What's new

Fareed Zakaria: Let’s be honest, Islam has a problem right now

As the legend goes, one day after the war was over, Ashoka ventured out to roam the city and all he could see were burnt houses and scattered corpses. This sight made him sick and he cried the famous monologue:

What have I done? If this is a victory, what’s a defeat then? Is this a victory or a defeat? Is this justice or injustice? Is it gallantry or a rout? Is it valor to kill innocent children and women? Do I do it to widen the empire and for prosperity or to destroy the other’s kingdom and splendor? One has lost her husband, someone else a father, someone a child, someone an unborn infant…. What’s this debris of the corpses? Are these marks of victory or defeat? Are these vultures, crows, eagles the messengers of death or evil?

Maurya Empire – Emperor Ashoka the Great | storieswithasoul
Yeah.
The concept of Dharmyudha has been practiced in many battles and has been neglected in many. That you are quoting an example of war in which Dharm Yudha was not followed is by no stretch of imagination that Arabs were the first.
The Laws of War in Bharat were being practiced long before Arabs came up with it and our books predate this by hundreds if not thousands of years.

If you're fond of characterless desh-drohi's whose business is to bash their motherland, then most welcome, accept him as our gift to you. It's one thing to do constructive criticism, however, in his case, he gets his jollies solely from character assassination and Islam bashing.

His one and only persistent quality, singing Yankee Doodle! :D

@Syed.Ali.Haider - You rank right up with Malala and Dr Salam when it comes to being hated by fellow Pakistanis :D

If you're fond of characterless desh-drohi's whose business is to bash their motherland, then most welcome, accept him as our gift to you. It's one thing to do constructive criticism, however, in his case, he gets his jollies solely from character assassination and Islam bashing.

His one and only persistent quality, singing Yankee Doodle! :D
You know I dont see him as that. He doesn't bash for bash's sake. Its because you care enough and want to make your country better that you are not scared of pointing out gory faults and tempering hoopla. No one likes to be hated by their countrymen.

One of the reasons I am actually happy to have Arundhati Roy in India. She says exactly opposite to what the people want to hear..and exaggerates as well many times, but what she says always has underlying truth. The truth no one in India likes to hear. Its one of the reasons she is utterly hated with a burning passion by most people in India.

But it is what we need in India..to temper us. A thankless job to be sure but one that would yield rich dividends for the nation.

I see Syed in that sense.

Last edited:
Dude, you know me from my posts pretty well too and the lengths I'll go to to state facts as they are. Having said that, you think that he's giving you an actual description of ground realties, when, in fact, he always feeds you half truths as he's biassed to his core. Trust you me, he's loyal to no one, but America. Enough said.

You know I dont see him as that. He doesn't bash for bash's sake. Its because you care enough and want to make your country better that you are not scared of pointing out gory faults and tempering hoopla. No one likes to be hated by their countrymen.

One of the reasons I am actually happy to have Arundhati Roy in India. She says exactly opposite to what the people want to hear..and exaggerates as well many times, but what she says always has underlying truth. The truth no one in India likes to hear. Its one of the reasons she is hated with a passion in India.

I see Syed in that sense.

Dude, you know me from my posts pretty well too and the lengths I'll go to to state facts as they are. Having said that, you think that he's giving you an actual description of ground realties, when, in fact, he always feeds you half truths as he's biassed to his core. Trust you me, he's loyal to no one, but America. Enough said.
Yes. And I greatly respect you for that. You, Syed, Niaz, Oscar, notorious and some more people are among those whose posts I diligently read and think over, particularly when they go against what my views are.

I would just say this - let us not judge loyalties based on an online forum. The world is too big and complex to be judgemental. And we all show our love and patriotism in many different ways. And all of us see only one side of each others personality on this forum, not the whole picture.

How about those? Since USA killed Bagdad ppl, you will also kill Bagdadi ppl?? You will make yajidi and Shia sex slave??

Now ISIS is USA proxy.. Thats why they are beheading American and brits jounralist.. Thats why Muslim from 50 countries are fighting with ISIS...

Those Brit Muslim who joined ISIS are also CIA/MI6 spies..

Where you guys learn lie, denial and BS?? Which book or teacher taught you guys these things???

I lose brain cells when ever I read your comments. Don't be insulted, usually I would have had much harsher words but I'm having a great day today.:D

has been practiced in Indian subcontinent long before the Arabs or Europeans ever thought of doing so.

The world started in India, we get it. Adam & Eve were actually Akshay & Ekta.

The world started in India, we get it. Adam & Eve were actually Akshay & Ekta.
There is a phrase in Latin for what you just did. Reductio ad absurdum.
You extended an argument to ridiculous proportions and then tried to pass it off as wrong.

Or maybe Im wrong and the first phrases uttered by mankind were also by Arabs and some Khalifa.

See what I did there ;)

You are free to double check what I stated on Rules of War/humane war and how comprehensively wrong 'SC' was.

Totally blind which is a characteristic of Islamist. They do not find any fault if Muslims kills others or even Muslim. If Muslim kills other and other counters it than they are Zoinist. No surprise that with such a brain washed mentality, they are engaged in simply killing others and blow themselves up, They have no respect for Human rights and no care for Human life including their own. I can clearly visualize why they are so blind either ready to kill others or themselves. They will never accept any advise from the person like Zakaria. They have suffered enough but i think that this suffering is not enough to open their eyes or mind, I see an indication of nature.

Nobody kills palestinee children and women. It is coward Hamas terrorist who takes shelter among civilian and fire from crowded places. If they are brave, they should fight with chest in front.They used women and children as the shelter to save themselves.

Here we have lecture about human rights from a hindu terrorist who is flouting human rights in Kashmir on daily basis. As I said, the only good hindu terrorist is the dead one.

Actually, it is people who DO.

Yeah, we've seen many samples of your kind of 'ethics' in netanyahu and modi.

Yeah.
The concept of Dharmyudha has been practiced in many battles and has been neglected in many.
Dharamyudh is a 1988 Indian Bollywood film directed by Sudarshan Nag.....No idea what you are talking about!

That you are quoting an example of war in which Dharm Yudha was not followed is by no stretch of imagination that Arabs were the first.
THAT was a reply to this:

I said - humane warfare - one in which the lives of defeated warriors are spared, one in which no woman and child is killed, one in which war has to be mandatorily stopped at sunset - has been practiced in Indian subcontinent long before the Arabs or Europeans ever thought of doing so.

The Laws of War in Bharat were being practiced long before Arabs came up with it and our books predate this by hundreds if not thousands of years.
Yea and I pointed out the same....Ashoka was way before the Arabs hence the example used...

There is a phrase in Latin for what you just did. Reductio ad absurdum.
You extended an argument to ridiculous proportions and then tried to pass it off as wrong.

Or maybe Im wrong and the first phrases uttered by mankind were also by Arabs and some Khalifa.

See what I did there ;)

You are free to double check what I stated on Rules of War/humane war and how comprehensively wrong 'SC' was.

Don't take it personal. You people bring India into every debate. I understand India has some great ancient civilisation and was a base for some great knowledge. But Indians didn't manage to spread their knowledge as successfully as Arabs or Europeans managed to do. Europe borrowed many of its knowledge from Greeks, Romans and Arabs not from Indians. This is a historical fact.

Don't take it personal. You people bring India into every debate. I understand India has some great ancient civilisation and was a base for some great knowledge. But Indians didn't manage to spread their knowledge as successfully as Arabs or Europeans managed to do. Europe borrowed many of its knowledge from Greeks, Romans and Arabs not from Indians. This is a historical fact.
No doubt. Arabs were amazingly good traders and they translated and took a lot of knowledge from India to Europe besides adding their own and increasing it.

The Arabs further enhanced knowledge using pre-existing knowledge of Indian subcontinent. The same way Europeans used many Arab underlying knowledge to enhance it. Human knowledge and history is connected and built on each others work.

But my point is that many Pakistanis seem to be under the illusion that everything good in the world began from Arabs and Muslims. Utter falacy. Had they bothered to study the history of their own country/region in the period before they bin Qasim, they would find much to be proud of. The chap SC is an example thereof. Who told him that Salahuddin and Koran were the first to do and define humane warfare, I have no idea. But I see this tendency quite a lot.

Back
Top Bottom