What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

I don't think so - EDIT: I'm sure, I have just seen very clear recent images - and there are still very wide gaps between the modules visible so making any estimation of the final length quite moot.

This is what I suggested.

The position of the bow and stern will not be changed anymore, but modules in the middle could still be moving forward and backward, and they will make sure that the gap between each module will be no more than 0.4 - 0.8 meter, so they can start to weld them together into one block of hull.

006qOL3agy1ghv5lkbo9kj30pk18sdna.jpg
006qOL3agy1ghv5ljif5fj30po1cw46w.jpg
006qOL3agy1ghv5li835kj30pc148afv.jpg

Via @军戈飞扬 from Weibo

I slowly get the feeling the official Chinese censorship deliberately blurs the Type 003 carrier images in order to blind us spotters and analysts!? o_O

I slowly get the feeling the official Chinese censorship deliberately blurs the Type 003 carrier images in order to blind us spotters and analysts!? o_O

All modules of the waterline have been lined up together except the bulbous bow.

All modules of the waterline have been lined up together except the bulbous bow.

Yes, but my concern is that by looking at the high resolution images you clearly see the gaps and as such it will be interesting to see how much they will be moved together during the connection...

Yes, but my concern is that by looking at the high resolution images you clearly see the gaps and as such it will be interesting to see how much they will be moved together during the connection...

Even you remove all the gaps, this ship will still have the waterline of the latest US supercarriers.

It's a blurred satellite image.
What else can we get from this image?:blink:
Length measurements :cheesy: ... so far, the aircraft carrier looks to be in the range of American supercarriers. Of course, we will only know this definitively once all the modules have been put in place but nonetheless still very exciting.

Be much relaxed, unlike those subs made in Huludao facility, sooner or later we will all find out the dimensions and power propulsion used.

Folks are so curious here to find out the deferred realities while keep quiet, not wondering what all the new production facilities set up in Huludao do nowadays. Do they all sit idly there all these years since its coverage by media in April 2017? Funny! :D:P

Posted on 2020.08.19
By 砲雷長 Pao Lei Chang

China's third aircraft carrier is being built at the dry dock of Changxing Island shipyard in the south of the Yangtze River.
The module manufacturing area has recently been expanded to include a third assembly line.

-skipped the less contemporary part, less relevant/interesting-

As of August 15, there were eight modules in the dry dock. These modules represent the various parts of the type 003 hull from the bow to the stern, with a length of about 22 to 47 meters.
The current cumulative length of the module is about 265 meters, indicating that additional modules will be required.

At least one additional module, 16 meters long, is located near the transfer area and is expected to be installed behind the current bow.

The hull modules of Type 003 are produced in the assembly area east of the shipyard, which has recently been expanded. The number and scope of the manufacturing facilities indicate that hull modules for other ship types will also be produced there.

Between April and July, a new assembly line was added to the east side of the processing plant for the Type 003 hull module.

There are now three module assembly lines that can work independently or jointly to build hull modules for Type 003. The extra space also allows more modules to be stored in the processing plant before moving to the containerization area near the dry dock.

In addition, new construction work is under way on the western side of the nearby harbour.

To evaluate:

Once the hull modules in the dry dock are connected, it will produce an aircraft carrier similar to the Type 002 observed in Dalian in September 2015. It took about six months for the Type 002 to reach this completion level.

As the modules already exist, it is unlikely that it will take five months to assemble the lower hull, which will allow the lower section of the Type 003 to be completed faster than the Type 002. Type 002 did use a certain degree of modular construction, but it was limited to the upper deck, as most of the lower hull was built in a dry dock.

It took about 19 months for the Type 002 to be built and launched. Once the Type 003 reaches this stage after the module connection, a similar 19 month schedule is not impossible, which indicates that the Type 003 may be launched in two years. With the special facilities for the production of hull modules, it is possible to build faster.

The shipyard built a 250 meter long floating barge and moved it to a basin near the module assembly area, which led to speculation that the module would be transferred to the dry dock by waterway.

However, the modules built so far appear to have been transferred to the quay by road. It is not clear whether the size or weight of some of the upper deck modules will need to be transported by water, or whether the barge is not related to the construction of the third aircraft carrier.

Last edited:
Someone in SDF, make calculation
View attachment 662163

What do you think?

There is a missing module in the bow section, and based on the satellite image of August 18, the module was already put in the place.

I still insist its final waterline will be around 315-320 meters, and 335 meters for the flight deck.

From 逆襲 @Horobeyo on 2020-08-20:

超大leeone的主题里也从中/苏和美国航母的水线长宽比上推测了003水线长度,他推算出水线宽度是40米,则长度在305~313米。然而老哥thefirstpin发图通过精确划线,得出水线宽度是39.6米,我觉得这个数据很准,接近真相了。动力舱分段顶部宽度确实是41米以上,但是下面带外倾角。

https://lt.cjdby.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2642708&extra=page=1

The 超大leeone also extrapolates the 003 waterline length from the ratio of length to width of the Chinese/Soviet and American aircraft carriers. He calculates that the waterline width is 40 meters and the length is 305 ~ 313 meters. However, the first pin map shows that the waterline width gives a measurement of 39.6 meters, which I think is accurate and close to the truth. The top width of power module section is indeed more than 41 meters, but it has a camber angle below.

The 003 modules with some measurements - CJDBY.NET 20200819.jpg

至此,基本得出003的水线长宽,为304~305米×39.6米,小鹰级的水线长宽是990英尺(301.95米)×130英尺(39.65),主尺度两者几乎一样大。但小鹰是三段100米长的舰首、动力舱、舰尾。003是113米的舰首,87米的动力舱,87米的舰尾,动力舱和舰尾较短,舰尾很宽,舰首很长应该是为了在总长有限时减小阻力

So far, the waterline length and width of 003 is basically obtained, which is 304 ~ 305 meters × 39.6 meters. The waterline length and width of the Kitty Hawk class is 301.95m × 39.65m, and the main dimensions are almost the same. However, the Kitty Hawk has three sections of 100-meter-long bow, power cabin and stern. The 003 has a bow of 113 meters, a power cabin of 87 meters, and a stern of 87 meters. The power cabin and stern are shorter, and the stern is very wide, and the long bow is supposed to reduce resistance when the total length is limited.

The 003 modules with some measurements 20200815.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom