What's new

Chinese EVs Are A Big Threat To Western Automakers Because People Can Actually Afford Them

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

Chinese EVs Are A Big Threat To Western Automakers Because People Can Actually Afford Them​

The average Chinese EV costs less than half as much as the average American or European EV, which leads to a price gap that keeps widening

by Sebastien Bell

October 29, 2023 at 12:00

Chinese EVs Are A Big Threat To Western Automakers Because People Can Actually Afford Them

If you want to buy an electric vehicle in the United States, the cheapest option costs more than twice as much as the least expensive internal combustion vehicle on the market. If you want to buy a new EV in China, the most affordable option costs nine percent less than the cheapest internal combustion vehicle available to you.

This is a sign of the price gap that keeps growing wider in the automotive industry. While the EVs being sold by legacy automakers in the U.S., Europe, and elsewhere still cost more than their internal combustion counterparts, in China, anyone can afford an EV.

In the first half of 2023, the average EV cost €66,864 ($70,462 USD at current exchange rates) in Europe and €68,023 ($71,683 USD) in the U.S., according to data from JATO Dynamics. By contrast, the average EV cost less than half as much in China, ringing in at just €31,165 ($32,842 USD).

微信图片_20231030001025.png

That’s a reflection of a number of factors. For starters, range anxiety in the U.S. has encouraged its automakers to invest almost exclusively in expensive lithium-ion battery technology. In order to conceal the cost of the battery, the majority of EVs are crossovers and SUVs and tend to be premium vehicles. By contrast, less expensive battery chemistries in China have helped drive down the cost of EVs.

Not every aspect of China’s cheap EVs is so rosy, though. Robust unions in the U.S. and Europe mean that workers are paid considerably more there. In addition, well-founded reports that a large portion of China’s manufacturing industry is supported by forced Uyghur labor throw into question the ethics of its success, and raise alarm bells about its human cost.

微信图片_20231030001154.png

However, production costs aren’t the only factor. The Chinese government has also subsidized the purchase of EVs significantly. While U.S. and European countries are also offering tax advantages, China’s approach has been more successful at nurturing an industry that offers a wide variety of vehicles.

While American consumers can choose from 51 all-electric models and Europeans are offered 135, Chinese buyers can pick from 235 EVs. That means that, while there are premium vehicles on offer, there are also cheaper models available. And that may be intentional.

With an eye on international markets, China’s automakers are producing low-priced EVs to earn their relatively novel brands a foothold in a variety of markets. That makes the average Chinese EV cheaper than its competitors around the world, not just in China.

PP-04-scaled.webp

PP-03-2048x1600.webp

PP-02-2048x1655.webp

China has access to abundant and cheap energy, has the most massive scientific pool in the world of EV, has complete dominance of the supply chains operating at a massive scale, there is no way any other country can compete.

EVs are the future especially as gas prices go through the roof.

Their is an URGENT need of competitive priced fully electric EVs, NOT HYBRIDS, in the Pakistan market.

The higher fuel costs and the mid sized Sedans costing USD 25 000 + , which are actually older globally retired models, have people wanting to go for something new and better than whatever the JAPANESE Automakers have to offer locally, in Pakistan.

Waiting for Chinese companies like Xpeng, BYD etc to come fast to Pakistan Market and sell their globally successful models.

Their is an URGENT need of competitive priced fully electric EVs, NOT HYBRIDS, in the Pakistan market.

Waiting for Chinese companies like Xpeng, BYD etc to come fast to Pakistan Market and sell their globally successful models.

Well according to the trending logic here on PDF by Chinese members..hybrids are the better choice over 100% EVs.

Meanwhile most everybody else thinks having two technologies in their car is just going to give you twice as many potential problems.

Last edited:
Well according to the trending logic here on PDF by Chinese members..hybrids are the better choice over 100% EVs.

Meanwhile most everybody else thinks having two technologies in their car is just going to give you twice as many potential problems.
Come one boy cheer for U S A. Lolol. Article was not even written by Chinese, check the source.

Come one boy cheer for U S A. Lolol. Article was not even written by Chinese, check the source.

No, I mean when the Chinese here talk about electric cars they always mention hybrid sales numbers and giving excuses as to why they are superior such as "because you can drive over the border and not have to worry about looking for chargers".

No, I mean when the Chinese here talk about electric cars they always mention hybrid sales numbers and giving excuses as to why they are superior such as "because you can drive over the border and not have to worry about looking for chargers".
Bro, have confidence in America. You don't have to act so desperate and come into every positive Chinese news channel. 20 years ago, Americans don't even know where China is. Today, i see Americans feeling so desperate, and restless. China is a weak country and will definitely crumble and explode. The problem is what if we didn't? I see Americans here constantly comparing with China a 3rd world country, with starving population, poor people, and crumbling infrastructure. Wait, i think i got it wrong, it is the other way round. The only shit propping up US is an overvalued and over printed dollar.

You don't have to act so desperate and come into every positive Chinese news channel.

I was replying to someone (a Pakistani) who actually had something interesting to say...versus Chinese members like you who give vapid replies adding little.

I was replying to someone (a Pakistani) who actually had something interesting to say...versus Chinese members like you who give vapid replies adding little.
I mean you only want to hear what you want to hear. The truth is China is the leading tech holder for battery technologies. CATL a company that nobody ever heard of 10 years ago is making billions in profit. The question is what other companies you have not heard before becoming the same behemoth in various technology.

I mean you only want to hear what you want to hear. The truth is China is the leading tech holder for battery technologies. CATL a company that nobody ever heard of 10 years ago is making billions in profit. The question is what other companies you have not heard before becoming the same behemoth in various technology.

This has nothing to do with what I posted. Why are you going on some weird tangent?

The higher fuel costs and the mid sized Sedans costing USD 25 000 + , which are actually older globally retired models, have people wanting to go for something new and better than whatever the JAPANESE Automakers have to offer locally, in Pakistan.

Electricity prices are expensive in Pakistan, and charging facilities are not available.

Another thing is that Pakistani cars drive on the left side of the road.

Chinese EVs killing Legacy Auto because people can REALLY afford them​

EV in Indonesia is still expensive.

That is one of the reasons why EV is not yet dominating the market.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom