What's new

Countries that have shown interest in BAFs' modernization program

I agree that we have a much larger air space and the argument i proposed is lame. However,a fiver tier air defence system is easier and a bit cheaper although we seriously need at least a squadron of mulit role aircraft. We can match the 1,000 aircraft but not now. Our budget is only about 1.5 billion and israel itself has a budget around 14 billion which includes a few billion in aid from the USA.

A shame about the WZ-10,great heli. However,seeing a true armed helicopter in BD colours will likely be after 2020.

Why not us :hitwall:

A. Nothing worth buying. Exactly what can you you supply that others can't, that isn't better or/and cheaper.
B. defence policy precludes us purchasing from potential enemy states.
C. China is already our primary supplier, with Russia then Europeans and now the USA is trying wean us away from the Chinese, though not too well.

India has shown interest and and offered arms but im not sure what and i seriously doubt india would offer us HAL tejas or Arjun Tanks.
There are some news articles about it and recently like 2013(I'll try and look for them) and most of them do state a possibility of procurement of arms but again since China and russia are our main suppliers,don't expect a procurement deal of something like 300 million dollars. Also we don't have any such policy of not procuring from enemy states just don't get anything from Israel or anything with Israeli Tech in it.However with that said, Indian weapons do have some israeli tech in it.
The USA,just said,have been trying to get in but again their arms are either far too advanced or too expensive. All i know is that they offer more advanced training than china and russia and have given about 16 defender boats and about 20 metal sharks and 2 WHECs. Jarvis and one is said to be given in 2014 according to Habib. However im sure when our economy is a lot bigger than now,im sure they will start offering a bit more.

i know they hv good low-tech solutions for ground and air-defense but how can Serbians help regarding to Air-force modernization? they don't have a recognized aerospace industry as far as i know....Mi-35Ms would be a good choice for Bangladesh, anti-armor plus anti-piracy/smuggler ops :)

India has shown interest and and offered arms but im not sure what and i seriously doubt india would offer us HAL tejas or Arjun Tanks.
There are some news articles about it and recently like 2013(I'll try and look for them) and most of them do state a possibility of procurement of arms but again since China and russia are our main suppliers,don't expect a procurement deal of something like 300 million dollars. Also we don't have any such policy of not procuring from enemy states just don't get anything from Israel or anything with Israeli Tech in it.However with that said, Indian weapons do have some israeli tech in it.
The USA,just said,have been trying to get in but again their arms are either far too advanced or too expensive. All i know is that they offer more advanced training than china and russia and have given about 16 defender boats and about 20 metal sharks and 2 WHECs. Jarvis and one is said to be given in 2014 according to Habib. However im sure when our economy is a lot bigger than now,im sure they will start offering a bit more.

Really? Please name 1 key piece of equipment bought from India, since independence (the last time they offered anything was to overhaul-upgrade our migs, that was rejected by the BAF). I have lived at Falcon Tower from 2004 -2008 and often asked BAF relatives why they never buy indian equipment, they always laughed and always had the same answer, never gonna happen, the armed forces consider india a potential threat and would never consider purchasing any KEY equipment from them. I asked the same question ages ago to rear admiral m h khan, at Portsmouth, when we visited a old British frigate Bangladesh just bought. Bahia just laughed and said, this was not possible, none of the services would ever buy systems from India. I doubt anything has changed, please enlighten me on anything that we have bought from India, since independence.

As for Israel, we do not recognise the state, and consider the "entity" as an enemy of Bangladesh, so no chance of ever buying anything least of all weapons.

The USAs primary objectives are two fold, reduce Chinese influence and expand the counter terrorism capability of the Bangladesh armed forces to fight what the US perceives to be Islamic fundamentalism, hence their limited assistance. Provision of training, support, some small arms / marine equip and help setting up the SWADS in line with their SEALS.

So no Bangladesh will not buy any equipment from India in the foreseeable future. Whether it has Israeli sourced equip on board or not.

i know they hv good low-tech solutions for ground and air-defense but how can Serbians help regarding to Air-force modernization? they don't have a recognized aerospace industry as far as i know....Mi-35Ms would be a good choice for Bangladesh, anti-armor plus anti-piracy/smuggler ops :)

lmao it is not Bangladesh air force, it is Bangladesh armed forces . that is why i used BAFs' in tittle not BAF's :D

Really? Please name 1 key piece of equipment bought from India, since independence (the last time they offered anything was to overhaul-upgrade our migs, that was rejected by the BAF). I have lived at Falcon Tower from 2004 -2008 and often asked BAF relatives why they never buy indian equipment, they always laughed and always had the same answer, never gonna happen, the armed forces consider india a potential threat and would never consider purchasing any KEY equipment from them. I asked the same question ages ago to rear admiral m h khan, at Portsmouth, when we visited a old British frigate Bangladesh just bought. Bahia just laughed and said, this was not possible, none of the services would ever buy systems from India. I doubt anything has changed, please enlighten me on anything that we have bought from India, since independence.

As for Israel, we do not recognise the state, and consider the "entity" as an enemy of Bangladesh, so no chance of ever buying anything least of all weapons.

The USAs primary objectives are two fold, reduce Chinese influence and expand the counter terrorism capability of the Bangladesh armed forces to fight what the US perceives to be Islamic fundamentalism, hence their limited assistance. Provision of training, support, some small arms / marine equip and help setting up the SWADS in line with their SEALS.

So no Bangladesh will not buy any equipment from India in the foreseeable future. Whether it has Israeli sourced equip on board or not.

Read My post carefully...When did i say we have purchased arms from India???I said they are INTERESTED in supplying certain arms. -http://apdforum.com/en_GB/article/rmiap/articles/online/features/2011/09/30/india-bangladesh-visit
Also again with the policy, Indonesia and singapore aren't enemy states-so why don't we buy from them.
BRICS countries are increasing their domestic defence industry and improving it. However, you NEED to export arms if you want to increase your influence in the Region.We all know that China and Russia are our main weapons providers, they can provide cheaper and give more quickly. It's not a case of "Indias an enemy state" rather it's a case of "theres better,cheaper and more proven weapon platforms avaliable lets get them". Why would we buy MI-171 helis from India (where it would take longer due to the fact they have to ask russian permission) when instead we could get it straight from russia??
Also go back a few(A lot) pages in the Navy Forum,India did give something but it was free and not really a weapon but some sort of station for a naval ship.

Also i will say this to get it clear. Every country looks at it's neighbours and has to assess their risks. Im sure the UK does the same for the US and im sure India would do a risk assessment of every country it has borders with-Pakistan,Bangladesh,China even Nepal or Bhutan or Sri lanka but that doesn't make them enemies.

Israeli weapons will never be bought unless we recognise them and thats not gonna happen unless they actually sort out the mess they made with Gaza.

India is still developing it's industry and as far as our modernization plans go,most of the equipment have been brought from either Russia,China,Europe and the USA. Thats probably the reason why we haven't bought anything from them.

Yes, you are right about the USA trying to reduce Chinese influence and as far as Counter terrorism goes BD is quite successful in that aspect.However, training and small arms won't help decrease chinese influnce. Its,like i said before, we do not have the money or INFRASTRUCTURE to accommodate such sophisticated weapons. Westerns jet like f-16 were ruled out of the our future 4.5 figther program because it would be too expensive to adapt to using them since we don't have any western missiles or spare parts or anywhere to overhaul them.The US know this and we should expect much greater levels of assisstance in the future in forms of betters arms and a lot bigger excercises.

1. It would be ridiculous to imagine buying arms from your nr one potential threat.

2. Although larger than Israel, BD airspace is also small. However, unlike Israel our space is compact, almost circular which gives us an advantage compared to an elongated Israel. Once hostilities break out, this space will advance trans-border depending on our capability.

1. It would be ridiculous to imagine buying arms from your nr one potential threat.

2. Although larger than Israel, BD airspace is also small. However, unlike Israel our space is compact, almost circular which gives us an advantage compared to an elongated Israel. Once hostilities break out, this space will advance trans-border depending on our capability.

Including maritime boundary our air space is huge.

Including maritime boundary our air space is huge.

You are correct. In the event of hostilities BAF should be able to dominate the skies over a line extending from the Himalayas in the North, to a line from Andaman-Nicobar to Vyzag in the South, to the Chindwin in the East and the Rajmahal Hills in the West. We do not have the resources right now to acquire eqpt for this, but Insha Allah we will do this eventually. Beyond this perimeter would be the foray of PLAAF and PAF.

You are correct. In the event of hostilities BAF should be able to dominate the skies over a line extending from the Himalayas in the North, to a line from Andaman-Nicobar to Vyzag in the South, to the Chindwin in the East and the Rajmahal Hills in the West. We do not have the resources right now to acquire eqpt for this, but Insha Allah we will do this eventually. Beyond this perimeter would be the foray of PLAAF and PAF.

I like your confidence!! :) Though in the next 50 years, I don't see this as a possibility. You should be happy, if you gather enough resources to defend your airspace and some of your shipping lanes.

:D Good one :yay:

You do realise what you have propsed is very unrealistic. Bangladesh military doesn't have any offensive doctrine-it's mostly suited towards defending and our current equipment shows so and future equipment is unlikely for such a task due to the fact India will always be ahead of us(We are just Purchasing 4.5 generation Figthers and they have Plans for 5th Generation figthers). The resources and financial assets needed to achieve this will mean we have to rival and beat India in both Military Tech and terms of GDP. The former is unlikely but possible in future(Like the 22nd century or late 21st) while the Latter won't be.

We also won't need to worry about a offensive from India. They are not stupid to do so,why? Because any offensive on us will be seen as either-An attack on Muslims(likely used by Muslim countries),An attack on a weaker country and bullying. The United states is looking for more influence and presence in the region, Attack Bangladesh would give them a reason to interfere. China itself won't be too happy on an attack. Both India and Bangladesh know attacking each other would destroy the atackers economy. Also As far as just defending our airspace and shipping lanes. Our air space will be secured by 2021(latest 2030) due to an five tier anti air defence system in the country. India trying to attack Bangladesh's shipping lanes will be sucidal,why? Because 5 trillion dollars of US assets(as of 2012 and likely to increase much more by 2050) go through them so if they try,India will get it's rear handed to them by the Americans.

A much more likely scenario is to achieve Air supremacy in Myanmar's Air space(A more suitable Threat). Which is not only likely but would likely be possible after 2030-Latest or earliest 2021.

Back
Top Bottom