What's new

Govt asks economist Atif Mian to step down from Economic Advisory Council

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those criticizing Atif Mian's appointment should remember that Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan appointed an Ahamdi as our first Foreign Minister.

Sir Zafarullah Khan, a Lahore Ahmadiyya who was directly mentored by Allama Iqbal, was a great person who did much for Pakistan and Muslim causes (like Palestine and Kashmir) of his time. He even made Hajj and Umrah several times.

Totally different from the charlatans who head the Ahmadiyya movement today, and organize anti-Pakistan conferences in the West and form alliances with Israel and India against Pakistan.

Brief History of Sir Zafarullah Khan: https://pakistaniat.com/2007/02/12/sir-zafarullah-khan-ahmaddiya-pakistan-movement/

Sir Zafarullah Khan, a Lahore Ahmadiyya who was directly mentored by Allama Iqbal, was a great person who did much for Pakistan and Muslim causes (like Palestine and Kashmir) of his time. He even made Hajj and Umrah several times.

Totally different from the charlatans who head the Ahmadiyya movement today, and organize anti-Pakistan conferences in the West and form alliances with Israel and India against Pakistan.

Brief History of Sir Zafarullah Khan: https://pakistaniat.com/2007/02/12/sir-zafarullah-khan-ahmaddiya-pakistan-movement/
So one must prove their loyalty to Pakistan if they are Ahmadiyya? A little bias.

Why don't you see that a person was asked to leave office because of his religion? In the Pakistan that Jinnah fought hard to get, a free state, do you think that this is acceptable?

So one must prove their loyalty to Pakistan if they are Ahmadiyya? A little bias.

Why don't you see that a person was asked to leave office because of his religion? In the Pakistan that Jinnah fought hard to get, a free state, do you think that this is acceptable?

Not forming backhand alliances with Israel and India or pushing anti-Pakistan propganda in the West would help.

Regardless....if someone is pushed or he leaves due to not being allowed to do his job simply due to his beliefs is totally wrong. Remember how many christian pilots fought galantly for pakistan...i and we all owe them our great respect and gratitude. Some of these mullahs ard the worst of people. We both know what they are capable of

It is 100% related to his political views. His disagreement with Pakistan's constitution, blasphemy laws, etc.

Has nothing to do with his qualifications. Pakistanis have no problem with Ahmadiyyas who don't try to change our constitution or religious laws.

Not forming backhand alliances with Israel and India or pushing anti-Pakistan propganda in the West would help.
So, you're blinded to the fact that despite laws being there, like Article 27 to protect from things like this occurring. In modern day, free Pakistan once can be fired from their post because of the colour of their skin, cast, religion and ethnicity. One must first identify a problem to fix it.

They should not challenge/defy the constitution of Pakistan and expect government jobs!
Then you should respect Article 27 of the same constitution. Don't have double standards my friend.

Then you should respect Article 27 of the same constitution. Don't have double standards my friend.

As I said before, UK has equal opportunity policy as well but if you publicly speak against the UK, you WILL NOT get a high profile government job.

Search DBS - Data Barring Service. Senior government appointments have full checks including internet surveillance etc. If anyone has any negative views about the country, NO JOB offer!

Bro,

There are pros and cons of every project; CPEC is not an exception to this norm. I see two extremes in CPEC-related discussions: some paint a grim picture and some paint a rosy picture - balanced views are rare.

Any Pakistani economist would want to understand the economic implications of CPEC for Pakistan but s/he would need access to relevant data including the terms and statistics of affiliated loans. Logic is to suggest relevant safeguards against the prospects of exploitation (if necessary), and a roadmap for socio-economic uplift through CPEC within Pakistan [I haven't seen any yet]. Even some Chinese experts warn that Pakistan has to devise a mechanism for extracting benefits from CPEC; they won't babysit us through this.

CPEC is absolutely welcome for its potential benefits but it is devoid of independent scrutiny and input from within Pakistan, and this is why it is susceptible to "shady dealings." Much of the dealings in relation to CPEC were made by PML(N)-led government. I never trusted this government, given its track record of profiteering from mega-projects, corruption and sheer incompetence.

I have a general idea of various causes of Pakistani BoP problems, and massive trade deficit with China is the leading cause among them. FYI: https://fp.brecorder.com/2017/09/20170921219893/

CPEC should be implemented in the manner that it help bridge the trade deficit between Pakistan and China in the long-term.

There are no cons to CPEC. Absolutely none. Those aspects considered as cons are just what comes with a massive investments when the basics of the economy are shit. They will continue to be shit unless Pak can get rid of the distortions and structural flaws of the economy. The Chinese might have to babysit Pak thru this given what they've already put in financially and strategically.

Those painting a grim picture are taking a lack of transparency and blowing it up from hearsay and their own (payed?) agendas. BoP issues are not the cause of CPEC, CPEC only compounds it ever so slightly. CPEC, if Pak can truly realize it to its full potential, is a way to growth - which is the only way to get out of a BoP issue. Not austerity.

You are correct about the PMLN govt. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I was truly disappointed in the Chinese having given in to economically unfeasible projects for the political short-term gain of the last govt.

The highlighted part is never going to happen. Pak might increase its exports to China but the overall gap will continue to grow. China is and will remain a trade behemoth. Pak (and everyone else aside a few) are only in a position to complement China and learn from them in engaging the global economy. CPEC is giving Pak the tools to do that. It can help with exports to countries outside of China.

Sad that you think letting people serve the country on merit needs to be connected to the majoritarian oppression of a minority community. They and you can continue to think what you want about who or what they are, what that has to do with the affairs of advising on the economy is beyond me. The only story is that the majority are deluded and bigoted. Nothing, nothing that the ahmedis have done deserves the oppression the majority have heaped upon them. Mob mentality. I suppose you also think that the hindus had/have a reason to kill, oppress, and financially isolate Muslims - since they too are the majority and have their own convoluted reasons.

Agree with you one hundred per cent. My feelings are best expressed in the comments by Jemima Goldsmith, ex-wife of Imran Khan.

Indefensible & v disappointing. New Pak gov't asks renowned & respected Prof of economics to stand down because of his Ahmadi faith. NB: The founder of Pakistan, “Quaid-I-Azam” appointed an Ahmadi as his Foreign Minister.
Unquote.

It appears that decisions are being taken on ‘whims’ of one person alone without due deliberation and analysis of all the ramifications. If anyone had any doubts, Atif Mian shouldn’t have been included in first place. However, once the deed was done and defended by the PTI Information Minister who declared:

'We will not bow to extremists': Gov't hits back after vicious campaign targets Atif Mian

https://www.dawn.com/news/1430925

PTI leadership should have stood firm. I personally heard Fawad Chaudhry say so on GEO TV news and IMO this was the correct stance as governments are often required to take unpopular decisions for the good of the country. But two days later complete volte-face!!!! It is sending a message to the minorities that they have no future in Pakistan.

According to Aljazeera, the backtracking under pressure is nothing new for Imran Khan

"In 2014, when he was in opposition, he named Mian as an example of the kind of academic expert he wanted in charge of Pakistan's economy, rather than career politicians.

On being informed that Mian was a member of the Ahmadi sect, however, Khan backtracked, saying he only meant his statement to apply to academic experts generally and Mian was just an example."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018...vernment-removes-advisor-180907070249956.html

This has nothing to do with the love of our Holy Prophet (PBUH). Pakistan has made use of countless foreign experts in the past. For example Mickey Arthur our national cricket coach is not a Muslim; why not an Ahmadi Pakistani Economic Advisor?

Buckling down under pressure indicates “Spinelessness” of the PTI leadership. I sincerely pray that Imran does not have to a real high-pressure situation that Musharraf had to face when, following the attack on Indian parliament, both the armed forces were eyeball to eyeball on the border.

It appears that decisions are being taken on ‘whims’ of one person alone without due deliberation and analysis of all the ramifications. If anyone had any doubts, Atif Mian shouldn’t have been included in first place.

Don't agree with this line of thinking at all. Why? That's pusillanimity in the face of the pea-brained. He should've been included, and has to be included in the future. Hell I've been saying even before PTI won the elections that Atif Mian should be Finance Minister. He's more qualified than anyone, certainly Asad Umar, who had the grace to ask for help from those that are more competent than him in matters of the macro-economy of the country and how to get out of debt.

This has nothing to do with the love of our Holy Prophet (PBUH). Pakistan has made use of countless foreign experts in the past. For example Mickey Arthur our national cricket coach is not a Muslim; why not an Ahmadi Pakistani Economic Advisor?

Had that guy not posted such tweets about Pakistan's Sin and whatnot, I would ask the same question.

Obviously people have been watching what he has been saying and writing hence the issue was raised.

Government clearly did not carry out security clearance on this guy before the appointment.

Every such government appointment should be security cleared, irrespective of who knows who and who vouches for who.

It is 100% related to his political views. His disagreement with Pakistan's constitution, blasphemy laws, etc.

Has nothing to do with his qualifications. Pakistanis have no problem with Ahmadiyyas who don't try to change our constitution or religious laws.
Sorry bro but i am pakistani and live in Pakistan and we pakistanis have issues with anyone who is not the type of exact muslim we want them to be let alone a Ahmadiya

Christians do not lie and claim that they are Muslims in the terminological legal sense. Do they?

I agree with you in that an individual’s theological beliefs ought not to bar him from a job unless it is against the Law.
Many muslims lie.....they claim to be muslims but act like the worst of creation so your point isnt relevant. Fact is ahmadiyas are still confused because we are not good muslims. We dont engage in the right manner. We take their haw away. They jut want their rights and justice and thats their right in the constitution of pakistan.....white stripe of our flag and in islam they have their rights and protection.

We dont engage in the right manner.

Really? whilst their way of engaging is by calling us Kafirs, just because we don't believe in their nabi. They will call us Kafir even if we are in disagreement on the colour of a mouse with them (according to their definition of Kafir, as explained by one Qadyani here).

When a minority doesn't give a damn about the sentiments of the majority to begin with, and expects the majority to accept their definitions whilst labelling them kafirs for not agreeing with them, there is no resolution. Minority dictating a majority is not on - that doesn't happen in any Western democracies either.

Really? whilst their way of engaging is by calling us Kafirs, just because we don't believe in their nabi. They will call us Kafir even if we are in disagreement on the colour of a mouse with them (according to their definition of Kafir, as explained by one Qadyani here).

When a minority doesn't give a damn about the sentiments of the majority to begin with, and expects the majority to accept their definitions whilst labelling them kafirs for not agreeing with them, there is no resolution. Minority dictating a majority is not on - that doesn't happen in any Western democracies either.
Look at your anger anf tell me how prophet pbuh him behaved when he was in the minority and the majority ordered him to give up his faith..

Regardless of how they behave ad a muslim you have to be better. Anger doesnt solve problems it just compounds them. The reson muslims and islam is misunderstood isnt because of islam but because of muslims opening their mouths.
I dont care what they think belive or behave as. If we are good to them they will eventually realise their wrongs though us beakings the wals of the closed heart as opposed to their heads. After all thats what our prophet pbuh did. Too eady to point fingers label curse and kill. Very hard to teach learn educate etc and this also takes a long long time. So have some patience

Look at your anger anf tell me how prophet pbuh him behaved when he was in the minority and the majority ordered him to give up his faith..

Regardless of how they behave ad a muslim you have to be better. Anger doesnt solve problems it just compounds them. The reson muslims and islam is misunderstood isnt because of islam but because of muslims opening their mouths.
I dont care what they think belive or behave as. If we are good to them they will eventually realise their wrongs though us beakings the wals of the closed heart as opposed to their heads. After all thats what our prophet pbuh did. Too eady to point fingers label curse and kill. Very hard to teach learn educate etc and this also takes a long long time. So have some patience

What is this has to do with the topic at Hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom