What's new

Female journalist sentenced to 60 lashes over TV show

H2O3C4Nitrogen

Reaction score

Riyadh: A Saudi court sentenced a female journalist to receive 60 lashes for her links to a broadcaster that aired a TV talk show in which a young Saudi man boasted about his premarital sexual conquests, the Saudi Gazette newspaper reported Sunday.
The woman, who works for Lebanese TV network LBC, was ordered to stand trial along with another female producer of the "Bold Red Line" talk show. No details have been released about the trial of the second woman charged.

The episode, aired at the end of July by LBC, shocked many in the country, where the state enforces a puritanical brand of Islam.

Rosanna Al-Yami, who is under a travel ban as she awaits her punishment, said that during the Saturday trial, the judge dropped all charges that she had been directly involved with the episode.

However, Al-Yami said she was sentenced to 60 lashes for having been a part-time employee for LBC's Saudi operations. The judge said that LBC had lacked the appropriate operating licence.

Al-Yami's sentencing comes weeks after Mazen Abdel-Jawad, 32, was convicted of "publicising vice and confessing to crimes on a satellite television channel" for describing his sexual adventures on the show.

Eight days after Abdel-Jawad's arrest, authorities closed LBC's offices in western Jeddah for airing programmes "contrary to morals and ethics". The satellite channel was also accused of operating in the kingdom without a licence.

Al-Yami said she was sentenced to 60 lashes for having been a part-time employee for LBC's Saudi operations.

Now aint that extremism at its best ...
They sure like to lash women but were so scared to fight the Iraqi forces ....Loosers

and they say pakistani are extremists........stupid saudis it sickens me so many pakistanis still suck up to this country. I only care about mecca and medina not saudi arabia.

I saw the Talibaan video lashing a girl and now 60 lashes, that is too much, 58 would have been enough for the biiiiitch.

Now aint that extremism at its best ...

Dear! i think you r not clear with your definition of extremists. As to my knowledge Sharia is the rule of law in Saudia. So who are you to put urself in a position to decide whether the judgment was right(extremism?) or not?

To you, i think, being Mo'min (who obays sharia) is extremism?
If it is so... Main nhi maanta, main nhi maanta. :tdown:

NOTE: please don't read it as a post from a Saudi elite's supporter, but Sharia's.

This article is not clear. Was she sentenced to lashes because she works for the broadcaster or because she was involved in the programme which was offensive ?

So what is the solution. Should public lashing be allowed as a part of punishment or should it not...

Lashing forms the part of Sharia. but at the same time it cannot be justified in the state of society in which we live in. Should countries like Pakistan which is also an Islamic state should have lashing as punishment? Since it is a Islamic state how much should Islam be included in the affairs of the state?..

No offense intended.

I personally don't condone barbaric punishment. The woman did absolutely nothing wrong to deserve any punishment. If the programming was offensive, the station manager should be held accountable by way of a heavy fine.:coffee:

I personally don't condone barbaric punishment. The woman did absolutely nothing wrong to deserve any punishment. If the programming was offensive, the station manager should be held accountable by way of a heavy fine.:coffee:

Right. Cencorship and Channel ban are better solutions.

Dear! i think you r not clear with your definition of extremists. As to my knowledge Sharia is the rule of law in Saudia. So who are you to put urself in a position to decide whether the judgment was right(extremism?) or not?

To you, i think, being Mo'min (who obays sharia) is extremism?
If it is so... Main nhi maanta, main nhi maanta. :tdown:

NOTE: please don't read it as a post from a Saudi elite's supporter, but Sharia's.

oh wow so injustice is part of shariah law ? lashing a woman for something someone else did wrong is shariah law ? wtf is wrong with you ? clearly you have no clue about what shariah is :tdown::hitwall:

brutality at its best .. wht moron and coward hits a women.

Firstly, this punishment was revoked as reported on BBC.

Secondly, what you said can't be applied to punishment. In punishment its irrelevent whether it's male or female, they should get the same punishment. Punishment is normally something that the punished can NOT take. The male was ordered 1,000 lashes -- it's not something he can take and it's not meant to be something it can take, by definition. Same goes for female.

In this particular case, there's no need for lashes because she wasn't the one who did anything. I believe they should be consistent and send her 2 years in jail as they did to the other men (the ones who were not involved). Yes it is harsh, but it works. Look at the number of crimes in KSA compared to other countries.

PlanetWarrior-If you continue with negative comments and try to derail threads you will be kicked out of the forum.

Fight Pakistan Army, I love the Pakistan Army and dream of killing people like you.

Back
Top Bottom