What's new

CM-400AKG: Pakistan's supersonic carrier killer

Cruise missile or not In the end I am definitely sure the missile is detected .. Terrain hugging or like tomahawk never been detected flying is wrong. So i think speed is vital than any technology for a missile to evade or we can say a best option for time and counter measures.

Amazing purchase by PAF.:tup:
I remember some people calling chinese missiles as silkworm missiles.:azn:

A comment from @Tempest II

For those who don't speak Chinese, here is a brief summary of what was said in that video.

The interview is with an Engineer Zhang, who is one of the engineers on the project team that developed the CM-400AKG.

Key Missile stats:
-Range: 100-240km
-Speed: Up to 5.5M
-Diameter: 400mm (zhang did not say if this is with or without fins, but I think it's pretty obvious that this is without fins)
-Length: 5.2m
-Weight: 900kg (approx)
-Guidance: Inertia + Terminal, Terminal guidance methods include: Passive Radar, IR or Visible light (I assume he meant TV guidance).

Other useful bits include repeated emphasis that the missile's entire flight is within the atmosphere (so this isn't an air launched ballistic missile).

Interestingly, when asked to give examples of the kinds of targets the CM-400AKG might be used against, Zhang listed mostly land based high value fixed targets, like command centers, bridges, air defense radar, or even ship borne radar.

With everyone jumping on the 'carrier killer' bandwagon, it appears that the anti-radiation element of this missile's capabilities have been completely overlooked, but I think that the fact that this missile can be configured to be used a 240km M5.5 anti-radiation missile is by far the biggest and most important revelation from the whole interview (maybe the whole air show). The PLA is still relying mainly on YJ82s and YJ62s for AShM work because the CM-400AKG is not primarily an anti-ship missile.

Instead of calling the CM-400AKG a 'carrier killer' a far more appropriate nickname might be 'patriot killer'.

Considering China's access to Russian S300 missile systems and the specs of the missile, if Pakistan also has the ARM version of the CM-400AKG, its impact on the balance of military power in the region could be profound as could potentially allow them to field an effective counter against the best SAMs deployed in the region.

The fact that China seemed to have developed an IR sensor that can function at up to 5.5M speeds is another small but important revelation that makes an ASBM seem more credible.

and a comment by me

Air launched Brahmos is 2.5 tons and can carry 300kg warhead @ mach 3?

on impact say 1 ton of fuel has been conumed,and the remaining total mass is 1.5 tons,then the kinetic energy will be equal to

1500kg X 1020.9 m/s = 780300000 joules ?

this equals 186 kilos of TNT.

add that with 300kg warhead,then total explosive power becomes 486 kg TNT on impact...

but an MKI can carry one Brahmos?

A JF-17 can carry 2 CM-400 AKG
Warhead size same as many other specs is unknown,but probably 100-150 KG

Starting Mass 900 KG...
Say fuel on board is 400KG,then at maximum range mass on impact will be 500KG?
500KG X 1872m/s (MACH 5.5) = 875716961 Joules

The total kinetic energy on Impact converted into equivalent energy Released by TNT explosion come as 200 KG of Equivalent explosive energy on Impact without Warhead..

Now add Warhead to equation..

Total Explosive power 200KG + 150KG = 350KG

For two missiles its 700KG TNT compared to 486 KG TNT for one air launched Brahmos

Last edited by a moderator:
were there any rumours before it was revealed? Are it was a totally surprise.

poor analysis in the thread as it titles as the Chinese Brahmos butonly mentions in it the Brahmos missile rather it should have mentioned abt the other missile.
also the writer is biased too as he mentions that the range of Brahmos is 300km but actually its only 290km

Good news but what about high range SAMS, Armed Drones & attack helicopters. These are required by Pak Army.

In case of joint venture between Pakistan and China , can they develop a hyper-sonic missile like Brahmos II?

Back
Top Bottom