What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

All these are just speculative new, I will wait for official announcement. Personally I don't think China is in the rush to build 002A when that the catapult and related aircrafts are still in experimental phase especially the carrier AWACS. Unless we want to make 002A as experiemental ship as Liaoning.

Even if there is a Type 002A, then the difference with the Type 002 won't be huge, like that of the Type 001/001A at most.

Where do these "002A" and "003A" come from ?

I'm "happy" to see that imagination of human being has no limit...

Henri K.

When I checked the official blog of POP3, he stated that the Type 001 and Type 002 will all have a pair of twin.

And the Type 003 turns out to be surprisingly huge, even bigger than the CVN-78.

When I checked the official blog of POP3,...

And the Type 003 turns out to be surprisingly huge, even bigger than the CVN-78.

And you all take This for granted & confirmed??? I do not want to be again as so often the one who calls to be rational and more careful. IMo it is much too early to be sure that the final specifications of 002 or eben 003 are finalised. Snd even if, i am sure they are a such closely guarded secret that they wont be known in any forum.

By The way you were noting, that the current chinese nuclear reactors are insufficient ... While at the same time you are stating 003 will be larger than the Ford-class... That dors not make any sense than being wishfull thinking since esp. the power output will dramatically determine the size of any new Carrier.

As such i ask for being more patient. There are surely interesting times ahead, but we should wait and see...

Deino

And you all take This for granted & confirmed??? I do not want to be again as so often the one who calls to be rational and more careful. IMo it is much too early to be sure that the final specifications of 002 or eben 003 are finalised. Snd even if, i am sure they are a such closely guarded secret that they wont be known in any forum.

By The way you were noting, that the current chinese nuclear reactors are insufficient ... While at the same time you are stating 003 will be larger than the Ford-class... That dors not make any sense than being wishfull thinking since esp. the power output will dramatically determine the size of any new Carrier.

As such i ask for being more patient. There are surely interesting times ahead, but we should wait and see...

Deino

Agree it's better to wait for good official new than to waste time on a mislead false sensational fan boys speculation. Up until now we haven't see video regarding how China perform EMAL or steam catapult to eject J-15 into the air and people are bragging about 002A.

Deino

According to POP3, CV-16 = 50,000 tonnes in normal displacement and 60,000 tonnes in full displacement. And CVN-20 = 100,000+ tonnes in normal displacement, its the full displacement it is going to be twice as much as the CV-16.

You can ask @hk299792458 to confirm about that, since he can read Chinese and know the credibility of POP3.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_a3b1f44601015ebh.html

Currently yes, our nuclear reactor is still insufficient to power a 100,000+ tonnes supercarrier with the EMALS, but in the next decade when we have fully navalized our fourth nuclear plant technology, then everything is going to change.

It also makes sense when China wants to build a bigger nuclear supercarrier than the CVN-78 class, since China chooses J-20 as its aircraft, while the USN chooses F-35. China still doesn't want to lose the numerical advantage, so its supercarrier is going to be bigger.

Agree it's better to wait for good official new than to waste time on a mislead false sensational fan boys speculation. Up until now we haven't see video regarding how China perform EMAL or steam catapult to eject J-15 into the air and people are bragging about 002A.

POP3 = fanboy???

Among the Chinese netizens, perhaps no one knows the PLAN more than him.

Of course, he is retired right now, not all of his speculation is 100% correct, but he does have an idea about the future plan of the PLAN.

163613rzr3ftrrr3fr9frz.jpg
163637v9yifffgyy9yez27.jpg
163647p69r6z842b2g43m6.jpg
163655b8xmnbfxqpqu880g.jpg
POP3 is an ex-PLAN official with decades spent in navy service, and is a naval institute insider, currently still involved in services related to PLAN ship building development. His words are like gospel in Chinese military forum.

That I think the above speaks well on his authority. Though we must also recognised the final decision on ship design rest on the highest central committee in Zhongnanghai. But then POP3 is possibly one of very few highly reliable "leakers" that the authority sanction.

Last edited:
The full displacement of 001 is < 60 000t, the one of 001A around 60 000t. I would personally say, full stop and that's all.

Henri K.

View attachment 323328 View attachment 323329 View attachment 323330 View attachment 323332 POP3 is an ex-PLAN official with decades spent in navy service, and is a naval institute insider, currently still involved in services related to PLAN ship building development. His words are like gospel in Chinese military forum.

That I think the above speaks well on his authority. Though we must also recognised the final decision on ship design rest on the highest central committee in Zhongnanghai. But then POP3 is possibly one of very few highly reliable "leakers" that the authority sanction.

The only uncertainty from POP3 is that he doesn't know much about the progression of the shipbuilding.

Because he is retired, so he won't often visit the shipyards like cat and huahua.

POP3 = fanboy???

Among the Chinese netizens, perhaps no one knows the PLAN more than him.

Of course, he is retired right now, not all of his speculation is 100% correct, but he does have an idea about the future plan of the PLAN.

I don't know this guy but for me there is no difference from fanboy or expert when they make speculative new :D

I don't know this guy but for me there is no difference from fanboy or expert when they make speculative new :D

He was one of those experts that involved in China's aircraft carrier program, and his identity can be confirmed.

He was also the first person who leaked (with the authorization of course) the information online about the Type 055, Type 001A, Type 002 and so on.

He was one of those experts that involved in China's aircraft carrier program, and his identity can be confirmed.

He was also the first person who leaked (with the authorization of course) the information online about the Type 055, Type 001A, Type 002 and so on.

Maybe the leak is premature :D...don't you think? we haven't seen a single J-15 perform catapult test on land and now we talk about 002 with EMALS or steam catapult? I'm eager as much as you know the 002A type but what I want to say it's better off wait for Official statement than just discuss on speculation that if one day Chinese official statement that we gonna build a 002A ski jump carrier again...then we will just fill with deception.

Maybe the leak is premature :D...don't you think? we haven't seen a single J-15 perform catapult test on land and now we talk about 002 with EMALS or steam catapult? I'm eager as much as you know the 002A type but what I want to say it's better off wait for Official statement than just discuss on speculation that if one day Chinese official statement that we gonna build a 002A ski jump carrier again...then we will just fill with deception.

He was one of the persons that involved in the aircraft carrier project, of course he does know about China's plan.

The Type 002 with either EMALS or ski-jump doesn't exist, it wasn't included in the project.

1682212_-_main.jpg

http://www.janes.com/article/62780/china-s-third-aircraft-carrier-likely-to-be-fitted-with-catapults

A photograph has emerged on Chinese online forums showing that China's land-based aircraft carrier mock-up in Wuhan, Hubei Province, is undergoing modifications.

These are likely to reflect changes between China's first indigenous aircraft carrier, the Type 001A, which is currently being built at Dalian shipyard and the next one to be constructed, which is commonly referred to as the Type 002.

Most significantly the ski-jump section has been removed from the mock-up, reinforcing expectations that China's third carrier will be equipped with catapults.

Construction of China's third carrier is expected to take place at the Jiangnan Changxingdao shipyard near Shanghai. So far there has been no official confirmation of the programme nor visible evidence of the construction, but there has been considerable speculation that production of the initial modules is already in progress.

Satellite imagery of the Huangdicun Airbase, which supports China's J-15 carrier-based aircraft, reveals that construction of the facilities assessed to be catapults commenced in 2015. This is a further indication that future Chinese carriers will have a configuration for catapult-assisted take-off but arrested recovery (CATOBAR) operations.

The two systems being installed at Huangdicun are believed to be steam-powered and electromagnetic catapults. Installation of both suggests that a final decision on which system to adopt may not yet have been taken.

The latest unofficial images of the Type 001A carrier at Dalian show a ski-jump section designed for short take-off operations; similar to that on China's first carrierLiaoning .

Construction of the structure up to the flight deck is largely complete, with the final ski-jump module assembled and ready for installation.

The addition of modules to form the island should follow before the carrier's launch, which at the current rate of progress could take place before the end of 2016, although early 2017 is more likely.

If non-Chinese do not know who POP3 is, that I can understand.

However, if a serious Chinese military watcher, resides in Mainland China, speaks and write in Chinese, and frequently visit Chinese military forum, yet have no idea on the great respect earned by Pop3 with his numerous articles, I say no further.

Just take somtime off to visit this website.

http://www.dingsheng.com/author.php?authorname=pop3

If non-Chinese do not know who POP3 is, that I can understand.

However, if a serious Chinese military watcher, resides in Mainland China, speaks and write in Chinese, and frequently visit Chinese military forum, yet have no idea on the great respect earned by Pop3 with his numerous articles, I say no further.

Just take somtime off to visit this website.

http://www.dingsheng.com/author.php?authorname=pop3

Many Chinese members here could be born oversea, especially in those English-speaking countries like Canada and America.

That's why they don't know about those Chinese military forums.

Back
Top Bottom