dowry, Mahr, Mu'ajjal

chharoonahmad

New Recruit

Hi

Could you please help me with the queries below? It would be really kind of you.

In Pakistan "dowry" generally means the good, money, etc. that a woman brings to her husband in marriage. But I'm afraid this isn't correct in the context of the terms below? Please see the image. I think it's Mahr, an amount of money paid by the groom to the bride. I couldn't understand the terms #14 and #15? For instance, I don't get 'Mu'ajjal dowry' is. Please help me. Thanks.

Haroon

dowry.jpg

Ban this crap called dowry/mahr from this south asia.

dowry we should all agree that its a social evil. and men who still look towards parents of their wife for it should die in chullu bhar pani...

on the other hand,

Mahr is right of women in Islam upon marriage, not refundable in any way. so it should be encouraged as much as possible.

Hi

Could you please help me with the queries below? It would be really kind of you.

In Pakistan "dowry" generally means the good, money, etc. that a woman brings to her husband in marriage. But I'm afraid this isn't correct in the context of the terms below? Please see the image. I think it's Mahr, an amount of money paid by the groom to the bride. I couldn't understand the terms #14 and #15? For instance, I don't get 'Mu'ajjal dowry' is. Please help me. Thanks.

Haroon

dowry.jpg

edit:

not required, its not about dowry.

TO CORRECT U OUT..... HINDUISM HAS NO CONCEPT OF DOWRY LIKE ISLAM..... ACCORDING TO INDIAN LAWS.....HINDU WOMAN HAS RIGHT TO INHERIT HIS FATHERS PROPERTY

the question is utterly wrong. whoever made it is a jackass...

to begin with dowry is not a concept in Islam, its a subcontinent phenomena adopted/continued by Muslims, as in Hinduism the women have no right over heritage property/assets so it was custom that whenever possible the parents/relatives would give unmarried girls gifts and upon marriage dowry which was all she was to get from her parents/relatives but no share in property or assets...

whereas, in Islam there is no concept of dowry... the only incident which the so called scholars pull out as leverage for dowry is when Prophet Muhammad gave some household stuff to Hazrat Fatima upon her marriage... so a minimum amount of dowry is set with reference to it.

however, what they forget to mention is that the amount which Prophet Muhammad used to buy stuff for Hazrat Fatima was given to him by Hazrat Ali, who borrowed the money from a Jew, which was later paid off by some other companion friend of Ali to that Jew lender.

so, if you take into account full tradition, it gives no excuse to take dowry.

----------------------------------------------------------

now, to the right question. there are three types of Mahr; prompt deferred or both. it solely depends on the bride to decide which mood of payment she wants to adopt.

Prompt means Mahr paid/given upon Nikkah. if that is decided and groom doesnot obey, the wife has the right to deny her husband right of bed sharing.

Deferred means the Mahr which groom or his father promises to pay on a later date. it can be the house or anything as you may know. the Bride has the right to deny rights of bed sharing, untill she agrees the marriage cannot be consumed... wife can also forgive Mahr out of free will.

Prompt+Deferred is obviously the Mahr which is half paid upon Nikkah and half on agreed time, it can also be at time of divorce.

so if you understand this you know there is no concept of Dowry in Islam but there is a MUST Mahr for women.

another wrong concept spread by so called scholars is Sharai Mahr. this is utterly unfair. Mahr is to be decided by the girl. however, the amount/assets she demand should be payable by interested man or his father. usually Mahr is said to be twice as much as a man's earning of a month, which is also not fixed.

Mahr can be anything which a girl wishes or demands upon invitation for marriage.

Thanks a lot, Leader. I'm much obliged.

dowry.jpg

In section #14 it says, "How much of the dowry is Mu'ajjal (Prompt)". Then, in section #15 it says, "How much Mu'ajjal (Deferred)". Apparently, it seems as if Mu'ajjal has contradicting meanings; i.e. "Prompt" and "Deferred". Aren't I correct? The sections are from a legal document as you can easily judge that's why I'm being little careful with the details. Please let me know. Thanks.

Haroon

Thanks a lot, Leader. I'm much obliged.

dowry.jpg

In section #14 it says, "How much of the dowry is Mu'ajjal (Prompt)". Then, in section #15 it says, "How much Mu'ajjal (Deferred)". Apparently, it seems as if Mu'ajjal has contradicting meanings; i.e. "Prompt" and "Deferred". Aren't I correct? The sections are from a legal document as you can easily judge that's why I'm being little careful with the details. Please let me know. Thanks.

Haroon

edit:

wrong answer.

Once again, I offer my thanks for the help.

I think it'd be better to show you the document so that you can see if your reply is really applicable in this case. From your last post, I assume that the word dowry is used in its typical sense; i.e. money or goods brought by the bride to her husband in marriage. Please have a look on the document and let me know what you think. Many thanks for the help.

With best wishes
Haroon

Once again, I offer my thanks for the help.

I think it'd be better to show you the document so that you can see if your reply is really applicable in this case. From your last post, I assume that the word dowry is used in its typical sense; i.e. money or goods brought by the bride to her husband in marriage. Please have a look on the document and let me know what you think. Many thanks for the help.

With best wishes
Haroon

oh yar tu bhi shehzada hi hai... u should have shared it before.

anyway its dower(Mahr) not dowry (jahaiz). and I dont know why they wrote dowry instead of Dower in the document. cause the ones I have seen Mahr is written as dower.

so dower(Mahr here written dowry) is that asset/money groom or his father or anyone on his behave pays to the bride either before consuming marriage (Prompt) or promises to pay at some later date (deferred). the last question is a mix of both prompt and deferred Mahr.

TO CORRECT U OUT..... HINDUISM HAS NO CONCEPT OF DOWRY LIKE ISLAM..... ACCORDING TO INDIAN LAWS.....HINDU WOMAN HAS RIGHT TO INHERIT HIS FATHERS PROPERTY

To correct u out, Islam has no concept of dowry. U are not muslim thats why its understandable that u have a very little knowledge about Islam, but kindly try to avoid false claims about my religion.

In Islam, women also have the right to inherit their parents's property.

oh yar tu bhi shehzada hi hai... u should have shared it before.

anyway its dower(Mahr) not dowry (jahaiz). and I dont know why they wrote dowry instead of Dower in the document. cause the ones I have seen Mahr is written as dower.

so dower(Mahr here written dowry) is that asset/money groom or his father or anyone on his behave pays to the bride either before consuming marriage (Prompt) or promises to pay at some later date (deferred). the last question is a mix of both prompt and deferred Mahr.

Thank you very much, Leader. Very nice of you.

Sorry for not showing you the document earlier. I think I need to tell you the full story. My cousin is getting married to a girl who lives in the US. The parents of the bride sent us that document and my aunt had a hard copy when I visited her. Actually she asked me to go to some lawyer to get help. But I was sure someone here would be able to help. At that time I didn't know there also existed an electronic form. But later I was able to find the online fillable version of the document and showed it to you. And you were right the word "dower" was the right choice if the intended meaning was 'Mahr'. Thanks.

Haroon

To correct u out, Islam has no concept of dowry. U are not muslim thats why its understandable that u have a very little knowledge about Islam, but kindly try to avoid false claims about my religion.

In Islam, women also have the right to inherit their parents's property.

bro i was saying that hinduism like islam does not have concept of dowry.... i meant both of dem dont allow dowry

Chauhadry Haroon Ahmad sahib, may I add a few things even after your problem has been solved here.

When that form talks about 'dowry' it isn't talking about dowry as we understand in the Subcontinent. This is the 'mahr' given by the newly-wedded husband to his wife.

Just a few linguistic details: you do understand the word 3ujlat-عجلت- i.e. 'jaldii' or hastiness. mu3ajjal is from the same root 3 j l and could mean the very near future, or the moment that's about to fall on you. You could also make a Qur'anic reference i.e. of people who favour the '3jal im musammaa' i.e. what (little) is before them to what's in the 'aakhirah' i.e. later.

Chauhadry Haroon Ahmad sahib, may I add a few things even after your problem has been solved here.

When that form talks about 'dowry' it isn't talking about dowry as we understand in the Subcontinent. This is the 'mahr' given by the newly-wedded husband to his wife.

Just a few linguistic details: you do understand the word 3ujlat-عجلت- i.e. 'jaldii' or hastiness. mu3ajjal is from the same root 3 j l and could mean the very near future, or the moment that's about to fall on you. You could also make a Qur'anic reference i.e. of people who favour the '3jal im musammaa' i.e. what (little) is before them to what's in the 'aakhirah' i.e. later.

Dear Brigadier Sb.

Thank you for the input. It was interesting to know the meaning in terms of etymology.

Chaudhry Haroon Ahmad :)