What's new

Colombo and its new look !

No we don`t want to be over populated..Men here wear Condoms,they do something called family planing so that they don`t breed like rabbits.

Most livable cities around the world doesnt even have a 2 m population

Are you stupid? Do you know what is the population of Tokyo ,Seoul, Shanghai , New York City, Los Angeles etc? They have a population of more than 10 million. Tokyo is the most densely populated city in the world and is a 100 years ahead of Colombo. There is no correlation between the population of a city and how livable it is. The greatest cities in the world like New York, London, Tokyo etc have a population of more than 8-10 million.

Colombo district is 247 sqm you can easily see that in a map ! Islamabad`s living standards`s are no where near that of Colombo or any Sri Lankan city.Pakistan is way behind in every socio-economic indicator (i can write a list if you want) as well as the cleanliness.

poverty rate of 10% in colombo district is high according to Sri Lankan standards (national rate is 6% as of 2012) but still lot better than rest of South Asia including Pakistan where 40% of the people live under $1 per day

Even those slums are not comparable to what you get in rest of SA. abject poverty almost doesn`t exist here any more and even those people live in slums (slums by SL standards) go to school , get free healthcare and never heard them die in hunger.

+ AS AZIZAM stated facts in your website are hard to believe.

`33 per cent have limited access to clean water`

This and the facts about sanitation are utter rubbish.Even the national average is lot better than this and Colombo is above national average

Islamabad is far better than Colombo, you're talking rubbish as usual. Also Colombo city is very small compared to Islamabad, Colombo metropolis area is 14.4 sq miles which is extremely tiny you could drive through the entire metropolis area in 20 minutes excluding traffic time if there is a straight axis through the city.

Also what you're not showing are the other parts of Colombo which are severely underdeveloped and are slums. In Islamabad housing, infrastructure, are far better.

107318-20120404.jpg

In some parts of Colombo, informal housing structures, or slums, are built right on waterways. Credit: Amantha Perera/IPS

COLOMBO, Apr 4 2012 (IPS) - Sri Lanka’s capital city Colombo, the vibrant economic and administrative heart of the bustling island nation, is rapidly turning into a city of slums. Home to over 30 percent of the country’s population, one in every two people living in the Greater Colombo Area is a slum dweller.

IPS – ‘Slum Cities’ Need Better Planning | Inter Press Service

Colombo looks mighty impressive! Next year, I'm planning a trip to Sri Lanka. Colombo wasn't high on the places to see there. I was planning to spend only a day there before moving on to Kandy to explore Sigiriya & Galle. Damn, my plan needs to be retweaked now!

Islamabad is far better than Colombo, you're talking rubbish as usual. Also Colombo city is very small compared to Islamabad, Colombo metropolis area is 14.4 sq miles which is extremely tiny you could drive through the entire metropolis area in 20 minutes excluding traffic time if there is a straight axis through the city.

Also what you're not showing are the other parts of Colombo which are severely underdeveloped and are slums. In Islamabad housing, infrastructure, are far better.

IPS – ‘Slum Cities’ Need Better Planning | Inter Press Service

Number of families who live in slums (including small homes) are less than 0.1 million in CMB. (Actual slums 20,000 only) (0.02 million) 3-4 mega projects of housing scheme for them are under construction now and it will finish in this year. Sri Lanka is totally a slum free country with in 3-4 years.

I agree with you about the size of Islamabad. It should be bigger than Colombo.

100 per cent slum free Colombo after 2015

construction of houses for all slum living families starts 18 months ago already 2000 units done and handed over to families, houses locate at colombo 10..,7000 houses already start building at colombo 08,colombo 14 and colombo 06(wellawatta) any one who in srilanka can see the constuction around (dematagoda.wanathamulla,thotalaga)at google maps
i have tons of pics about that but have no permission to but due to lack of post count..

Number of families who live in slums (including small homes) are less than 0.1 million in CMB. (Actual slums 20,000 only) (0.02 million) 3-4 mega projects of housing scheme for them are under construction now and it will finish in this year. Sri Lanka is totally a slum free country with in 3-4 years.

I agree with you about the size of Islamabad. It should be bigger than Colombo.

100 per cent slum free Colombo after 2015

I think this should be given its own thread! Unless it's already been posted?

colombo some random pics

colombo south port colombo international container terminal

colombo old port

Islamabad is a planned city built from scratch through the drawing boards. On the other hand Colombo is not a planned city. Therefore it is better to compare Karachi or Lahore with Colombo.

Looks beautiful. Sri Lanka here I come! For Indians I guess there is visa on arrival, around $25. Interestingly flight tickets Chennai-Colombo (where I currently live) are cheaper than Chennai-Delhi (for my home) :police:

Back
Top Bottom