What's new

French shipbuilder DCNS eyes more contracts from Indian Navy

No...But they were working on a bigger and perhaps better design.

So Mistral or Juan Carlos seems to be leading the pack. And as Juan Carlos multiplies as an aircraft carrier, it should be the logical winner.

Juan+Carlos+1+class+LHD.jpg

But can Mig-29K or LCA Tejas take off from it?

So Mistral or Juan Carlos seems to be leading the pack. And as Juan Carlos multiplies as an aircraft carrier, it should be the logical winner.

But can Mig-29K or LCA Tejas take off from it?

Taking off, they can do even from INS Viraat. but they cant land on either of them.

The LPD can hold NH 90 choppers. I am sure the idiot journalist cut the NH and added a 0. Thats the only logical explanation to this goof up.

I thought landing won't be a problem as it would be arrestor hook landing. :undecided:

Viraat and Juan Carlos are STOVL, only vertical landing. Migs and LCA requires STOBAR, short take off but arrested recovery. I dont think mistral can do even short take off, not very sure its designed for that.

Viraat and Juan Carlos are STOVL, only vertical landing. Migs and LCA requires STOBAR, short take off but arrested recovery. I dont think mistral can do even short take off, not very sure its designed for that.

I was talking about Juan Carlos bdw, and arrestor wires can be added with very little modification. Isn't it?

LHD_Juan_Carlos_I_(L-61)-02.jpg

I was talking about Juan Carlos bdw, and arrestor wires can be added with very little modification. Isn't it?

definitely not as much as converting gorshkov to vikramaditya but will be major change. The arrestor mechanism is too big plus approach radar and stuff.. too many thing. and you cant take off and land together. Better to go for our own. If we can sort out issues on the Vikrant then second one will come out in less than half the time taken. CSL keeps up the time for their normal commercial projects. If they can fix the issues with subsystems them may be they can roll-out on time for next project.

Some corrections:

- 900 is the maximum number of troops (not helicopters) that the Mistral class can carry:

Mistral Class Amphibious Assault Ship | Military-Today.com

- the RFP clearly said LDPs not LHDs, although the size requirements would let the Mistral class fit in as well. DCNS is offering Mistral class LHD, but also an LPD version of it, which is mainly a deck modification, since the LDP has only a small flight deck and hangar for aircrafts, with the main focus on carrying vehicles, troops and cargo.

- Juan Carlos is not an aircraft carrier because if the ski-jump, but an LHD because of the landing dock for amphibious vehicles. The ski-jump is just a help for fighters like Sea Harriers or F35B to take off, but not necessary like the US Amphibious assault ships shows

- Mig 29s might be too heavy to take off from such a short distance and to modify the carry with an arresting system is very complicated and costly, besides that IN don't want it, so lets not go too far ahead with the requirements here.

- the Hyuga class can carry troops, but the lack of a landing dock makes them transportable only via aircrafts. It is called helicopter destroyer for political reasons (Japan is officially not allowed to have carriers), but in case of a war it can easily be used as an helicopter carrier for troop and cargo transport, as a command and control, or medical base, like any other LHD or aircraft carrier. With their decision for F35s, it is very likely that they will add some B version sooner or later as well

900 Choppers on a LPD seems an over shot at a Max 21k Tons will be max 220 mts wont carry more than 3 Sqns of Choppers at a Max.....(1 HSQ = 10 Heptrs)

Indian masala journalism at its best

900 helicopter is a mistake..but DCNS is competing in acquisition of 4 LPDs/LHDs..i'd very much like to see Mistral in IN,a real force multiplexer and most balanced LHD in world.I think Mistral is perfect for IN.San Antonio is too costly and others can't carry huge fleet like mistral.

Yeah , it is more likely 900 Marines and 25 NMRH

When will Indian navy select the winner some where i saw it said by this year end is it true.

Which shipyards going to build this 4 LPD or LHD their are pretty big vessel when compared to battle ships build by our shipyards.

Is pipapav going to build 1 or 2 of this ships.

I think our navy will choose mistral going by the way we are making deals with French firms.

If India is going for LPDs, then it has be either Mistral or this -

LPD-17 San Antonio-class (US)...I've heard the Americans offered this ship to IN sometime ago.

^^ A beast if ever there was one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom