What's new

General Raheel Sharif gets promoted to COAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lieutenant General Raheel Sharif, Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military) hails from a martial stock. He was born in Quetta on 16 June 1956 to Major and Mrs Muhammad Sharif. He is younger brother of Major Shabir Sharif, NH, SJ and Capt Mumtaz Sharif, Sbt. He is an alumnus of Govt College Lahore, and Pakistan Military Academy from where he passed out with 54th PMA Long Course. He was commissioned in Oct 1976 in the battle hardened and renowned 6th Battalion The Frontier Force Regiment in which his elder brother had embraced Shahadat.

..............more: Welcome to ISPR

WTF !! :lol:

and then they say, we are not colonial minded :omghaha:
He is technically from Gujrat, Punjab since his ancestors belong to Gujrat. He hails from the military family so it is common for them to travel around the country. He is also a relative of Azeez Bhatti Shaheed and himself considered a very professional person.

I don't see any negativity about him. Prime Minister was given the choice to choose one of the few deserving candidates, all well deserved. He chose what he deemed fit for the role.

No methodology or criteria when it comes to sharif brothers, but strange enough all three seniors were ditched in favor of Raheel, I failed to understand were all three other seniors less capable?, surely out of those 3 one would definitely have made it atleast to my logic.

Probably the logic of nawaz sharif is select a hero's brother in this critical time Pakistan is going through and probably that would have been the advice of US to nawaz other than that not even 1 of those other 3 making a way to become Army Chief on merit and seniority with best track record is strangely senseless decision by NS.
Very well said...totally agree with you mate,
This is the only serious logic which I can understand,Mr.Sharif has no sense nor he has any proper criteria for promotion.
General Tariq Khan is one ambitious military professional,plus we have this image for him that he is capable enough to deal Americans-a man of excellent leadership qualities,or Zaheer ul Islam.
But for Mr.Sharif has no proper criteria,thus all I can see is 'apocalypse' if Raheel sharif 'failed' to tackle policy to counter insurgencies as well as against American biases at the same time.

He is technically from Gujrat, Punjab since his ancestors belong to Gujrat. He hails from the military family so it is common for them to travel around the country. He is also a relative of Azeez Bhatti Shaheed and himself considered a very professional person.

I don't see any negativity about him. Prime Minister was given the choice to choose one of the few deserving candidates, all well deserved. He chose what he deemed fit for the role.
Zakii,it is not about capabilities only,it is about experience,specialization and leadership qualities to engineer excellent policies plus political farsightedness,I know that all generals are capable,but in such scenario,don't you think that it would be much better to promote senior,well experienced ones?

Last edited:
Zakii,it is not about capabilities only,it is about experience,specialization and leadership qualities to engineer excellent policies plus political farsightedness,I know that all generals are capable,but in such scenario,don't you think that it would be much better to promote senior,well experienced ones?
If the selection was to be made automatically there was no need to present the list of 5 generals to choose from. They would have changed the law and promote the senior most automatically.

I am sure there would have be several reasons for his appointment. When I read this

"Sharif has played a big role in convincing the army that the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and assorted militants inside Pakistan are as big a threat (as India)," the officer said.

It suggests he is fully aware of the geopolitical circumstances and might be better contender out of the lot. On top of that his track record has been impressive so I see nothing wrong in it.

army as an institution recommended General Haroon as he was the senior most but sharif picked up the least expected, as his father and mian sharif were masjid buddies, probably showed up in dream and said to nawaz, "oye puttri mere yar day puttar nu la day" :lol:

anyway, the term martial stock is still hilarious and quite colonial, its no pride but shame only... atleast for my segment of the society.

It only takes an honest man.

Now whether Raheel is popular among the men, I don't know.

I can almost guarantee that Nawaz's criteria included a General that cannot rally the support of the Army. A non-threat and a yes man is what NS would have been looking for.

But again, I have no idea what kind of man General Raheel is.
The Quite ones are the most Dangerous of the lot ..

People here were hoping for Tariq Khan. Just to remind you even he is not a 'Senior' In fact 4th down the line

army as an institution recommended General Haroon as he was the senior most but sharif picked up the least expected, as his father and mian sharif were masjid buddies, probably showed up in dream and said to nawaz, "oye puttri mere yar day puttar nu la day" :lol:

anyway, the term martial stock is still hilarious and quite colonial, its no pride but shame only... atleast for my segment of the society.
People report posts on Defence.pk and say Ban him, ban him, ban him. I do what I feel is best because I have been given authority to take independent decision.

It is the Prime Minister's right to determine who is the best for Pakistan. Army may recommend it, but it is the PM whose been given the power to take the final and independent decision. If he would honour Army's decision blindly there is no need to give such a power to the PM. If he does bow down to Army's decision then the media would also eat him alive that he is under the influence of the Army.

The logic is simple, 5 most competent leaders were chosen for selection. He chose one of the 5.

If the selection was to be made automatically there was no need to present the list of 5 generals to choose from. They would have changed the law and promote the senior most automatically.

I am sure there would have be several reasons for his appointment. When I read this

It suggests he is fully aware of the geopolitical circumstances and might be better contender out of the lot. On top of that his track record has been impressive so I see nothing wrong in it.
Zakii,
you have just answered my question bro,
Exactly,that is why Mr.Raheel is promoted,because he recognized and persuaded other mindsets in army to identify TTP as dangerous threat as that of Indians.
But again,his policy to tackle 'American drone policy' plus 'sustaining do more policy of Americans' is a big question?
At this point Tariq Khan was loud and clear,he is capable enough to tackle Americans while providing safe guards to Pakistani interest,his stance in case of Kamra Base attack is quite prominent,if I am not wrong,while about Raheel Sharif,we have totally no idea of his views/ideas in recognizing Americans as ally or foe?
I reckon that his capabilities will be tested on litmus of performance and intelligence to sustain current 'apocalypse'

Last edited:
while about Raheel Sharif,we have totally no idea of his views/ideas in recognizing Americans as ally or foe?
I reckon that his capabilities will be tested on litmus of performance and intelligence to sustain current 'apocalypse'
But I am sure the senior leadership has that idea if we don't

Let's wait and see how he performs before we can question his promotion.

Sheeeeeeer ik waaarii pheeeeeer. Anyways hope for the best, it is what it is.

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan named a career infantry officer considered a moderate as army chief on Wednesday as the country fights a Taliban insurgency and seeks accord with the United States on how to stabilise neighbouring Afghanistan.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced that Lieutenant-General Raheel Sharif, brother of a war hero, would take charge of the world's sixth-largest army, with a formal handover from General Ashfaq Kayani on Friday.

The announcement comes as tension with India over Kashmir is rising and as the United States seeks Pakistan's help in bringing peace to Afghanistan ahead of the withdrawal of most Western forces there next year.

The army chief is arguably the most powerful person in Pakistan, with the military having ruled the country for more than half its 66-year history since independence from Britain.

Nawaz Sharif has declared he wanted to disentangle the military from politics but the military is unlikely to relinquish its hold at such a sensitive time.

"Nawaz should know that whether it is Raheel Sharif or someone else as army chief, he won't do the PM's bidding - he will be driven by the institution first and last," said security analyst Hasan Askari Rizvi.

The prime minister also named water and power minister Khawja Muhammad Asif as defence minister. The prime minister had held the portfolio since being elected in May.

Here are 10 important things you should know about Raheel Sharif:

1. New army chief Raheel Sharif is not related to prime minister Nawaz Sharif.

2. Raheel Sharif received his military commission in 1976 and studied military leadership in Germany, Canada and Britain.

3. Raheel Sharif's brother, Major Shabbir Sharif, received two of the country's highest military awards for his action during the 1971 India-Pakistan war in which he was killed.

4. Raheel Sharif is known to be close to tribal affairs minister Lt Gen Abdul Qadir Baloch, a key confidante of the Sharif family.

5. As a brigadier, he has commanded two infantry brigades including an independent infantry brigade group.

6. As a Lt Gen, Sharif served as Corps Commander for two years before taking over as inspector general training and evaluation in which capacity he oversaw the training of Pakistan Army, the Dawn reports.

7. Raheel Sharif had been awarded Hilal-i-Imtiaz, the second highest civilian honour that is given to both civilians and military officers of the Pakistan armed forces.

8. Raheel Sharif will assume charge as army chief on November 29.

9. Raheel Sharif was born in Quetta on June 16, 1956 to Major and Mrs Muhammad Sharif.

10. The general is married with two sons and a daughter.

(With inputs from Reuters, ANI)
Pakistan chooses moderate Raheel Sharif to take over as army chief - The Times of India

@fatman17 was so right!!!

Now I see Sharifs everywhere!!
Nawaz sharif,Shabaz Sharif and Raheel Sharif everywhere...Let us see now,that how this Sharif trio will fight with terrorism..I am so speechless rightnow......don't expect me of any sophisticated,decent analysis right now.:hitwall:

I was expecting that Tariq Khan and Zaheer ul Islam will make perfect combination,but Mr.Sharif was so insecure that instead of implementing 'seniority logic' of which he himself was chanting for the whole time,he selected such officer who atleast shared any sort of resemblance with him ie 'his name with him?'
just out of curiosity,what could be the exact reason of Raheel Sharif's promotion instead of seniors like Haroon Aslam or Tariq Khan?or Zaheer ul Islam?anyone with serious logic?
Haroon aslam made some blunders initially in swat and many ssg lost their lives and some other reasons but Raheel is third and Tariq is fourth and isi chief is 5th so nawaz didn't went down so much PM mostly selects from top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom