What's new

Dhaka Metro rail: Also a show of local engineering might

Bhairey - steel ar cement to ar import korey antey parena. Expensive to transport.

Indian cement is more expensive than Bangladeshi cement.

They used to import in the past though, if I am not mistaken. May be not cement but steel for sure.

In any case, local suppliers should be given priority for any project if they meet the quality standards. I know Petrolbangla's Production Sharing Contracts with foreign operators have that requirement built in. They also audit Foreign operators to ensure compliance. We need something like that for every other government project, if it's not present already.

LOL man, I bet most of our local experienced engineers employed in this project are BNP, JAPA era students. Gaining experience takes time. Use some common sense!

And the way you're spamming every threads for past couple of days with nonsense and widely off topic comments is unhealthy...

JP and BNP era people are in their late 30s and early 40s.

Young people working on the project would be from the early BAL era.

Anyway, it’s not good enough that after 50 years of independence - all they can do is learn.

And then they whine why Hasina is giving contracts to foreigners!

Home truths need to be told!

Pabna Hemayetpur Mental Asylum called.

They are looking for a missing patient given to incoherent ramblings.

I just gave them your location!

Oops!

Run! Fast!

They used to import in the past though, if I am not mistaken. May be not cement but steel for sure.

In any case, local suppliers should be given priority for any project if they meet the quality standards. I know Petrolbangla's Production Sharing Contracts with foreign operators have that requirement built in. They also audit Foreign operators to ensure compliance. We need something like that for every other government project, if it's not present already.

Good call. Bangladesh steel billets and rods are made from very dense and high quality scrap, mostly ship breaking plates.

This type of re-bar usually exceeds ASTM requirements - @bluesky bhai will know more about this.

I don't know if local LGED or govt. projects enforce ASTM compliance over cement and re-bar.

Once supply situation improves, competition will increase and quality will become a USP for sellers I'm sure.

JP and BNP era people are in their late 30s and early 40s.

Young people working on the project would be from the early BAL era.
BAL era peoples are learning from JAPA and BNP era peoples. Because they're experienced...

And no offense, BAL has fuked Bangladeshs higher education by focusing on quantity instead of quality.
Anyway, it’s not good enough that after 50 years of independence - all they can do is learn.
Ask this question to our government.

He did, goes without saying. Infact he is likely a fugitive from Pabna pagla garod.
Please, please, do not insult our @BananaRepublicUK by claiming he is a fugitive.

With his many self-contradictory comments, he is just pretending to be a descendant of Poet Milton and is writing another epic named Paradise Lost-ll in this forum.

All of us including @UKBengali must encourage him till he goes back to Hemayetpur.

Good call. Bangladesh steel billets and rods are made from very dense and high quality scrap, mostly ship breaking plates.

This type of re-bar usually exceeds ASTM requirements - @bluesky bhai will know more about this.

I don't know if local LGED or govt. projects enforce ASTM compliance over cement and re-bar.

Once supply situation improves, competition will increase and quality will become a USP for sellers I'm sure.
Thanks for asking my opinion. I am not a steelman. Actually, ASTM has many standards depending on the uses of steel. For example, the shipbuilding steel grade may be different from other types of uses.

So, when heated in a furnace, the ship's steel scraps are mixed with other scraps, and carbon, silicon, etc are also mixed in quantities required to create a certain strength/ quality.

Note that ships are subjected to salty water. So, the bodies may corrode. Please read the internet citation below: So, its quality is different from that used in the construction of buildings.

"When metal is exposed to salt water, due to exposure to seawater, the differences in electric potential develop at the surface of the metal, resulting in the formation of numerous small corrosion cells. This action causes destructive alteration of areas, the anodes, on the metal surface where metallic ions enter the electrolyte".

Last edited:
BAL era peoples are learning from JAPA and BNP era peoples. Because they're experienced...

And no offense, BAL has fuked Bangladeshs higher education by focusing on quantity instead of quality.

Ask this question to our government.

BAL's ultimate plan is the same as BJP's ultimate Hindu Rashtra plan concerning Bangladesh. Most BAL people are either Chetona idiots (mostly plain idiots like that thappor mara Krishak league moron), BJP Hindutva sympathizers or vehemently anti-Muslim folks with a grand plan.

That plan is to de-capitate Bangladesh of any Hindutva or Hindu-Rashtra opposition and kill off Jamaat or any Muslim support.

Indians will also vehemently discourage any high grade high value-addition industrialization in Bangladesh through Awami League - their plan is to have Bangladesh devoid of any high grade value addition which they need to keep for themselves. The less competition coming from Bangladesh, the easier they will sleep and easier to feed and placate their own hungry Billions.

They want a nation of chaddi stitchers and shoe makers in Bangladesh to support their economy for the long term or forever if possible, keeping Bangladesh under their feet, exactly where they want us.

If they can neuter Bangladesh intellectually and educationally (and convert it to a culture with majority Hindu sensibilities) then they are back to Post Mughal and Pre-Raj Hindu supremacy situation where a bunch of Hindu Zamindars ruled over a majority of uneducated compliant Muslim workers and consumers. I say this with no offense to our Patriot local Hindu citizenry. Living under the yoke of Indian vs. Bangladesh rule will be different for Bangladeshi Hindus as well, Think !

They can sell all the low quality Indian goods to us like Fair and Lovely, Hajmola and ChaywanPrash - as their hearts desire, and not expect any threats militarily.

They will change our sovereign currency to the Rupee and neutralize our military completely.

Bangladesh will be part of Indian economy profitably (to the benefit of the larger Indian economy) and they don't even have to pay for any upkeep or administrative funds like they do to West Bengal and other states. Win-Win ! Long Live Hindu Rashtra ruled by Banyas and Brahmins from New Delhi !

AL is fully ready to comply with this Indian plan eventually.

You think this is not possible? Just Watch what AL leaders are doing with Indian ones - you will get your answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking my opinion. I am not a steelman. Actually, ASTM has many standards depending on the uses of steel. For example, the shipbuilding steel grade may be different from other types of uses.

So, when heated in a furnace, the ship's steel scraps are mixed with other scraps, and carbon, silicon, etc are also mixed in quantities required to create a certain strength/ quality.

Note that ships are subjected to salty water. So, the bodies may corrode. Please read the internet citation below: So, its quality is different from that used in the construction of buildings.

"When metal is exposed to salt water, due to exposure to seawater, the differences in electric potential develop at the surface of the metal, resulting in the formation of numerous small corrosion cells. This action causes destructive alteration of areas, the anodes, on the metal surface where metallic ions enter the electrolyte".

You are absolutely right @bluesky bhai. Steel anchor chains for cargo ships that spend long periods in salt water are made from special alloys and are graded like Grade 30, 50, 70 all the way to Grade 120 based on the handling capacity and load limit.

Tbh, I don’t think even India can build these without foreign expertise.

Albeit, India has higher local content.

As people slowly move away from Madrasah based education - things should improve!

But it needs to happen faster!
L&T constructed similar length of light rail in Mauritius at $600 mn,,, instead of focusing on India, you should focus on corruption in BD.

This is clearly the first time BD firms have even been able to deliver this much of the project. This is positive news and the first step in the right direction.

Not sure why some people are turning this thread into another wailing tear-fest.
Abdul Monem Group have experience in large projects, but always played small roles. Happy to see them getting more involved and gaining more experience in the process.

But I am more glad about the domestic steel and cement suppliers being able to meet the quality standards. Going forward for government projects our tenders should only be restricted to local suppliers to help them develop. Of course subject to them meeting quality standards.
One step at a time. Expecting BD to design and build the first ever Metro rail by themselves would be ridiculous. Using local raw materials is a great start.

However, all such projects going forward should have localisation clauses where local contractors must be engaged in design, construction, testing and commissioning.
Ministry of Communications should also develop in-house Engineering capabilities to be able to conduct due diligence reviews and apply appropriate Configuration Management processes.

"1 MRT line for Dhaka, one giant leap (over ticket barriers) for kamlakind" - Neil Armstrong

@AmiEktaKharapChele

I think they will need net or glass barriers to prevent turnstile-jumper people from doing their magic. :lol:

But you have CC cameras and Metro police too. We shall see I guess. :-)

Last edited:
Dhaka Metro Rail Opening

“The project as a whole is quite sound technically”​

In conversation with Prof. Dr. Shamim Z. Bosunia, Chairman and Managing Director, Abode of Consultants (Pvt) Ltd and Former President, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh

Sarah Bintay Shakhawat

Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:00 AM Last update on: Wed Dec 28, 2022 03:56 AM

The Daily Star (TDS): The MRT service is expected to save city dwellers from the menace of traffic congestion, improving the overall traffic situation of the city. How do you perceive the project's impact?
Prof. Dr. Shamim Z. Bosunia (SZB): There is no doubt that the MRT service is essential in large cities and can help to alleviate traffic congestion. Dhaka's congestion is particularly severe, unlike anything seen in other parts of the world. If the MRT service is implemented successfully as planned, it has the potential to significantly improve the traffic situation in the city. However, based on the current situation, I am not optimistic that it will make a positive difference.

The MRT route from Diabari to Agargaon has faced challenges in obtaining permission. Some sections of the route pass through congested areas, and some stations pose risks. For example, the Kawran Bazar station requires passengers to disembark on a busy footpath, which will likely become even more crowded once the MRT service begins. When the project is completed up to Kamalapur Station, it is expected to be the busiest station of all, serving the largest number of passengers.

I have seen stations in other countries that were built far from main roads due to space constraints and use overpasses to transport passengers. I am not sure if this approach would have been possible in our country due to location challenges. As the head of the panel of experts for this project, I was only consulted for problem-solving purposes and not involved in the decision-making process.

There is a plan to station 50 buses at Agargaon station for passengers to continue their commute. This will be especially beneficial for those coming from Uttara, but may not be practical for those traveling to Motijheel from there as they will not be able to board running buses. To address this, additional buses will be available in that area, though it is unclear where they will be stationed. It might have been more effective to test this approach on a trial basis before implementing it.

TDS: During the completion of the project, what technical challenges arose and how much of it could be addressed?
SZB: As one of the largest projects in the country, we did encounter many challenges. Given that we could not address all of them at once, we prioritized them. The most significant technical challenge arose when the alignment of MRT Line 6 deviated from the original route, which was supposed to go through the eastern side of the assembly building and continue to Farmgate via Bijoy Smaroni intersection. However, objections from certain quarter prevented us from following this plan.

After that, on the assembly building's east side road, two pillars were built with a bigger span. The other spans are only 38m, smaller than these two. The route then goes through the Khejurbagan road and crosses Manik Mia avenue joint, making this whole trajectory very risky from an engineer's point of view. The train will have to slow down there- which still remains a big challenge. If it goes with a high speed, there is a chance that it will fall upside down. The same criticality arises when the train takes its turn in Farmgate once more. The span has increased and so has the curvature- which is deadly.

Another challenge remains regarding the stations in congested areas. The Agargaon station is fantastic, even the Farmgate station is being built beautifully. But the other ones, especially the next one at Kawran Bazar is questionable. Proper steps could have been taken regarding this, keeping the station a bit far away. In the current plan, the passengers are expected to disembark on the footpath, which is crowded and narrow as it is.

TDS: How do you evaluate the project from the technical aspects? Do you think that the project is technically sound?
SZB: Given the technological aspects, once it is completed, it will undoubtedly help the population. However, I'm unsure of how it will cover such a large volume with just one line at this time, since millions of people travel every day. How much time will it take them to board the train? And I have no idea how the stations will serve such a large population with an appropriate time interval. However, I am confident that this service will be extensively used.

The project as a whole is quite sound technically. The ability to sustain frequency and continuous electricity are primarily required here. It is clear that the frequency, which refers to the number of times the train can travel the complete route, must be effective. Otherwise, due to a lack of available space, passengers will be standing in the station for an extended period of time without being able to board.

The span is 38 meters, which is fairly sufficient for supporting the weight of the train as well as the passengers. Integrated tests were also carried out to determine whether or not the entire system, which is comprised of 17–18 distinct types of services, is capable of working and functioning without any passengers present. I am happy to report that all of the testing went off without a hitch, and the tracks are looking better than ever.

TDS: What were the learnings from the MRT Line-6 project? And what should the following steps be to ensure a more efficient and smooth completion of the rest of the lines?
SZB: I agree that there has been a delay, and it is only natural that as a result, the expenses associated with the project have also increased.

If you ask me about the learnings, I'd want to emphasize how important it is to have spacious stations. A transport survey is one of the initial phases in planning any route in traffic engineering. So, conducting proper transportation and population surveys could be another lesson learned from this endeavor. A poll should be conducted to determine how many people would utilize a given station. There may be almost a hundred passengers leaving if you take into account the station right before Diabari, which is the second-to-last stoppage. There is no use in building a massive station there. In contrast, I anticipate that Kawranbazaar station will see the most travelers. However, as I have previously indicated, the station is rather crowded there. Therefore, accurate surveys on these issues should be conducted.

The challenges this project faced were not particularly significant. The facilities and the factors of implementation worry me more. We won't know how the MRT service will continue to function effectively or how the entire system will operate smoothly until it commences.

Interviewed by Sarah Bintay Shakhawat, The Daily Star

‘I’ll pass this story to my children’​

Metro rail workers ecstatic on inauguration day

Dipan Nandy, Arafat Rahaman
Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:00 AM Last update on: Thu Dec 29, 2022 01:51 AM

Photo: Star
metro-rail11.jpg

As the metro-rail train started its maiden journey yesterday afternoon, Swadhin Ahmed, a young man, had a wide smile on his face. In fact, it was a day of pride for Swadhin, who had been working for the metro-rail project for three years.

"This is the happiest day of my life. My contributions will remain alive for eternity," he said. "I want to share this dreamy chapter of my life with my children and grandchildren in future."

Not only Swadhin, all the workers were elated on the watershed day in the transport sector of Bangladesh.

"I don't have words to express my feelings. It's beyond everything," said Abdullah Al Noman, in-charge of mechanical work at the firefighting department for Uttara North and Agargaon metro stations.

Another worker, Abdul Alim, said that their work would be successful when metro-rail trains start in full swing, as passengers will reach their destination faster and comfortably then.

The country almost came to a standstill during the Covid-19 pandemic. But even then, these workers continued their work.

One of them is civil engineer Mosaddek Hossain. "There were many uncertainties surrounding the construction works, but we kept going," he said.

Not only workers, people from all backgrounds were celebrating the occasion.

Maria Akter Bristy, a fourth-grader of Hazi Yousuf Ali Government Primary School, came to Agargoan with her father to see the train.
"It's beyond my imagination. It's awesome," she said.

Bristy and many others couldn't ride the metro yesterday as it would be made open for public from today, said officials.

Md Shohel, 29, who works at a private firm, was one of the many onlookers. "It was a nightmare to go to my office at Motijheel from Mirpur. The metro would be a great help for job-holders like me."

Over 200 hundred selected people, including dignitaries, wounded freedom fighters, teachers, students, garment workers, rickshaw pullers, farmers, hawkers and some metro-rail workers, joined the prime minister in the maiden metro rail journey from Uttara North to Agargaon.

Boarding the train, ministers and lawmakers expressed their joy.

Lawmaker from Mirpur-Pallabi area Elias Uddin Mollah said people of his constituency suffered a lot during the construction period of the metro project, as it caused gridlocks.

"But we have forgotten our pain as the inauguration of the metro rail took place today," he said.

Agriculture Minister Abdur Razzaque said, "The metro rail is a milestone for this country. Bangladesh is marching forward."

A SEPARATE BOGIE FOR WOMEN​

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, while addressing the opening ceremony of the metro rail yesterday, said the trains will have one reserved bogie for women.

There will also be separate wash-rooms for women and a care-centre for children, the PM added.

Besides, freedom fighters will get to ride the trains free of cost, Sheikh Hasina revealed.

The PM also urged everyone to use the metro rail responsibly, in a neat and clean manner. She asked commuters not to litter inside trains and at stations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom