What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

@Picdelamirand-oil
By the towed decoy, does it mean LEA (leurre électromagnétique actif)

As part of the aforementioned phased approach to improve the Incas kit Rafale French defense procurement agency began a research program on thrown rf trap, which was first introduced at the Paris Air Show in 2013. New radiofrequency trap developed by MBDA, was designated LEA (leurre electromagnetique actif). "The air vehicle" is currently being tested, and the company Thales, is expected to take part in this project, although it is not presented for official confirmation.

View attachment 337344

roughly translated
The first experiments lures active electromagnetic (also called "jammers dumped ") took place in France in the middle of the decade 1990 in the context of developments exploratory led by Matra Défense & Thomson-CSF one hand and
Dassault Electronics, on the other hand, under the aegis of the DGA. It was to equip aircraft weapons capacity
to lure active RF threats or semi-active sophisticated, creating an angular interference. Although the results of these exploratory developments have been very successful, they have unfortunately not been followed at the time by a product of industrialization. Prototype LEA Th-CSF Matra Défense 90 (MBDA Photo) The PEA INCAS DGA, running by MBDA
France and Thales uses the concepts of the time, because the operational need still exists, but taking advantage of
latest technological advances, especially in the areas of technology and components DRFM MMIC.
We bet that this time will be at the complete success appointments with a start of production. The work carried out as part of INCA could possibly also serve a different need: the decoy IR missiles discrimination capability kinematics, the LEA vehicle and the means ejection may become common to both applications. History will tell whether this synergy will materialize!

View attachment 337345
No LEA is a little bit different from a Towed decoy
Unlike a towed decoy which remains attached to the aircraft, the LEA is ejected like a chaff.
http://rafalenews.blogspot.fr/2013/06/rafale-developement-tragedac-and-lea.html

807cea01a7fb92ee35c169760a15df69.jpg

Yeah, I pointed that out long ago and you attacked me for it. Good to know you are on board too.

No, I didn't "attack you". I said it wasn't under consideration then.
It still isn't AFAIK.

There is no technical limit except that money and time rise with the output number.

Tay.

I think at this time even pakistan deserves a small thanks for making this happen.

I am sure you have to share more of such details openly for better understanding and peace among 2 nations, enlighten us.

ya i searched and gt for EF
According to the information released by Eurofighter, the TRD is attached to the pod using a Fibre Optic link used to send commands to the decoy radio frequency emitter to produce jamming signals required to lure the missile away from the “parent aircraft”.

Even if the Eurofighter website contains several diagrams showing the Typhoon’s towed decoy, no image can be found of the decoy being towed by a plane, except the following ones taken by Gian Luca Onnis (during an unclassified test – image released).

https://theaviationist.com/2012/04/16/towed-decoy/

and this

Towed Decoys:

The towed decoy was developed by the Naval Research Laboratory in the early 1980s. The core of towed decoys is a transmitter that amplified and retransmit all signal it received thus it appear like an attractive target with high RCS on adversary radar. When deployed, the decoy is towed behind the host aircraft, protecting the aircraft and its crew against RF-guided missiles by luring the missile toward the decoy and away from the intended target. In layman term , towed decoys are small transmitters being drag behind aircrafts.

2iu9bbs1.png

2iu9bbs2.png

Advantages:

• Decoys are towed behind aircraft with a cable so they move at the same speed as parent aircraft , as a result doppler effect does not help distinguish decoys from the real target.
  • Towed decoys are often stored within wing pylons ,wing tip pod or aircraft fuselage thus do not affect aircraft weapons load
Disadvantages:

• After deployment decoys stay at a distance and connected to aircraft by a cable , thus limiting aircraft agility to low G maneuver.
  • Decoys are towed thus it will always stay behind the real platform hence, missiles with 2-ways datalink or command guide can render towed decoy ineffective (because adversary SAM operator, pilot can choose which target for missiles to attack).
  • Towed decoys rely totally on it’s own internal component ( processor, battery,and antenna) thus lacking the processing , jamming power , and directivity of ECM pod or aircraft internal ECM system.

Fiber optic towed decoys (FOTD):

Fiber optic towed decoys are upgraded variants of towed decoys. While traditional towed decoys rely totally on it’s own electronic components to response enemy threats, fiber optic decoys have a fiber-optics connection allow it to rely on aircraft on-board radio frequency countermeasures system.Aircraft onboard electric warfare (EW ) system is designed to receive radar signals from potential threat emitters via antennas on the forward and aft sections of the aircraft and to generate an electronic countermeasures response to the threat. Jamming may use either onboard transmitter ( jamming antenna on aircraft ) or the off-board transmitting capabilities of the FOTD decoy. For the off-board response, a jamming signal is generated by onboard EW equipment and provided to a decoy towed behind the aircraft for amplification and transmission. To reach the decoy, the signal is converted to light and transmitted down a fiber-optic link to the decoy. In the decoy, the light signal is converted back to RF, amplified, and transmitted using antennas integral inside the decoy. While antique towed decoys often only capable of amplifying and retransmit adversary radar signal , modern fiber optic towed decoys can transmit any and all signal that the aircraft’s onboard countermeasure system capable of generating ( from simple noise jamming techniques to complex deceptive jamming techniques )

Example diagram of FOTD systems:

bla.jpg

decoy-highlight-1.jpg

00idecm.jpg

Advantages:

• Decoys is towed by aircraft thus cannot be distinguished by Doppler effect
  • Thanks to the fiber optics link with aircraft’s onboard electric warfare system , the decoys is capable of generating very complex jamming signals
  • Provide safety for carried aircraft when facing missiles in Home on Jam mode
Disadvantages:

• After deployment decoys stay at a distance and connected to aircraft by a cable , thus limiting aircraft agility to low G maneuver.
  • Due to small size ( antenna and TWT ) , FOTD lack the jamming power of ECM pods and aircraft internal jamming systems

About HOJ : For modern radio guided missiles , if at any point during the missiles time-of-flight the target starts to use electronic counter-measures , the missiles can switch its tracking mode to home-on-jam , When this occurs the missiles homes in on the direction of the jamming signal, guiding it to the point where the onboard radar ‘burns through’ the jamming and re-acquires the radar. When in the home-on-jam mode the missiles interlace the active pulses of the radar with passive guidance from the home-on-jam equipment.The HOJ mode does not provide as good a Pk the normal active guidance however because missiles cannot determine target velocity or distance from target , they are unable to perform lead intercept ( missiles range in this mode is limited too because missiles cannot follow a ballistics arcs to conserve energy ) .

https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsandavionics.wordpress.com/2016/03/29/electronic-countermeasure-ecm/

That is what i have always recommend to the MOD/GOI. In fact i have openly advocated it here as well. USe the Dassault group expertise and make the AMCA. I dont believe such a strategic cooperation is possible with USA and nor i think FGFA will enable us almost all tech as we need. the credible alternative is max from France and limited from Israel and Russia. Thats the basic abstractive idea.
Slightly offtopic,Any chances for further tension escalation,I mean uri attack and developments.

Even if the Eurofighter website contains several diagrams showing the Typhoon’s towed decoy, no image can be found of the decoy being towed by a plane, except the following ones taken by Gian Luca Onnis (during an unclassified test – image released).

The concept video in Agent 47 post is quite good I think to give a basic idea. Clear up close photos will be difficult I think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom