BANNED
Reaction score
Unemployment rate hits new high of 11.1%

• Youth unemployment rate across eurozone hits 22.6% in May
• Manufacturing output stuck at three-year low
• Stock markets rally again
• Asmussen: Athens now off track on bailout programme
• Today's agenda

The unemployment rate across the single currency region rose to 11.1% in May, up from 11.0% in April. That's the highest figure since the creation of the euro.

The rate across the wider Europan Union also rose, to 10.3% in May from 10.2% in April.

Youth unemployment also rose again, with another 282,000 young people (under 25) out of work across the EU compared with a year ago, including 254,000 within the eurozone. That pushed the youth unemployment figure up to 22.6% in the eurozone and 22.7% across the EU.

EU-and-eurozone-unemploym-001.jpg

Eurozone crisis live: Unemployment rate hits new high as manufacturing suffers | Business | guardian.co.uk

Merkel said Tuesday that full debt sharing would not occur "as long as I live."

On the eve of a European summit, German Chancellor Angela Merkel touts tighter budgetary controls and says debt sharing will not occur 'as long as I live.'

BERLIN — As European leaders gather in Brussels on Thursday for a two-day summit aimed at resolving the Eurozone's debt crisis, German Chancellor Angela Merkel's response to the most aggressive proposal pushed by her neighbors is, in essence: Over my dead body.

With borrowing costs for Spain and Italy approaching unsustainable levels, European Union leaders have stepped up their pressure on Germany to accept solutions it has long resisted. But Merkel, whose country has Europe's largest economy and probably will foot the highest share of the bill for rescuing its struggling neighbors, has dug in her heels.

In response to the widespread call for euro bonds, which would allow European countries to issue debt jointly and could ease the cost of borrowing for highly indebted southern European countries, Merkel said Tuesday that full debt sharing would not occur "as long as I live."

A road map issued Tuesday by four senior European officials — European Council President Herman Van Rompuy, European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, European Central Bank President Mario Draghi andJean-Claude Juncker, head of the group of Eurozone finance ministers — laid out a range of proposals for discussion at the summit, including possible moves toward debt sharing.

However, Merkel said Wednesday that the focus should be on tighter budgetary controls across the Eurozone, the 17 nations that share the euro currency.

"I'm afraid that at the summit there will be much too much talk about joint liability and far too little about improved oversight and structural measures," Merkel said in an address to the Bundestag, the lower house ofGermany'sParliament. "Oversight and liability must go hand in hand. There can only be joint liability when adequate oversight is ensured."

Merkel's deputy foreign minister, Michael Georg Link, likewise criticized the road map as a "wish list" that wouldn't win German backing.

Germany is wary of proposals that would allow debt-ridden countries to relieve their burdens without first implementing painful cost-cutting measures, particularly when German taxpayers' money is on the line. But with fear growing that Italy and Spain — the Eurozone's third- and fourth-largest economies, respectively — are fast reaching the point where they cannot sustain their debt, critics say the Merkel administration is not acting with due haste.

"In Germany, the feeling of urgency is still not strong enough," said Sebastian Dullien, a Berlin-based economist and senior fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations.

In Madrid, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy told lawmakers that the cost of borrowing since Spain recently requested a bailout for its banks has climbed so steeply that the nation might not be able to finance itself much longer through debt.

"We can't keep funding ourselves for too long at the prices we're currently paying," Rajoy said. The summit may yield agreement on a number of small measures to ease the continent's debt crisis, such as removing the so-called preferred creditor status of the Eurozone's permanent bailout fund in order to reassure other lenders to struggling countries that they would get their money back. Germany appears open to the idea, at least for Spain.

But few expect progress at the summit on more decisive measures to reassure nervous investors, such as debt sharing. Dullien considers it unlikely that Germany will consent to the major controversial proposals of the road map.

Germany leader opposes full debt sharing in Eurozone crisis - Los Angeles Times

This is bad news for India too ,since there will be anti outsourcing voices at its peak !

This is bad news for India too ,since there will be anti outsourcing voices at its peak !

look, when you lose somewhere then you gain on the other side at the same time. for example, if Greece exit EU and depreciate its currency to gain advantage on export then its obviously, then they may have cheaper labor with exchange rate so they will be less likely to think for outsourcing, true. but its also true that at the same time their exported products will also get cheaper due to low wages of labors in exchange rate terms there......

US/EU charge very high for their high tech products due to high labor cost there and any sudden fall in US$ or Euro may bring down the imported cost of these products in US$ terms which will benefit India which import high tech products from US/EU. and it will certainly result in loss on the side of outsourcing as I guess British civilians will then start working as Call Centre people as english is even their native language :rofl:

you will only gain by fall of US/EU economies. even on the side of energy/metal price, we have example of early 2009 when oil prices fell to $30/barrel and iron ore/minerals became so cheap that AUstralia type country was not getting even the production cost of export, average metal prices fell by around 70% in early 2009. western nations have very strong currency which has heavily increased prices of oil/gas/metal etc and their too much buying of CHinese manufacturing products on the back of very strong US$/Euro, mainly resulted in high carbon emission. fall of luxury life of Western nations whose population is 'incompetent', is deemed necessary for the others to go high who may outperform others on the side of education/competency....:pop:

German Economy Grew More Than Forecast in First Quarter
May 15, 2012

The German economy grew more than economists forecast in the first quarter as exports to emerging markets offset waning euro-area demand.

“With this morning’s numbers, the German economy has not only avoided recession but could have even helped prevent the entire euro-zone economy falling into technical recession,” said Carsten Brzeski, senior economist at ING Group in Brussels. “One thing is at least for sure: the German economy remains the powerhouse of the euro-zone economy.”

Italy said today its economy contracted for a third straight quarter, with GDP dropping 0.8 percent in the first three months of this year.

The Netherlands also recorded its third quarterly contraction in a row.

France had zero growth in the quarter, in line with economists’ median forecast.

The European Union’s statistics office in Luxembourg publishes euro-area data at 11 a.m.

The 17-nation economy probably shrank 0.2 percent in the period after contracting 0.3 percent at the end of last year

German Economy Grew More Than Forecast in First Quarter - Businessweek

• Youth unemployment rate across eurozone hits 22.6% in May
• Manufacturing output stuck at three-year low
• Stock markets rally again
• Asmussen: Athens now off track on bailout programme
• Today's agenda

The unemployment rate across the single currency region rose to 11.1% in May, up from 11.0% in April. That's the highest figure since the creation of the euro.

The rate across the wider Europan Union also rose, to 10.3% in May from 10.2% in April.

Youth unemployment also rose again, with another 282,000 young people (under 25) out of work across the EU compared with a year ago, including 254,000 within the eurozone. That pushed the youth unemployment figure up to 22.6% in the eurozone and 22.7% across the EU.

EU-and-eurozone-unemploym-001.jpg

Eurozone crisis live: Unemployment rate hits new high as manufacturing suffers | Business | guardian.co.uk

The Secret To Germany's Low Youth Unemployment
by Eric Westervelt

The protracted European debt crisis and austerity measures have made career prospects for many of the continent's youth bleaker than ever. In Spain and Greece, nearly half of all those under age 25 are unemployed.

But as Dittmar's experience illustrates, that's not the case in Germany. In stark contrast, Germany's youth employment is the highest in Europe, with only a 7.8 percent jobless rate. At the heart of that success is a learn-on-the-job apprenticeship system that has its roots in the Middle Ages but is thriving today in Germany's modern, export-oriented economy.

Today Germany has a problem that Britain, Spain and other European countries can only dream of: It doesn't have enough skilled workers to meet the demands of its economy. Almost one-third of German companies could not fill open jobs in 2011. And some 30,000 apprenticeship placements went unfilled — or about 2 percent.

The Secret To Germany's Low Youth Unemployment : NPR

helllo_10 what do u think about the germany breaking from the eu and i believe taking a course that is in interest of both Russia and japan

Youth unemployment rate across eurozone hits 22.6% in May

My gosh! Yet this is only the beginning of Euro Zone crisis. Strict austerities will not help and have no resources for a whole sale economical stimulation. What now?

Man....when i read America in trouble...i feel happy....but when i see Europe in trouble, i feel sad....why is this?
:cry:

\
Man....when i read America in trouble...i feel happy....but when i see Europe in trouble, i feel sad....why is this?
:cry:
Coz you are in UK.....and anything that happens in entire Europe, UK bears its effect too.....especially economically.

\Coz you are in UK.....and anything that happens in entire Europe, UK bears its effect too.....especially economically.

Man, i spent time in USA.....but i always felt Europeans were more soft and humble people...like modern day Europe...not like dis-respectful and war mongering Americans........

I don't know man....i just feel it that way..........

Man, i spent time in USA.....but i always felt Europeans were more soft and humble people...like modern day Europe...not like dis-respectful and war mongering Americans........

I don't know man....i just feel it that way..........
Do you know negative perception or word of mouth has more effect on a person decision making. What you are experiencing is the effect of media and people you interact with. Its a branch of management and science on study of human (customer) behavior. Also the opinion formation is studied by many researchers.

Jot down the type of news and conversation you daily have......it can be determined why you have this feeling. Also look for re-enforcement and feedback effect on our brain and memory.....

Do you know negative perception or word of mouth has more effect on a person decision making. What you are experiencing is the effect of media and people you interact with. Its a branch of management and science on study of human (customer) behavior. Also the opinion formation is studied by many researchers.

Jot down the type of news and conversation you daily have......it can be determined why you have this feeling. Also look for re-enforcement and feedback effect on our brain and memory.....

I know i know.......but the thing is....the place i was in USA, was the place for the American 1%.....so most of the students around me were snobbish you know...and when i met Americans outside, like general people, i found they were so proud that America is out there killing 'bad people' and waging wars as if it is some god.....and generally they were racist too...like especially at Asians.....just because Asians were getting top grades and not wasting their time partying at Frats.....

In Europe i haven't seen that......i feel people are jealous here as they think Asians take up their jobs, but they seem to be more in grip with reality.

Just my observations....

If it wasnt for germany , europe would have been in its knees at this time .
Wonder how with so many sanctions in the past germany has managed to stand apart with an economy so vast for a small country :woot:
Kaun si chakki ka aata khaate hai ye saale ? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom