What's new

Fitting the Trans-Pacific Partnership within Japanese National Interest

That is my interpretation of the political effect, and it is limited to that. Chinese fears that this framework could be used to amplify the American diplomatic or security presence in Asia don't make sense to me. Did the WTO, which is TPP writ large, accomplish that? No. People forget that just as the Asian and Latin American countries are bound by TPP, so is the US. It is the framework, and the underlying ideology, that is important to the US, not any immediate military or diplomatic gain. The US is playing the long game, here, and this is bigger than just the US, or even the TPP. This is about a philosophy for how the world will look over the next several decades.

Equal does not mean fair. It is like saying that a crippled 5 year old and Cung Le in a no-holds-barred cage fight are under equal rules, thus it is a fair fight.

I don't actually know your views on this matter, but this is the broad outline of the controversy.
As of now my views 're insignificant, 'coz I dont know to what extent it might effect me.
And if it does in a negative way, then be assured that I 'll counter what you had to say about R & D and the cost incurred. :)
Lol.

arsimperatoria.com? Is this your site?

Who knows, perhaps China can join the TPP in the future ?

my impression of TPP till now is that it's still very much a geopolitical move as well as an economic one. some discussion already took place in China on whether China will benefit from joining TPP, but that's pure economic talk. i highly doubt China will one day be a TPP member as long as the big power play between China and US is active. besides, the regulation part of TPP suggests member countries to abandon a large chunk of their independence in economical policy making (financial independence?), which China is not interested in, perhaps never will be. we may have a Chinese version TPP someday as Chinese economy matures.

we can talk all day about how good TPP is for the values of free trade with its high standards, but in reality the power of rule making lies firmly in the hands of US alone. Russia, Germany and China are somewhat the targets of TPP, it's hard for me to imagine these countries would simply join a US-led structure without competing for more leadership.

Last edited:
Hahahaha!

You need to learn hiragana and katakana , my tomodachi !
:hang3:I don't want to learn more languages...If it were not for the mark,I even won't learn English..
Maybe I will learn it when I get into the college

わ=is.....?
ほどに=real
もの=thing
おいい=good, nice
....:hitwall:

this is how much i can do with nihongo....the sentence doesn't make sense to me:cry:.

If you are to read it --- it sounds like this -- Me-Wa Kuchi Hudo Ni Mono O-i

The meaning , more or less is: One's eyes speak as much as the mouth. :)

If you are to read it --- it sounds like this -- Me-Wa Kuchi Hudo Ni Mono O-i

The meaning , more or less is: One's eyes speak as much as the mouth. :)
i can read hiragana and katakana just fine....for the sake of the anime :mad:.
sometimes it's the kanji that is misleading, the Japanese meaning deviates too much from the original Chinese one.:hitwall:

i can read hiragana and katakana just fine....for the sake of the anime :mad:.
sometimes it's the kanji that is misleading, the Japanese meaning deviates too much from the original Chinese one.:hitwall:

ha ha ha ! There are some slight changes in the kanji, too. Yes, you're right. Think of it as , to quote the Laowai speech, "Colloquial Diction".

Holy crap!!! Haven't seen you here for a while - if you've been around I must have missed it:partay:! I do agree with your sentiment though, the TTP will most likely happen, and if it doesn't something similar will take its place. Like the F-35, too many nations are invested in the TTP to see it fail into obscurity or have it watered down to the point that is is comparable with normal trade. Too much money, too much time, too many nations, you can't let a project like that fail to materialize.

I do have one problem with it though. As always, adding more and more voices has compromised the ease at which the project can be implemented. It's a high-risk, higher-reward type system. You let more nations have a say, more wrenches to throw into the negotiations and the result is the lag we see, but if it all can be pulled off the benefits are very, very strong.

With the Asia-Pacific being the engine of growth for much of the time going forwards, this is an investment that is worth the wait, though we can't and wont wait forever. Japan, for all its bickering and issues with the negotiations, needs this. It just can't afford to let the opportunity slip away. This will benefit all involved nations greatly and open a new door for US-Asian cooperation and relations. This is our Maritime Silk Road - to use a Chinese term, especially as Europe falters and Africa and South America go through some growing pains, but I hope that it isn't and doesn't become a new form of competition with China, rather, perhaps it can be used to entice them into a better relation with their region in return for more favorable trade ties. Sure beats the massive tariffs we already slap on their goods.

Their participation might not be possible, or wanted right now, but I would be in favor of China joining the partnership once negotiations are concluded. Right now there are too many voices and too much time being used to negotiate, we just don't need another voice right now. Perhaps in the future, but not at the moment.

Hope it gets done this year.

@Nihonjin1051 - I have only two things to say. 1. nice article:tup:. 2. I'm all for the TTP!

TPP is will be signed very soon in this year, I do think so. This is good move by Japan when Japan has joined in to negociation in the last minute.

Trans Pacific is new economy region, in the middle of this pack is the Pacific Ocean.

wo-aitpp-1.jpg

Last edited:
Why is Vietnam included then....Because of the high standards?
Bcz TPP is just a sanction to China, and it will come to reality when US beat Putin in Oil war, and VN is happy to join the 'eight nations alliance ' version 2 :pop:

Bcz TPP is just a sanction to China, and it will come to reality when US beat Putin in Oil war, and VN is happy to join the 'eight nations alliance ' version 2 :pop:

Eight Nation Alliance ?

With Brunei in this alliance ?

:lol:

Eight Nation Alliance ?

With Brunei in this alliance ?

:lol:
More and more SK_JP will shift their companies from China to VN, so Brunei can buy cheap and good quality products from VN in stead of low quality products from China after Vn join the TPP :pop:

value of trade of Vietnam in to TPP countries is 20 bill US$ in 2011, more than Brunei, New Zealand and Peru.:cheers:

Brunei can buy cheap and good quality products from VN in stead of China after Vn join the TPP :pop:
please stop contaminating this high quality thread. :hitwall:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom