What's new

Gen. Kiyani named Vice Chief of Army Chief

In my opinion, most officers who make it to the Lt General are capable of holding the COA position. Ever since I can remember, appointment of C-in-C ( before 1971) and COA after that has always been dependent upon politics or at being at the right place at the right time but never on merit. I cant say about people before Ayub Khan (I was too young then), but most of our Army Chiefs since have been of mediocre calibre.

Ayub Khan's own military history is nothing to be proud of. Musa Khan was no great shakes either. Tikka Khan had good reputation but his East Pakistan operation was a disaster. Zia ul Haq; according to Gen Chisti's book, was only foxy but had low military brains and became Army chief thru massaging ZAB's ego. Gen Gul Hasan, Gen Baig and Mussharraf all became COA by being at the right place and being lucky. Many claimed that Ali Kuli Khan was better that Musharraf just as his father Habibullah Khan was better than Musa.

A retired Brigadier friend told me that both Gul Hassan and Yahya Khan had good military brains. But look what Yahya Khan did to Pakistan. I have heard that most intellectual Army General in Pakistan was Sahibzadah Yaqub Ali Khan, but he never made beyond CGS and three stars.

It remains to be seen how good Gen Kiani really is. At least one good thing will come out this; at last we would have a civilian president. No matter how much one likes Musharraf, having the same person as Army chief as well as President is a dichotomy in itself.

I think it is good and Genral has made the changes in the benefit of Pakistan

Back
Top Bottom