What's new

Gwadar port to be operational by year end :Chinese official

P.S. I have restricted the commentary to Gwadar Port. CPEC is a broader project and understandably details would be withheld.

Assumptions backed by history. However, as I mentioned the issue is not that others dont indulge in it; but rather its done in moderation and not as a regular basis. If one does do so, and then follows up with snivelling the moment they are called out for that, that is just plain flawed online behaviour.

As for the Gwadar port: like many projects in Pakistan, it suffers from being sold to the public as the next best thing to ice cream in the summer, but efforts are not even made that one would make for based shaved ice with condensed milk.. if you get my drift.

I pray that CPEC doesn't end up with the same situation.

Assumptions backed by history. However, as I mentioned the issue is not that others dont indulge in it; but rather its done in moderation and not as a regular basis. If one does do so, and then follows up with snivelling the moment they are called out for that, that is just plain flawed online behaviour.

As for the Gwadar port: like many projects in Pakistan, it suffers from being sold to the public as the next best thing to ice cream in the summer, but efforts are not even made that one would make for based shaved ice with condensed milk.. if you get my drift.

I pray that CPEC doesn't end up with the same situation.

Ice cream......really ? Being more Gora than the Goras themselves; what happened to the good old Kulfi....! :tsk:

Ice cream......really ? Being more Gora than the Goras themselves; what happened to the good old Kulfi....! :tsk:
You can keep the kulfi, you farmland folks got stuck with the long plastic crap and forgot the earthenware.. every kulfi Ive had up north tastes like mushy cardboard.
Not to mention when you ask them for the kulfi milk that is served in the more educated south; one gets the idea "that is something extra we charge".

The only good thing to come out of the north in sweet is Robbens ice cream.. so stick with ice cream as the example.

On the other hand, considering that you claim to be doing your studies in the subject, have a read through the dissertation posted and see if it makes sense financially because I see a lot of quick conclusions.

You can keep the kulfi, you farmland folks got stuck with the long plastic crap and forgot the earthenware.. every kulfi Ive had up north tastes like mushy cardboard.
Not to mention when you ask them for the kulfi milk that is served in the more educated south; one gets the idea "that is something extra we charge".

The only good thing to come out of the north in sweet is Robbens ice cream.. so stick with ice cream as the example.

On the other hand, considering that you claim to be doing your studies in the subject, have a read through the dissertation posted and see if it makes sense financially because I see a lot of quick conclusions.

When did I claim to be studying Development Economics or anything similar ? :what:

Nahin paraa mein nei pooraa saaal...abbb kiya ho ga meraa haaal...E ai ga D ai ga...buccch na paooon ga isss baaar ! :(

Finance isn't Economics ! :tsk:
Finance isnt economics, but it should have gotten you the ability to figure out the costs in the study. Ja doob ja ab.

As for the CPEC, what is important is to see how well the origin of the project took into account the various costs and what factors it applied in calculating feasibility of the project.

Finance isnt economics, but it should have gotten you the ability to figure out the costs in the study. Ja doob ja ab.

As for the CPEC, what is important is to see how well the origin of the project took into account the various costs and what factors it applied in calculating feasibility of the project.

Nahin aaatiii Finance mujheee ! :cry:

But I live by the maxim 'Fake it till you make it and then if you're caught..BS your way out of it' ! :D

Nahin aaatiii Finance mujheee ! :cry:

But I live by the maxim 'Fake it till you make it and then if you're caught..BS your way out of it' ! :D
Hey Armstrong you think it'll be easier to import export cars through gwadar port?

Section 2.4 of this detailed report provides additional material on Gawadar for anyone interested in the facts:

PBER.jpg

Section 2.4 of this detailed report provides additional material on Gawadar for anyone interested in the facts:

View attachment 301544

Apologies for delayed response and thanks for sharing the more detailed document published in 2008.

I am posting two sections of the report below which show that Gwadar also offers a significant potential in context of China, which is not realizable without significant infrastructure development in rest of Pakistan.

Luckily most of the projects falling under the ambit of CPEC are going to provide this necessary infrastructure.

This aspect was not seriously considered in the forecasts due to the lack of a committed infrastructure development to realize Gwadar's potential in terms of significant Pak-China transit trade, specifically pertaining to oil and gas import.

P.S. Having said all of this, Pakistan has to get this right. The commercial viability is also our responsibility and we have to work hard to make it happen and help strengthen this mutually beneficial relationship.
I hope and pray that this is the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.80 Overall, while most discussions on the potential for Gwadar port highlight transit trade with Central Asian countries, our assessment coincides with the findings of the 50-year master plan. Demand forecasts for long-distance transit trade through Gwadar port should be cautious.
However, there is one important caveat.
China, with its vast and rapidly growing economy, may offer greater potential for transit trade (Box 2.9). Presently, China imports oil from the Middle East and transports it through a long route around its east coast. Gwadar, placed near the strategic energy traffic hub of the Straits of Homuz and in closer proximity than Iran’s rival ports, could serve as China’s energy transfer station, especially once the port has adequate road and rail linkages with the Karakoram Range in northern Pakistan. Oil and gas could be shipped from the Gulf in one day, and from Chinese oilfields in Sudan in three days to a dedicated setup of storage and refining facilities at Gwadar, and then be transported via land route to China’s Xinjiang province.

Box 2.9: Gwadar as China’s energy hub?
In 2006 during a Pakistan visit of the President to China, the two countries agreed in principle to set up a Gwadar Port Energy Zone, and a China-Pakistan Energy Corridor for the provision of oil products and gas supply from Gwadar. The specific steps outlined in the agreement included designating Gwadar as China’s port access to the waters of the Arabian sea; the setting up of a major refinery at Gwadar with 21 million tons of capacity (roughly twice Pakistan’s present total refining capacity); development of an oil tank farm with 1 million tons of storage capacity; setting up of LNG terminals and storage centers for natural gas; and improvement of road networks, such as the widening of the Karakoram Highway for the transportation of oil products by tankers. There were also discussions regarding the establishment of a Chinese Industrial Zone with significant Chinese private investments in steel, cement, and oil refining and storage. These bilateral discussions with China are at a very early stage and there are at present no concrete agreements have been reached on the specifics and the timelines involved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies for delayed response and thanks for sharing the more detailed document published in 2008.

I am posting two sections of the report below which show that Gwadar also offers a significant potential in context of China, which is not realizable without significant infrastructure development in rest of Pakistan.

Luckily most of the projects falling under the ambit of CPEC are going to provide this necessary infrastructure.

This aspect was not seriously considered in the forecasts due to the lack of a committed infrastructure development to realize Gwadar's potential in terms of significant Pak-China transit trade, specifically pertaining to oil and gas import.

P.S. Having said all of this, Pakistan has to get this right. The commercial viability is also our responsibility and we have to work hard to make it happen and help strengthen this mutually beneficial relationship.
I hope and pray that this is the case.

2.80 Overall, while most discussions on the potential for Gwadar port highlight transit trade with Central Asian countries, our assessment coincides with the findings of the 50-year master plan. Demand forecasts for long-distance transit trade through Gwadar port should be cautious.
However, there is one important caveat.
China, with its vast and rapidly growing economy, may offer greater potential for transit trade (Box 2.9). Presently, China imports oil from the Middle East and transports it through a long route around its east coast. Gwadar, placed near the strategic energy traffic hub of the Straits of Homuz and in closer proximity than Iran’s rival ports, could serve as China’s energy transfer station, especially once the port has adequate road and rail linkages with the Karakoram Range in northern Pakistan. Oil and gas could be shipped from the Gulf in one day, and from Chinese oilfields in Sudan in three days to a dedicated setup of storage and refining facilities at Gwadar, and then be transported via land route to China’s Xinjiang province.

Box 2.9: Gwadar as China’s energy hub?
In 2006 during a Pakistan visit of the President to China, the two countries agreed in principle to set up a Gwadar Port Energy Zone, and a China-Pakistan Energy Corridor for the provision of oil products and gas supply from Gwadar. The specific steps outlined in the agreement included designating Gwadar as China’s port access to the waters of the Arabian sea; the setting up of a major refinery at Gwadar with 21 million tons of capacity (roughly twice Pakistan’s present total refining capacity); development of an oil tank farm with 1 million tons of storage capacity; setting up of LNG terminals and storage centers for natural gas; and improvement of road networks, such as the widening of the Karakoram Highway for the transportation of oil products by tankers. There were also discussions regarding the establishment of a Chinese Industrial Zone with significant Chinese private investments in steel, cement, and oil refining and storage. These bilateral discussions with China are at a very early stage and there are at present no concrete agreements have been reached on the specifics and the timelines involved.

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you that Pakistan must get Gawadar right. The comments that you quoted are written very carefully indeed. Realizing the potential described is not going to be easy, that is all I will say for now. We can talk about just how much oil a rail line and road transport can carry relative to China's needs, but that is quite another discussion.

We can talk about just how much oil a rail line and road transport can carry relative to China's needs, but that is quite another discussion.

In that difficult terrain ; through such High mountains ; snow fall ; rainfall ; landslides
Laying a railway line in very difficult

Similarly it remains to be seen whether an oil pipeline can pass through such mountainous terrain
and the cost of construction and operation

A road is OK because that is the least difficult to make

Back
Top Bottom