What's new

Exercise Garuda begins in France

Report regarding the RSAF and it's participation in the exercise:

RSAF sharpens operational edge in exercise with French and Indian Air Forces
Defpro.news , June 25

On 22 Jun, close to a hundred aircraft enthusiasts thronged the open grounds of Orange Air Base in France as they were presented with the golden opportunity to capture the sights of aircraft from not just one, but three countries.
The aficionados snapped away on their cameras as various fighter jets whizzed past during the conduct of Exercise Garuda, an exercise involving the air forces of France, India and Singapore, carrying out air combat and air defence missions.
This is the first time the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) is participating in this exercise, which is held from 14 to 25 Jun and conducted from the Orange and Istres air bases in France.
Commenting on the objectives of the exercise, the French Air Force (FAF) Exercise Director Colonel Jean-Paul Clapier said: "The exercise is a good way of allowing the three air forces to work together to accomplish their missions, enhance their skills, and learn from each other." "Beyond enhancing the interoperability of our three air forces, the exercise also enhances our pilots' skills through various complex missions," he added.
RSAF Exercise Director Lieutenant Colonel Pek Hong Hwa spoke about the opportunity to train with the foreign air forces, saying: "The French and Indian air forces are very advanced and professional. It has been an enriching tactical experience for our aircrew to exercise with them."
On the RSAF participating in this year's edition of the exercise, the Indian Air Force (IAF) Contingent Leader, Group Captain Jeepu Mishra, said: "It adds to our learning tremendously as the RSAF is a very experienced air force with exceptionally high professional standards".Joining the FAF's Mirage-2000 and Rafale fighters and C-135R transport aircraft, and the IAF's Sukhoi-30 fighters, Ilyushin IL-78 tanker aircraft and Ilyushin IL-76 transport aircraft, the RSAF took part in Exercise Garuda with about 180 personnel, six F-16D+ fighter jets and one KC-135R tanker.
According to Lieutenant (LTA) Devdutt Sasidharan, an F-16D+ pilot from 145 Squadron, the exercise has been an enriching experience.
"Being a junior pilot, getting exposed to such exercises benefits me because it allows me to see how foreign air forces train, and I can adapt the best practices and apply them in my work," he explained.
"For example, having seen how the French conduct their operations briefings, I've learnt to be more detailed and thorough in giving briefings."
Captain Olivier Chauveau, who flies the FAF's Mirage-2000 fighter jets, also shared with cyberpioneer what he took away from the exercise.
"It's been a big advantage for us to work with the Singaporeans, because they are very professional. I've also learnt a lot about the F-16's capabilities. I find the aircraft very manoeuvrable, and the systems on board are just brilliant."
Citing one of the missions in the exercise with the RSAF as his most memorable experience, he said: "In that mission, we engaged in close combat without the use of radars. It was very challenging, but we managed to complete the mission efficiently, and it was greatly satisfying."
Many of the interactions between exercise participants also went beyond the work place, said LTA Devdutt, who mentioned how the RSAF even met up with their French counterparts over the weekend for informal activities like soccer, gym sessions and dinners.Such interactions have helped to forge not just working relationships, but friendships as well.
"It's been a huge pleasure to work with the RSAF, and we'll remain friends even after this exercise. We have very good relationships with the Singaporean pilots, and I hope we will meet again for other exercises," said CPT Olivier.
To participate in Exercise Garuda, the RSAF team covered a distance of 11,500km flying from Singapore to France, making it the RSAF's longest deployment to an exercise. Two KC-135R tankers provided air-to-air refuelling for the six F-16D+ aircraft during the journey.
The team will return to Singapore on 29 Jun after the exercise concludes on 25 Jun.

defence.professionals | defpro.com

Interesting also that the exercise ends today and the RSAF leaves on 29th, while it was reported that:

The IAF contingent is expected to return back to India by 03 Jul

so a whole week more than RSAF. Special exercise between IAF and FAF?

ISPECAL training...or, an extended trial of future toy.? one week to thoroughly test the plane they are gonna fly...??

..was the BARS in training mode?

I believe its on training mode on all Ex. with other air force, includeing it happens in India, b'cos to avoid the rader signature to be used in EW suits by others in case of wars:azn::azn::cheers:

..was the BARS in training mode?

The Hindu : News / National : IAF conducts joint exercises with French, Singapore air forces

Enthused by the results of the Garuda 2010 exercises conducted jointly with the Indian Air Force, the French Air Force plans to send its multi-role combat aircraft, Rafale for the next edition in India.

Since the exercise got under way at Istres air base in France, the air forces of India, France and Singapore have flown over 60 missions carrying out various manoeuvres including implementing ‘no fly zone' and large force engagements both at day and night.

The exercises were conducted by six IAF SU-30MKI along with the Mirage 2000-5, with Rafale and F-16 being fielded by their counterparts.

IAF frontline fighter Sukhoi-30 also took part in the high-value airborne asset protection and protection busting missions.

In yet another exercise, IAF IL-78 planes carried out cross-refuelling, which involves refuelling the fighter aircraft of other air forces. Making the mission difficult was to practise refuelling denial missions, Wg. Cdr. Mahesh Upasani, spokesman for the exercise said.

The SU-30 was subjected to ‘swing roles,' during which aircraft switch roles from an offensive to a defensive one. The E-3 AWACS provided the radar coverage.

The IAF ‘Garud' special forces team also carried out two jumps by day and night along with the French special forces. The troops were para-dropped by IAF's IL-76 transport aircraft.

Wg. Cdr. Upasani said the French officials have expressed the desire to take the Rafale for the next round of exercises to be held in either 2011 or 2012.

‘REFINED DOCTRINE'

IAF Air Marshal K.K. Nowhar who visited the contingent taking part in the exercise, said: “IAF's participation in the exercise has reinforced the manner in which we conduct our operations. It has also helped us refine our doctrine.

“In future, there is a slim chance that a country would operate in isolation especially in a co-operative defence scenario.

“Thus knowing each other's best practices in terms of tactics, techniques and procedures is the main objective of this exercise, which is also a part of the on-going Indo-French Defence Cooperation.''

The intensity of the exercise has gradually increased to enhance the understanding of the contingent members. The exercise started with basic one-versus-one missions with limited Beyond Visual Range capabilities, progressed to multi-aircraft strikes and counter air missions with complete BVR capability, and concluded with Large Force Engagement sorties.

This exercise, with its scope, participation of mirages, F-16, su-30, and "RAFALE".

Man the pieces of puzzle are falling in place. This exercise coming just after the completion of MMRCA trial rounds does have something more than just meets the eye.

Consider these points.

1)SU-30 MKI is the bench mark of excellence in IAF and other aircrafts (MMRCA) are expected to operate in harmony and sync with it. SU-30 and RAFALE
2)Where does it (MMRCA) stand in comparison to the strongest aircraft in india's neighborhood on both fronts. F-16 and RAFALE.

3)How much more does it offer in comparison to the existing similar aircrafts in india and whether a smooth role transition can be made.
RAFALE and Mirage.

Where else could we have tested all the above considerations.

So, GOOD NEWS RAFALE.

img2718n.jpg

img2819na.jpg

img2855xs.jpg

img2869qf.jpg

I like this one i mean the plane in the background .. agile, maneuverable, stealthy, hard-points,and good avionics.... hope french offers it to us.

If we give them good offer so surely they dnt say no ........... for these planes :lol:

I like this one i mean the plane in the background .. agile, maneuverable, stealthy, hard-points,and good avionics.... hope french offers it to us.

I have to disagree, the plane in the picture is not stealthy at all. It is flashing on everyone's radar on this forum rite now. Awesome machine nevertheless.:cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom