What's new

Genshin Impact becomes top grossing game worldwide in Oct: Sensor Tower

Not a fan of this style tbh. Perfect World was the first MMO I played and it's Chinese. I like that style more.

1607720534940.png
1607720667882.png

Is this a game worth playing or is it more Tencent pay2win trash?

Is this a game worth playing or is it more Tencent pay2win trash?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/best-mobile-games-2020-for-iphone-and-android/1100-6485442/

Genshin Impact

The so-called "gacha" game has gotten a bad reputation, arguably deservedly. The name is defined by its monetization hooks, not the core mechanics or genre conventions. So Genshin Impact, a free-to-play gacha game that also feels like a full-fledged action RPG, gained notoriety in part for what it didn't do. If you want, you can play all the way through the lengthy, well-crafted game without paying a cent.

But even outside of that notable difference with many other mobile games, Genshin Impact is a lovely Zelda-like in its own right. Clearly inspired by Breath of the Wild, it introduces a lush open world to explore, complete with dungeons and even a glider. Your variety of powers is expressed through the different characters who have their own weapons and elemental magicks. And adding depth to the game, swapping between them lets you stack elemental powers on top of each other for powerful combat effects.

And if you do decide to spend a little--or pay with the currency that's generated through regular play--you're rewarded with a ton of colorful characters who all have a striking amount of variety. It's a package that feels like it could have done well at a budget price, but instead, it stands as a model of how to do F2P hooks right.

It's not free, it's Pay to Win, LOL.

How is it P2W when it's a PVE game?
More like pay for wifeus and husbandos. There aren't any pvp content in the game and the hardest content the game has to offer can be beaten without paying anything.

And the hardest content isn't even necessary to clear. It's just to challenge yourself and the rewards are meh.

2020 in video games: Sensor Tower’s Craig Chapple on ramifications of Epic vs Apple showdown, rise of mobile-first AAA games, and key M&A deals

With the holiday season just days away, Craig Chapple, Mobile Insights Strategist, EMEA at Sensor Tower, looks back at 2020. We join him to discuss what the passing year meant for mobile and the industry at large.

How did 2020 treat the company?
2020 has been an excellent year for Sensor Tower. We’ve raised $45 million in funding from Riverwood Capital, and our team has grown exponentially as we continue to expand globally. We’ve also released an array of new tools, including our Game Taxonomy, which enables users to break down the games market by genre in a much more accurate and standardised way than with generic app store classifications. Our market leading platform continues to improve and we won’t be letting up in 2021.

What new trends in the mobile world would you say deserve attention?
One of the big stories this year is of course Epic’s battle with Apple. By pulling Fortnite from the App Store and Google Play, Epic appears to have set in motion events that led to Apple somewhat relenting to pressure and implementing a 15% revenue share for developers that make under $1 million. It was a clever move for Apple — as it doesn’t have much noticeable impact on their bottom line — and it’s good news for small developers and start-ups. Such a move will surely have to be followed up by Google. But the broader story of how much revenue share platform holders take, and whether they hold too much power in the market, will rumble on in 2021.

Meanwhile, Genshin Impact from miHoYo reflected two trends that have emerged: China’s increasing influence on the international mobile games market, and a new era of mobile-first ‘triple-A’ games production. Everyone knows China is a huge mobile games market in and of itself, and now Chinese publishers have really started to crack the code for successful international releases. PUBG Mobile from Tencent has generated $4.3 billion in revenue to date from the App Store and Google Play, Lilith Games has found international success with Rise of Kingdoms and AFK Arena, and Activision worked with Tencent to develop Call of Duty: Mobile for a global audience. Now miHoYo has joined the party with Genshin Impact. I don’t think we’ll see China’s global success relent in 2021.

MiHoYo’s reported $100 million investment in Genshin Impact has paid off handsomely. I think other publishers around the world will take notice and we’ll start seeing bigger up-front bets in mobile in future.

Next year the big thing to look out for early on will be the IDFA changes on the App Store, which looks set to really shake the market in a way it hasn’t really seen before.

Any general trends across the video games industry that stand out to you?
There are lots of trends I could highlight for the games industry. What’s really interesting is the rate of M&A that has occurred across the sector, particularly in the mobile space. It feels as though things have really gone into overdrive this year as the market consolidates. Key deals include Zynga’s acquisition of Peak Games, AppLovin’s purchase of Machine Zone, Scopely’s takeover of FoxNext Games and MTG’s Hutch acquisition. Then of course you have the myriad of deals from the likes of Stillfront and Embracer. Looking more broadly, you of course have Microsoft’s purchase of ZeniMax Media, Tencent buying Leyou, and the current battle between Take-Two and EA for Codemasters. It’s a hugely exciting time in the industry and the size and rate of deals speaks volumes about the sector’s size and opportunities.

It’d be remiss of me not to talk about the impact of the global COVID-19 pandemic and lockdowns on the industry as a whole. While discussing the effect on games seems insignificant in such a context, I think gaming’s outsized success this year is reflective of the joy this industry can bring to so many people. In such tough times, I think that’s something everyone working in this sector can be proud of: bringing smiles to people’s faces.

What third-party game releases got your attention this year?
On mobile, Genshin Impact was perhaps the biggest game this year. While the debate around gacha rages on, I think the title has proven to even the most ardent naysayers how much fun can be had in free-to-play mobile games and the quality they can offer. Then of course there’s Among Us, a game which has never ceased to make me laugh when playing with friends. I can’t believe it wasn’t an instant hit back in 2018. Sorry, InnerSloth! Then there’s the imminent launch of Marvel Realm of Champions, which I’m pretty excited for given just how good Contest of Champions is.

Outside of mobile, one of my favourite games this year has to be Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It packs the same exhilarating gameplay of the previous title and combines it with another gripping story. A shoutout also goes to God Of War, which I finally got around to playing recently, instantly becoming one of my favourite games of the entire generation.

Sensor Tower: Genshin Impact brings in nearly $400 million in 2 months on mobile

Genshin-Impact-Sensor-Tower.jpg

Genshin is sure having an impact on MiHoYo’s bottom line.

Mobile analytics firm Sensor Tower said today that Genshin Impact has brought in an estimated $393 million in the first two months after its September 28 launch. But the firm also noted that spending in the second month didn’t keep up with its first month ($245 million).

The free-to-play open-world role-playing game is on iOS and Android, but it’s also a hit on the PC, the PlayStation 4, and the Nintendo Switch. And it also runs on the PlayStation 5.

For a few weeks, Genshin captured the gaming zeitgeist (and an estimated $245 million in spending in its first month), with the Zelda: Breath of the Wild-esque game inspiring myriad discussions on social media and spawning numerous streams and videos on Twitch and YouTube. Along with Among Us and Fall Guys, Genshin showed how games with social elements could thrive in a time when folks were staying home to avoid COVID-19. Google Play named Genshin Impact its 2020 game of the year.

It also shows that mobile players are hungry for beefier RPGs that can rival what’s on PC or console … or live on all three platforms.

And its success is global, something that hasn’t happened with other mobile RPGs yet.

“Genshin Impact is the only mobile RPG that’s performed this well so early in its release — of course, we’re not counting China’s third-party Android stores in this,” Sensor Tower’s Randy Nelson said in an email. “There are others that have done very well, but those successes are commonly region-specific, such as we see with the Lineage games in South Korea or Tencent’s various mobile MMOs in China. Genshin Impact’s a standout in that it has performed so well internationally, and its achievement is even rarer among Chinese-made mobile titles. ”

Sensor Tower says Genshin Impact was the No. 2 mobile game in terms of generating revenue in the world, trailing only Tencent’s money-making powerhouse Honor of Kings (think League of Legends but on smartphones and tablets). The firm estimates that Genshin Impact has been earning more than $6 million a day since launch.

And it’s not doing well just because of the pandemic.

“… the game certainly owes a lot of its early success to a stellar marketing effort bolstered by its standout presentation. There really isn’t another mobile game like it, visually or gameplay-wise,” Nelson said. “It stood out early on in its development because of this, and also due to the fact that it was a multiplatform game of this caliber originating from a Chinese developer. The combination of publicity and production value really made it unmissable and endeared it to the hardcore community that it needed in order to succeed out of the gate. Gamers aren’t accustomed to encountering free-to-play titles of this caliber on any platform, let along mobile.”

And to no one’s surprise, China is Genshin’s No. 1 market for player spending, with $120 million (30.5%) of the two-month number. Japan (another region with a mobile-first player base) is No. 2 with about $98 million (about 25%). The U.S. is third at $74 million (18.8%), and it’s fourth in South Korea.

The one region it’s not catching on: Europe. “It’s not seeing much spending from Europe so far. Germany is its largest market there and only accounts for about 2.4% of the game’s revenue so far,” Nelson said.

For spenders, iOS proved to be the bigger platform, bringing in an estimated $226 million (57.5%).

Not gonna lie, this genre is pure sh*t, but I'm happy that the #1 spot has gone to Chinese pure sh*t.

Back
Top Bottom