What's new

Give Pervez Musharraf Support

Is that it ...

Musharraf warns of new military coup in Pakistan

Former Pakistani president General Pervez Musharraf speaks at Kensington Town Hall in central London. …

Wed Sep 29, 6:29 pm ET

LONDON (AFP) – Former President Pervez Musharraf warned Wednesday that Pakistan's military could launch another coup, as he prepared to launch a new party and rejoin the country's turbulent politics.

The retired general said army chief Ashfaq Pervez Kayani could be forced to intervene against the government of President Asif Ali Zardari which he said had failed to tackle rampant Islamist militancy and a crumbling economy.

Musharraf -- who himself came to power in a coup in 1999 and has lived in London since quitting in 2008 -- cited as evidence a reported crisis meeting this week between Kayani, Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.

Asked whether he thought there was a likelihood of a new coup, he told the Intelligence Squared debating forum in London: "Well, you see the photographs of the meeting with the president and the prime minister and I can assure you they were not discussing the weather.

"There was a serious discussion of some kind or other and certainly at this moment all kinds of pressures must be on this army chief."

The 67-year-old said similar "pressures" when he was head of the army in the nuclear-armed Islamic republic from 1998 to 1999 had led him to launch the coup against then prime minister Nawaz Sharif.

"In that one year Pakistan was going down and a number of people, including politicians, women, men, came to me telling me 'Why are you not acting? Are you going to act for Pakistan's good?" Musharraf said.

"Now I am in a dilemma --- the army chief, what does he do? There is no constitutional provision, what does he do?"

Musharraf confirmed that he would launch a new political party in London on Friday to contest the next elections in 2013 but refused to say when he would return to Pakistan, where he could face treason charges.

He said Zardari's government had failed adequately to deal with Pakistan's moribund economy, the threat from Taliban militants, and the after effects from devastating floods earlier this year.

Pakistan's powerful military has ruled the country for over half of the country's existence since independence from Britain in 1947.

Musharraf warns of new military coup in Pakistan - Yahoo! News

If only Musharraf had not done the final act of his , the infamous , the disasterous , the perpetual *****- the NRO . I might have forgive him but alas ! the final act 's legacy will not fade away and will continue to be resonated for decades .

If only Musharraf had not done the final act of his , the infamous , the disasterous , the perpetual *****- the NRO . I might have forgive him but alas ! the final act 's legacy will not fade away and will continue to be resonated for decades .
Someone did challenge him on that from the audience.

He said he wanted a new dawn, a politics of reconciliation. He didn't want one party to come into power and open cases against the previous govt, meaning that projects came to a standtill and the country couldn't run effectively.

The other point he made is that the court cases that were registered against the likes of Zardari were done so before his time in power. The courts couldn't convict him, so what could he do? He said he couldn't be blamed for that, and nor would he arm-twist a judge to give a certain verdict as that isn't what he was there to do.

He then went on to add that each of these parties will keep those corrupt leaders as 'heads of their parties'. Therefore, they would be leaders in absentia is what I think he was getting at. I may have misheard him on that. Will have to check.

I agree that it was wrong for him to bring that crooked bunch back. His point was that he was genuinely trying a new approach, rejecting the path of confrontation.

In some ways, he seems to be right as the PPP haven't been chasing the PML-Q down with corruption cases. Nor have they opened cases against the PML-N who were in power pre-Musharraf.

Did someone throw a shoe at Busharaf?

No?

Well shoes are more expensive than his empty head...
Not sure who 'Busharaf' is, but if you're referring to the ex-President, then he's name is Musharraf.

They did break into applause whenever he'd give an answer, a sign of approval. And they did stand and applause when he entered, and stand and applause at the end.

Something tells me that he had the audiences respect.

Musharraf apologises to Pakistan for past errors

By Myra MacDonald

LONDON | Fri Oct 1, 2010 3:49pm EDT

LONDON (Reuters) - Former military ruler Pervez Musharraf apologized to Pakistan Friday for mistakes he made in office and said he would return to the country as the new head of a political party in time for elections due by 2013.

Musharraf, who seized power in a coup in 1999, has lived in exile in London since quitting in 2008 to avoid impeachment. He would risk being arrested or killed if he returned.

"I will be in Pakistan before the next election, whatever the dangers," he told a conference to launch his political career as the new leader of the All Pakistan Muslim League.

Musharraf, who become embroiled in a row with the judiciary and briefly imposed a state of emergency in 2007, said he realized his popularity had plummeted because of some wrong decisions he had made in the last year of his presidency.

"I take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to the whole nation for those wrong decisions," he told a meeting of several hundred supporters, which was also broadcast live on screens in the Pakistani cities of Lahore and Karachi.

"I have learned my lessons and I am very sure I will not repeat them again."

Lawyers say if he were to return to Pakistan Musharraf could face a number of court cases, including over the death of a Baluch separatist leader and violation of the constitution.

He would also risk assassination by Islamist militants seeking revenge for crackdowns he ordered against them.

But Musharraf said he believed his country was in danger and that as a "patriotic Pakistani" it was imperative to save it. He dismissed accusations against him as politically motivated.

Pakistan has faced political instability, a wave of bombings by Islamist militants and most recently devastating floods.

The government, led by the Pakistan People's Party of the late Benazir Bhutto -- whose husband Asif Ali Zardari is now president -- has struggled to cope with the multiple challenges.

MUSHARRAF FACES BIG HURDLES

Political analysts, however, say Musharraf -- whose support for the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan was also deeply unpopular -- would have an uphill struggle to make much headway in politics.

"Traditionally, military rulers have not succeeded in popular politics, including those who went to the opposition," said political analyst Hasan Askari Rizvi.

"He'll have to come back and demonstrate his support. While sitting in London you can't really do politics."

Political commentator Najam Sethi said Musharraf's party faced big hurdles. "Musharraf does have a constituency but since the two mainstream parties, the media and the judiciary are against him, the short-term prospects don't look good."

Invoking the spirit of Pakistan's founder Mohammad Ali Jinnah, whose portrait hung prominently on the platform where he spoke, Musharraf promised to fight poverty and make the country a fairer place for all its people.

He also pledged "zero tolerance" on terrorism and extremism.

His party, he said, would fight corruption, hereditary politics and the domination of the rich feudal elite -- jibes often made by the military and their sympathisers against the main political parties.

In Lahore, about 1,000 people gathered to watch Musharraf and shouted slogans describing him as "saviour of the nation."

"Time has proved that Musharraf was a better leader and I still believe that he is the one leader who can pull this country out of the crisis," said Imran Younus, a student.

About 800 people watched him in Karachi, some carrying Pakistan flags.

(Additional reporting by Augustine Anthony in Islamabad; Mubasher Bukhari in Lahore and Faisal Aziz in Karachi)

Editing by Ralph Boulton)

Musharraf apologises to Pakistan for past errors | Reuters

Musharraf jumps back into Pakistani politics

By the CNN Wire Staff
October 2, 2010 1:14 a.m. EDT

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
-Musharraf says he has "strong pockets" of support
-He slams current administration's flood response
-Musharraf cites "huge clamor" for his return

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- Former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf has returned to the political stage in Pakistan, which he describes as a "demoralized" nation that needs an injection of vigor and leadership.

Once one of the United States' strongest allies in the fight against terror, Musharraf on Friday launched a new political party in Pakistan as an alternative to an administration he says is now beset with serious problems.

He cites widespread devastation caused by the spring flooding, a nose-diving economy, and a persistent extremist element, and said the current administration, which he calls corrupt, hasn't met those challenges.

"This is about leading, about support of the people and that's my strength," Musharraf said in a Connect the World interview with CNN's Becky Anderson. It is to be aired Friday.

"I don't see a political party out there now that is capable of bringing light back in the country. We need a new political culture that shuns dynasty politics," he says, saying that he wants a greater presence of women and minorities participating in the body politic.

Musharraf resigned in 2008 as Pakistan's ruling coalition began taking steps to impeach him, and Asif Zardari, the widower of assassinated former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, succeeded him.

The former president said he has "strong pockets" of support and there is a "huge clamor" for his return. He said his Facebook page has more than 300,000 followers and he has raised $3 million for flood relief, and wants to attract the many people who don't vote to give him support.

In fact, he contrasts what he says is the current administration's inadequate flood response to what he says was his proper reaction to earthquakes in Pakistan several years ago.

"We turned challenge into opportunity but they haven't done this," Musharraf said.

One of the issues in Pakistan is the war in neighboring Afghanistan and the fight against militants in northwestern Pakistan who have been involved in the Afghan insurgency. Since the Obama administration entered office in the United States, drone strikes against militant targets in Pakistan have ramped up.

Musharraf says he doesn't support drone strikes by foreign forces, but does back such actions by Pakistani troops.

Musharraf jumps back into Pakistani politics - CNN.com

Yes... Let us bring back the puppet of America on our heads...

No wonder a judge in America said that Pakistanis would sell their mother for a small price... It is reflected in the type of people we desire to place on top of our heads... tsk tsk.. what a shameful conduct this is...

No wonder a judge in America said that Pakistanis would sell their mother for a small price... It is reflected in the type of people we desire to place on top of our heads... tsk tsk.. what a shameful conduct this is...

Please provide a reference to the court case concerned.

After his recent statement regarding Kashmir at such a critical time in their struggle of liberation, I have lost last bit of respect that I had for this person. He is a loud mouth, power addicted lier and hypocrite who calls his political rival a dumb *** and at the same time admits that he did NRO and 3rd November on the advice of someone else, who he later termed as "jhootey" and "bakwaas".. Spare us from such jewels of wisdom Mr. (ex) President!

I say he has no control over his anger and could do anything just to gain some political points and become a blue eyed boy of Americans again. He has become a security risk and should be brought back to the country!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom