What's new

Desi Bofors gun passes the test

as i'm naive, so can someone tell me how this muzzle velocity radar, fire control computer gonna increase the accuracy of an artillery shell fired?

Radar can track the shell and computer will compute in what angle you need to fire so the shell can hit the target accurately... smething like that.

as i'm naive, so can someone tell me how this muzzle velocity radar, fire control computer gonna increase the accuracy of an artillery shell fired?

Its like a error control system

For example you throw a stone at a target but you miss it then your brain tells you how to hit it more accurately in the same way when the shell is fired the radar gives the gunmen a more accurate way to fire the shell

Mean while the Upgraded M-46 gun is already with regular units.

17022008128tf6.jpg

img3302g.jpg

TATA's offering is in another category to this OFB Bofors and wills a different role. The TATA offereing is of a SPH/SPG based on a Denal design. The IA has 3-4, maybe 5 different requirements for arty right now (yes it is that much- the Bofors shadow wrecked such havoc on acquisitions!). So it is possible/likely the IA will get OFB and TATA/Denal arty species at the same time.

Btw TATA is only one of the contenders in an open tender right now whereas the IA has already signed an order for an intial amount of OFB Bofors.

OFB Howitzer:

155mmfh77b47jz2.jpg

TATA's Self propelled Howitzer:

tata-howitzer_350_120312062044.jpg

Can you see the differences? Can you see how these differences equate to different roles and how the two would be utilised in different manners?

yes..thanx.but ofb howitzers need a vehicle to carry them seperately..so tatas product will be advantageous i guess..but ofb are more used in fixed ares which are strategic for limited mobility purposes.where as tatas can be taken to the area of requirement in the emergency.am i right??

Took their time.. din't they? I thought India had the technology assistance from bofors to manufacture these guns for quite a while. Transfer of tech was part of the agreement when india bought these guns for the very first time from swedish company in 1980s. It's just that our netas & babus sat over this all along. Thanks to A K Antony... blueprints are out of the cupboard now..

Bofors reloaded: Defence ministry stung again - Times Of India

yes..thanx.but ofb howitzers need a vehicle to carry them seperately..so tatas product will be advantageous i guess..but ofb are more used in fixed ares which are strategic for limited mobility purposes.where as tatas can be taken to the area of requirement in the emergency.am i right??

The Bofors FH77/OFB HOWITZERS interestingly have their own engines, of course this doesn't mean they can travel independatly under their own power across terrain in fact this feature aids in short distance relocations to locate better firing solutions. These arty pieces do require trucks to tow them about yes. And yes, such arty will as such be less mobile than a system like the TATA Howitzer and as such are more suited to operating from a fixed location but having said that arty crews operating this system are very will trained and are able to pack up, hitch up and be on the move within the space of a few minuets and then redeploy and be firing in an equally short period. More than likely the Bofors/OFB Howitzers will provide arty fire from a fixed location to the rear of advancing forces The SPHs/SPGs who are fixed to a truck body and are thus inherently more mobile are more likely to be able to travel with advancing forces and or engage in "shoot and scoot" type tactics.

Took their time.. din't they? I thought India had the technology assistance from bofors to manufacture these guns for quite a while. Transfer of tech was part of the agreement when india bought these guns for the very first time from swedish company in 1980s. It's just that our netas & babus sat over this all along. Thanks to A K Antony... blueprints are out of the cupboard now..

Bofors reloaded: Defence ministry stung again - Times Of India

Indeed I had heard the MoD had the licence to produce 1000+ FH-77s for the IA but these hopes were dashed with the Bofors scandel. It was only recently when someone stumbled on the original paperwork/designs for the guns and handed them over the the OFB to get on with the devlopments! The later part of this narrative is proboably over-simiplified/dramatised but still!

Back
Top Bottom