What's new

First solar energy iPad for children in rural India

It's made by Singaporeans.

These things are sold in Chinese bazaars, probably you'll find something that gives high def, wifi and has 2gb of memory as well for like $100 price. People who make that are not called "scientists" as this article is doing.

Mate, this version which will be distributed in villages probably costs less than 10$
This is not a friggin computer, stop dragging China into everything. Whenever we try to do something good, China this china that.. simply does not cut it.

It's a low cost tool for education, and it works.

Edit: By we "doing good", I'm not implying we developed the technology or even the product. I'm referring to the idea of making cheap sustainable tech accessible to India's rural children.

@Asim Aquil:-
this is made especially for chidren.
and i guess they will not be having access to net and therefore to :pdf:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't understand that there are so many announcements for these high tech gadgets every now and then whereas I am yet to see them turning into a reality. Before we introduce these high tech gadgets to the rural children, more needs to be done in order to improve the schooling infrastructure and quality of teachers. All these gizmos and gadgets will go down the drain if there is no good infrastructure for rural schools.

They are tablets not ipads lol. Ipad is a tablet that apple makes.

Would you have said the same if this product was made available to the most rural children in Pakistan who dont even have access to electricity ? How would they care whether this product is a cheap knock off to the 1000$ ipad ? They might not even see 1000$ in their entire lives. This product is meant to educate them and improve their future. Quality does not matter. It is not designed for luxury or entertainment. It will make them want to learn and make education interesting for them.

Anyhow, I'm not too surprised on the comment, judging from where it's coming.
Lots of such rip off schemes have come and gone in Pakistan. Like the unmanned cars and trucks, computer controlled vehicles.

They are nothing but to get some sort of big over budgeted order and everyone eats money in the middle.

Cool device! I wonder if they could make other applicances solar powered as well (stoves, tvs, etc.)

@asim aquil
Isn't it great that rural children can get solar powered(so perpetual battery life)tablets for $10?Can you see the difference between this and those rip off scams in pakistan which you mentioned?
Btw i happened to see similar comments from you in thread about $35 indian tablet(shakshak),that it is just like one of those chinese android tablets selling for $75-$100.For $100 you can get a chinese tablet with wifi,128mb ram,300 mhz processor and 2hrs battery life.And shakshak have 2gb ram,1ghz processor,wifi and it's solar powered.It can also stream flv which even ipad cant.Isn't there a hell lot of difference in specs?Any tablet nearing it's spec cost about $300.

Cool device! I wonder if they could make other applicances solar powered as well (stoves, tvs, etc.)

I am not sure of the current reality, but according to what I was taught solar cookers and water heaters are supposed to be very popular in villages. Maybe it varies from region to region. Biogas fuel is also very popular.

In what sense it was so important to be discussed on Pakistani defence forum????
How does it relates to Indian defence?
Indians are turning this forum in to a junk.

For those who rem. what happened with "35 $ laptop" thread, knows that its gonna be same.
Troller's are on way, just prepare to ignore and carry on healthy discussion.

Back
Top Bottom