What's new

Defense Budget Hiked to 2.3 Lakh Crore

If given to the SOFs it could go far sure, but in the grand scheme of things it is a relatively small amount (60-70% of a Rafale for instance).

A national war memorial for $60MN is money well spent to some people. To all those countless families who have lost loved ones I think they would say this amount is perfectly justifiable. It's difficult not to justify this sort of expenditure on this project.

$60MN is around 0.15% of the defence budget.

as we all know that UPA gov never gave any sympathy to our fallen solders and they never care of them, so modi wants to prove that he is not like UPA. he wants send message to all the solders that he respect them and will take care of them... that is why he wants to built a national war memorial. and this will help to boost moral of the solders in the border and it will also give a confidence to the solders that the new gov will not be like UPA. and i think respect for fallen solders are much more worth than a $60mn...

AFAIK 5000 crore increase from Interim Budget is dedicated purely for Capital Acquisitions

I don't think you can credit the entire budget initiative to Jaitely alone. Modi & his economic advisers would have played a major part in this!

wow... happy hunting! :smitten:

Not likely, Jaitley is too much of a hot head and an egoistic to allow interference.

He was chosen out of compulsion rather than the right individual for the job scenario. Shourie would have done wonders in his place.

The other useless appointment was of sadanand gowda for railways - the man doesnt have any track record to show - as a CM of Karnataka he was worthless. The man only knows to smile and nothing else. He I do agree that the whole railway budget was driven by Modi and Gowda wouldnt have had any input in it. Venkaiah Naidu - the less said about him the better.

I am more than disappointed in Modi's cabinet.

Last edited:
You RSS agents try to make India look bad by opposing Muslim reservation.

No reservation in the New India.....you should be ashamed asking for hand outs and reservations. Do it you own damn self. I know many accomplished Indian muslims....stop the blame game and work hard

Not likely, Jaitley is too much of a hot head and an egoistic to allow interference.

Jaitley weather he likes it or not will have to allow Modi to interfere . He does not have any other choice, otherwise he would not be sitting in that chair

He was chosen out of compulsion rather than the right individual for the job scenario. Shourie would have done wonders in his place.

Shourie is unhappy with many members in BJP , and its entirly possible he himself did not want to get that post of FM

The other useless appointment was of sadanand gowda for railways - the man doesnt have any track record to show - as a CM of Karnataka he was worthless. The man only knows to smile and nothing else. He I do agree that the whole railway budget was driven by Modi and Gowda wouldnt have had any input in it. Venkaiah Naidu - the less said about him the better.

Gowda like many others is nothing more than a Yes man of Modi, its crystal clear who is at the Helm ....

I am more than disappointed in Modi's cabinet.

This is the best you are going to get considering the circustances

$60MN is around 0.15% of the defence budget.

Within the budget, but it still $60 million! Not 60.000, 600.000, not even 6 million but freaking 60 million! There are a lot of things that India needs more today than this memorial for such an ammount of money and trust me, even the families of the soldiers that this memorial is for, would surely prefer to spend it on supporting verterans that are alive. And wasn't it PM Modi who recently bragged about that our whole mars program cost only several millions? So how does this memorial fare in comparision to that and what is more important to India?
Again, I can understand the sentiment for it and am not against it as a whole, but there is the right time for such things. You can't claim that we have no money "now" and at the same time spend it on things that are not necessary "today", or won't get us much in return. The sentiment will be dealt in the same way if these memorials or statues will be build in 4 or 5 years. But the money for them, could be used today in a far better way!

P.S. Not sure if that's correct, but this report says:

* War Memorial and War Museum to be established at Princess Park in New Delhi; Rs.1,000 crore allocated

Highlights of India Budget 2014-15

Which if I'm not wrong are even $166 million => 2 x Mars missions?

Last edited:
FDI in defence increased to 49%

...There has been a massive increase in funding to the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO). DRDO’s capital allocation of Rs 5,985 crore, provided in February’s interim Budget, has been increased by almost 60 per cent to Rs 9,298 crore — the largest jump in DRDO’s history.

This takes R&D in the defence sector to Rs 15,283 crore, almost seven per cent of the Rs 2,29,000 crore defence budget. DRDO, which has been receiving about five per cent of the defence budget, has long pleaded for seven to eight per cent.

The capital allocation for the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), which will be used for modernising the ministry’s network of 41 factories that manufacture arms, ammunition and equipment for the military, was doubled. The OFB’s allocation of Rs 530 crore has been raised to Rs 1,207 crore.

Jaitley’s focus on indigenisation was evident from his speech, in which he noted: “India today is the largest buyer of defence equipment in the world. Our domestic manufacturing capacities are still at a nascent stage… Companies controlled by foreign governments and foreign private sector are supplying our defence requirements to us at a considerable outflow of foreign exchange.”...

1405027299-1089.jpg

FDI in defence increased to 49% | Business Standard News

:woot: WFT???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom