What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget about this deal for atleast 6 months...

^^^
Don't worry...Rafale is better than Typhoon. The politician who is making such claims could have just asked IAF or the field evaluation report before making such claims.

The problem is, he wouldn't understand it, because he obviously has no idea of what he is talking and mainly just gossiping. Antony might have a clear record, but he should have been wiser and simple reject this, unless any useful proves were provided from Mr. Reddy. Now we are playing with the security of IAF pilots who are flying Mug 21s and with the security of the nation itself, because any futher delay makes us weaker.
It's just an embarrassment for India, that the world has to see things like this in public, just because a politician wants some media attention.

Final Countdown

Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne on MMRCA

The last mile determines whether eventually you will look back with satisfaction for a job well done or regret the opportunities missed. Hence, even as the tempo has to be maintained, the strides need to acquire flexibility and imagination to tide over the last few hurdles. The chief of air staff, Air Chief Marshal Norman Anil Kumar Browne’s current state of mind would be a bit akin to that of a long distance runner: a combination of pleasure and determination; anticipation and anxiety...

...“The IAF is the main driver in this project and everything is moving on track,” he says matter-of-factly in an exclusive interview to FORCE. “While I cannot discuss details of the ongoing Contract Negotiations Committee (CNC), I will only discuss the process of acquisition which has been adopted as per Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2006. The CNC is likely to wrap up all discussions in the next eight to 10 months and we will sign the contract in the financial year 2012-2013. We have made budgetary provisions for the MMRCA in this financial year.” If things move to plan, then ACM Browne would rather have the contract signed on 15 December 2012. Surely, he would like to present the MMRCA to the IAF as a return gift on his birthday...

FORCE-A Complete News Magazine on National Security-Defence Magazine,Indian Defence,AERO India 2011 Bangalore Bengaluru,magazine on Indian navy,Indian Army,Indian Air Force,Indian Paramilitary forces,Naxalism,Jammu & Kashmir,terrorism,national securi

No Progress On Rafale Until Inquiry Complete

%253D%253Futf-8%253FB%253FSU1HLTIwMTIwMzI5LTAwMTE5LmpwZw%253D%253D%253F%253D-712958

Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony confirmed today that an inquiry was still on into the selection of the Rafale as L1 in the MMRCA competition (following a recent complaint by an MP), and that forward movement -- at least six more stages of scrutiny and process until contract signature -- would be held off until the inquiry is complete. Meanwhile, HAL seems pretty set on license building the Rafale :) That's their production vision up there I scoped at their pavillion at DefExpo 2012. More photos and stuff later tonight.

Livefist: No Progress On Rafale Until Inquiry Complete

NEW DELHI – The Indian government Thursday announced what appears to be a likely delay in the closing of an estimated $12 billion deal to buy 126 fighter jets from France's Dassault Aviation SA.

The price negotiations alone could take about eight more months, and there would be "several other stages of scrutiny" before the deal to buy Dassault's Rafale is finalized, Defense Minister A.K. Antony said Thursday.

His statement comes two months after the Indian government on Jan. 31 declared Dassault as the lowest bidder for one of the world's largest-ever military aircraft contracts.

Just a day later, on Feb. 1, the French government said it hoped to seal the deal within six to nine months.

But Mr. Antony Thursday said that the government is going slow on deals to modernize India's defense forces, as it wants to eliminate any chances of kickbacks or bribes.

"We have zero tolerance on corruption," he told reporters at a defense exhibition being held in New Delhi.

The March 29-April 1 exhibition has drawn participants from several countries--including France, the U.S., Russia and Singapore--to India, the world's largest importer of defense products.

Separately, junior defense minister M.M. Pallam Raju said critical issues such as where the jet will be assembled in India and transfer of technology from Dassault are still being discussed.

The signs of a delay come amid allegations in India that defense deals may involve bribing of bureaucrats and senior military officers, while middlemen take commissions from weapons makers.

Even India's serving army chief, General V.K. Singh, alleged a few days ago that he was offered a bribe of 140 million rupees ($2.75 million) to back a deal to buy trucks.

Another set of allegations involve Italian defense and aerospace company Finmeccanica's unit AgustaWestland, which is accused of inflating the price of 12 AW101 choppers it sold to the Indian army for €560 million. The price tag includes training and logistical support.

AgustaWestland has denied the allegations.

India "won't hesitate to cancel any deal at any stage" if any wrongdoing is found, Mr. Antony said in response to a question on the AgustaWestland deal.

The government has dismissed charges of corruption in defense purchases, saying that strict rules are applied in evaluating functionality and prices before any deal is awarded.

Earlier this month, India proposed spending about 1.93 trillion rupees ($38.2 billion) on defense in the fiscal year starting on April 1--an increase of 13% from the current year--and earmarked 795.79 billion rupees to buy new weapons.

Inducting the 126 jets will go a long way toward modernizing India's ageing fleet of MiG-21 jets, some of which were bought in the 1960s.

The country already uses Dassault's Mirage-2000 aircraft as well as other fighter jets, such as Russia's Sukhoi Su-30MKI and the Anglo-French Jaguar.

The country's first locally developed--and much delayed--light combat aircraft, the Tejas, is expected to be inducted into the Air Force in 2015.

The 126 fighter jet order stipulates that the first 18 planes will be sent to India in a ready-to-fly condition while the remainder will be produced in collaboration with a vendor in India.

Dassault will also have to invest or bring business worth 50% of the deal value to India.

Write to Santanu Choudhury at santanu.choudhury@dowjones.com and Nikhil Gulati at

Our airforce don't have resources to maintain the Rafale, if the president buys it, the Brazilian Airforce will be pretty grounded. The airforce already said that it wants the Gripen or the S.hornet, i can't understand why the government still prefers this jet.
My neighbors from Argentina already know how "reliable" the french can be. I don't want this here, i don't know the advantages of the Rafales in India's MMRCA, but i can't see a reason to see the Rafale there as well.
Pardon me if i said anything wrong....

Not suprising these type of large contracts have many nitty gritty areas to iron out before a contract can be sealed.

Aren't 5 years enough to iron out nitty gritties of this deal, with a huge ministry and air force working together? In that time one person can do a phd in a complex subject.

Our airforce don't have resources to maintain the Rafale, if the president buys it, the Brazilian Airforce will be pretty grounded. The airforce already said that it wants the Gripen or the S.hornet, i can't understand why the government still prefers this jet.
My neighbors from Argentina already know how "reliable" the french can be. I don't want this here, i don't know the advantages of the Rafales in India's MMRCA, but i can't see a reason to see the Rafale there as well.
Pardon me if i said anything wrong....

With an economy bigger than India's, I'm pretty sure you can afford a few rafales. Whether your country needs it or not, I do not know.

But the reason for it being purchased by India is simple - we have some 250 plus aircrafts desperately needing replacement, and our squadron strength is low as it is. We need to purchase around 200 high quality, modern multi role fighters quickly, and these were found to suit the IAF's requirements best, after a thorough evaluation. We also need the LCA later to bring back our strength to required levels.

What makes you think India doesn't need these, any particular reason? As far as I can tell, we needed these as of yesterday.

With an economy bigger than India's, I'm pretty sure you can afford a few rafales. Whether your country needs it or not, I do not know.
Actually money should not be a problem, but by some reason (much problably corruption and a hatred against the military) the government refuses to give much money to the military.

Actually money should not be a problem, but by some reason (much problably corruption and a hatred against the military) the government refuses to give much money to the military.

Well, that has nothing to do with the merits or demerits of rafale as a platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom