hands of 2nd artillery, PLA's strategic nuclear missile unit, they will never declare their true capabilities.

All we know is that there are research papers that showed the feasibility of developing these missiles by the chinese scientists, an US intelligence report that claimed PLA successfully conducted tests in 2005 and the US navy reacted by moving out of shallow waters. I also watched a chinese central tv interview a chinese military analyst said "hypothetically" if the PLA possessed this weapon and used it to hit the US carriers, the dire consequences it would cause.

Basically if these missiles exist and are used effectively against a carrier, it'd be nothing short of a pearl harbor II and the US would engage in an all out war, a scenario that has never happened against any nuclear super power nations, then the matter would no longer be about some ASBMs, we'd have much more destructive weapons to worry about. That scenario would never happen hopefully -- you don't possess those "kill weapons" to kill, you use it as deterrent just as nuclears.

In fact I think even in the unlikely event of an escalated conflict with taiwan and the US intervenes, the DF-21s still won't be used, taiwan is simply not worth it for mainland to take on that much risk, a conventional warfare under a controlled regional conflict setting would be more likely in that unfortunate case, you don't shoot nuclear capable ballistic missiles no matter what type of warhead is actually deployed, the chances and costs of a misunderstanding is simply too high.

Those weapons just as nuclear weapons should not be a threat to india too -- why on earth would india want to invade china (and engage in a conflict so large that China feels necessary to retaliate with DF21s)?

Peace.

Last edited:
Well that's the point, at the re-entry phase the missile's speed is very high and it's impossible for a ship to outmaneuver or a missile to intercept, most of the missile interception happens at the early take off stage, even when the missile enters mid-flight stage the difficulty of an interception increases significantly and even the American's have low probability of intercepting it based on the current technology, to successfully intercept a missile at late re-entry stage is not being heard of so far. Maybe their laser technology can do something about it some line down the future, who knows, technology is ever evolving that's for sure.
Wrong...Nike-Zeus demonstrated a hit-to-kill capability back in the mid 1960s...

Nike (rocket) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However, the Nike Zeus system did demonstrate a hit-to-kill capability against ballistic missiles during the early 1960s.
So it is far from impossible to have a kinetic interceptor today. This is about finance, not technology.

In order to have a launch stage interception, which is the most desirable, you need to have the interceptor system near the launch site, which is not always feasible. That leave reentry and mid-course interception, which the US is moving along with the Standard system...

Raytheon Standard Missile-3 Achieves Ninth Hit-to-Kill Intercept In Space
It was the third intercept of a medium-range target with a separating re-entry warhead and the ninth successful intercept for the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense program.
So far the talk about the DF-21 as a viable anti-ship ballistic missile weapon is speculative at best.

If China have to sink a carrier, then its WWIII. So this missile is just a deterrant.

As for the statement by Verma, its a political statement to irk China. No one really knows if this missile works and if his intelligence might be completely fabricated.

yes; if a US carrier has to launch strikes on China such that China is forced to sink it, it will be WW3. However if the US does not launch a preemptive strike on China there will be no need to worry about any of this.

I am no expert on Marv, so I am using f-16 as yard stick to judge the manouvering capabilities of marv. If it is better than f-16 and out-manouver SAMS, then there is no contest. MARV wins! Else SAMs can take down MARV . So my question remain relevent! You may differ.

F-16 uses humans as pilots, which limits maneuverability due to reaction time as well has biological limitations such as g-force caps, which must be taken into account. Hence, missiles are capable of much tighter turns.

We keep getting this brought up and never do the chinese include the obvious consequence of a balistic nuclear strike on an american carrier group.

How'd you know it's nuclear? We can't conclude anything at this time.

China ( somewhat like India :smitten:) has a habit of overstretching their capabilities when they talk. They also said their SD10 missiles can handle stress upto 45 g. Also about their tanks they believe their armor is unpenetrable. So yeah, they do go over the board.

If the missile would have been a cruise missile, it would have been a great worry.

So I am with the officer this time. The anti-ship missile is not a worry.

Please save that habit for your own kind. China didn't confirm the existing of J-10 until it was inducted for a fair number in 2006. the specs of most Chinese weapons are from western country's speculation and intelligence. We don't even know much about the specifications of tank ZTZ99G actually. China never say that their tank is unpenetrable. I remember that its designer does say its armour is equivalent to 1200mm homogeneous steel.

In DF-21's case, it was an American report, not china, said that DF-21 was developed by PLA for anti-ship purpose. Personally i don't believe that. Western media pay too much attentions to china's military buildup and hype the so-called china threat passionately, that might be the reason you got the impression that China likes bragging.

BTW: Except SS-N-22 china bought from Russia long ago, china now have a newly developed cruise missile CJ-10 in service. likewise, its existing was not confirmed until it was disclosed at the 60yrs anniversary parade.

China ( somewhat like India :smitten:) has a habit of overstretching their capabilities when they talk. They also said their SD10 missiles can handle stress upto 45 g. Also about their tanks they believe their armor is unpenetrable. So yeah, they do go over the board.

If the missile would have been a cruise missile, it would have been a great worry.

So I am with the officer this time. The anti-ship missile is not a worry.

I think you should do some homework before posting here. Everyone knows that chinese dont like bragging. We just keep working hard silently. We dont claim something before we can make sure it will be done, in millitory area, we even dont like showing our stuffs to the world even after they inducted.But about india, I think you are right, indian media and polician like doing so like what you said.

I think you should do some homework before posting here. Everyone knows that chinese dont like bragging. We just keep working hard silently. We dont claim something before we can make sure it will be done, in millitory area, we even dont like showing our stuffs to the world even after they inducted.But about india, I think you are right, indian media and polician like doing so like what you said.

Well Admiral Nirmal Verma is a very credible person in india and a navy chief wouldnt talk through his hat.
As far as hyping up the china threat by US is correct , they always need enemies whether real or imagined to keep their Mil-Ind complex going.The latest seems to be china.Before it was WMD aka saddam hussein and before that the Soviet Union.They always have a hegemonistic mindset for ulterior motives. Better to remain away from them. Neither their friendship nor their enemity is good.

yes; if a US carrier has to launch strikes on China such that China is forced to sink it, it will be WW3. However if the US does not launch a preemptive strike on China there will be no need to worry about any of this.

i believe this is all to better deter a us intervention in taiwan, aka very credible WWIII if the usn sails in, also in my personal belief, if ccp invaded tomorrow the US wont do squat

Well save the rant - If it were not for the Indian media you would not find so many reasons to call our products failures - THAT IS THE POWER OF MEDIA - It works as a natural check in the interests of the nation's citizens.

There are many weapons and systems in development that even India does not talk about and what you get to know about is mostly at the time of INDUCTION with the full specs just like you. The other problem with China is the Language Barrier, however with the advent of GOOGLE Translations I believe even that will be eliminated if you government does talk about it in the public so most likely you government will cover it all up like it always does.

It is a matter of two different ideologies and that is it - If our NAVY Chief says its not a threat then we will take it as that. There could be many reasons behind it:

1. Probably a co-operation treaty of China with India in terms of use of water space with clearly defined boundaries

2. It could be that we have counter measures to neutralize such a threat.

3. It could be that we have a similar weapon in the making - who knows!

Well save the rant - If it were not for the Indian media you would not find so many reasons to call our products failures - THAT IS THE POWER OF MEDIA - It works as a natural check in the interests of the nation's citizens.

There are many weapons and systems in development that even India does not talk about and what you get to know about is mostly at the time of INDUCTION with the full specs just like you. The other problem with China is the Language Barrier, however with the advent of GOOGLE Translations I believe even that will be eliminated if you government does talk about it in the public so most likely you government will cover it all up like it always does.

It is a matter of two different ideologies and that is it - If our NAVY Chief says its not a threat then we will take it as that. There could be many reasons behind it:

1. Probably a co-operation treaty of China with India in terms of use of water space with clearly defined boundaries

2. It could be that we have counter measures to neutralize such a threat.

3. It could be that we have a similar weapon in the making - who knows!

What is your point? Indian has more english speakers? Do you know japan has far less english speakers than china?

There are many weapons and systems in development that even India does not talk about and what you get to know about is mostly at the time of INDUCTION with the full specs just like you.

No, just tell some truth, no offense. I know LCA 20 years ago, and your PM said that will let world forget shanghai only remember mumbai in 5 years in 2004. And your govt said will let indian have free 2M band wide internet in 2009, and etc. I can give you many examples. They are acting very difference from whay you said. :blink:

well the admiral is right, the ballistic missile poses no threat to the IN its was never mean for the IN. the USN however on the other hand has made plenty or noises about it.

same goes with India also...Many of India's missiles and defense procurements are just deterrents against...But most people in India don't hate china as we do in the case of Pakistan..We very much see the option of India, China and Russia forming an alliance just like NATO..Base line is we don't want any country to hype anything against any free country as long as it is not threatened, be it PAK or India or China..Peace through out the world..:welcome:

We all have to accept the fact that china is having an upperhand in terms of defence production and congrats to the chinese for that...But Indians don't hate Chinese much..But only when i come to Defence forums like this i can see this kind of hyped up things are there..Baseline is that we don't hate Pakistan also much..only the politicians hypes fuc**d up things and gets their share of votes..anyways peace be with every one and let all these toys remain as toys in their respective warehouses...:china::usflag::pakistan:I can't find an Indian flag some one provide sources for that also..:cheers:

Seems u did some research on this bro..Anyways u have to accept the fact that every country has its own share of morons...Sadly they will be at higher positions most of the times..India is also not exception for this...:cheers:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom