What's new

HAL’s trainer pitted as Rs 4,500 crore cheaper than Swiss Pilatus trainer

Don't buy this for a second. By all accounts HAL had, hilariously, quoted a significantly HIGHER price than the PC-7s when bidding to secure the follow-on orders (75 BTTs have been ordered, the total requirement for IAF and IN's needs are ~250+) even after the price of the PC-7 MK.2 had been divulged.

The IAF has already publicly stated the HTT-40 has ZERO utility for them, for some unknown reason HAL are continuing to plow Indian tax-payer's money into this definition of a white elephant. Same goes for the IJT which is unlikely to ever enter IAF service in any meaningful way and moves by the IAF have proven this.

I don't trust the Indian media 9/10 times and this time is no different.

Expect news of a follow on order for 150+ PC-7 MK.2 BTTs soon.................

I don't trust the Indian media 9/10 times and this time is no different.

TOO GENEROUS.............

I don't trust Indian Media 9999999999/10000000000 times :)

When it comes to NEWS, you have to go through 3 or 4 sources atleast & not just Indian but of every country.

One of the important reason for me to be a member of this forum was b'coz of the FACT that "there are Somethings about YOU which is told by your Friends & there are SOMETHINGS about you that are told only by your ENEMIES".

I am here to get the BEST out of both ;)

well HAL should finish all the pending works first.....else it will lead to further delays

TOO GENEROUS.............

I don't trust Indian Media 9999999999/10000000000 times :)

When it comes to NEWS, you have to go through 3 or 4 sources atleast & not just Indian but of every country.

One of the important reason for me to be a member of this forum was b'coz of the FACT that "there are Somethings about YOU which is told by your Friends & there are SOMETHINGS about you that are told only by your ENEMIES".

I am here to get the BEST out of both ;)

Lol you're right. Even then sometimes it is hard to get a clear understanding of what is going on when the lazy "desi jounros" simply copy and past each others reports verbatim without following even the most basic of journalistic practices. In many cases you can 5-10 reports from entirely different publications all saying the EXACT same thing word for word.

If that first report is wrong (which it usually is) then the narrative is false and no one is any the wiser.

This has led to a dramatic three-way face-off between the MoD, HAL and the IAF. The IAF insists that it needs more Pilatus trainers immediately and is pressing the MoD to exercise the options clause in the Pilatus contract for 37 more PC-7 Mark II trainers. HAL points out that Pilatus will complete delivery of the initial order for 75 trainers only in 2015. If the HTT-40 does not fly by then the options clause can be exercised then, bringing HAL’s order down to 71 aircraft.

Although Ajay Shukla is presenting it here as an foreign procurement vs Indian prodcurement here, the isse clearly are the fear of HAL that their possible order could be reduced by 37 trainers, which again means less profit and higher unit costs for the HTT40, which might even can kill the whole deal.

...The HAL team at Aero India 2013 said that the HTT-40’s only two imported systems would be the engine and the ejection seat, which together cost Rs 6 crore...

...Top HAL sources tell Business Standard that the life cycle estimates make a fleet of 108 HTT-40’s trainers cheaper than a PC-7 Mark II fleet by Rs 4,500 crore.

When you calculate lifecycle costs, you have to also see that operating 2 different trainers, for the same basic training will increase the maintenance and logistical costs for IAF too. So the lower maintenance of the HTT40 compared to the Pilatus, might still add costs at the end!

HAL has also proposed supplying the HTT-40 to the Indian Navy, which will eventually have more than 500 aircraft, including aircraft carrier based fighters. HAL is confident that the navy will eventually set up its own training establishment, instead of training naval pilots in IAF training facilities. This would provide an additional market for the HTT-40.

This imo would be the worst decision ever and it would be a scandal to me IF HAL would even think this way (unless that was an Ajay Shukla interpretation), since it would show that they also looking at their profits only!
There is nothing that would be different for IN pilots, during their initial training compared to IAF pilots. Separating them only adds more logistical nightmare and huge costs for MoD, besides that it separates the forces even more, instead of forcing them to interoperate on basic things.

I know very well what IAF wants but i was suggesting what is logical.

When even the US uses only two platforms to train its pilots(which r actually just improved versions of PC7 n Hawks) so why the heck is IAF hell bent to use 3 platforms.

IMO 2 stage platform will save both Time n Cost in training:)

A 3 stage training is not that unusual, several European forces does this as well, the difference is only the type of aircraft chosen by IAF, because it is unusual to have a jet engined trainer as the 2nd stage, rather than an advanced tandem seat prob trainer and a side by side seat trainer to provide cadets with the basics lessons in flying.
Now IAF had merged the tandem seat config into the 1st stage, which was a reason why the NAL Hansa was not considered (although the Grob 120TP strangely was) in the competion and why you needs something more advanced than the tandem seat trainer, which then is HALs IJT. You are right though that you basically can merge the IJT and Hawk into 1 stage, but that would kill the IJT and all the development time and money we have put in it. The HTT 40 on the other side is still only in it's early development stages and a kill now wouldn't be that problematic.

Imo MoD must not bow down now, only HAL feels hurt after all the bad PR they get recently (some hyped and some made publically for the own interest of other companies), but when they look at it rationally, IAF don't need another basic trainer, only because it's Indian and it would be better for HAL to prove their worth and capability by focusing in IJT instead!

anything made by your own country is the best for your country :tup:

@sancho I've said again and again it is clear the IAF is transtioning to a 3 stage trainer program:

1) BTT (PC-7 MK.2)

2) AJT (HAWK MK.132)

3) OCU (relevant fighter trainer)

The IAF has signaled this again and again through their acqustions and statements. The HJT-36 has ZERO future in the IAF, this much is clear. The order of the PC-7 MK.2 and more HAWK AJTs has made this crystal clear, even the Surya Kiran display team that were set to receive the IJT as their replacement to their Kirans, now talks are on for 21 BAE HAWKS for the SK team.

Now it is a case of HAL peeing in the wind, trying to get the MoD to listen to its plea. The IAF won't let HAL get its way on this one, this much is clear.

I do feel though that there is a opening for a supersonic LIFT between AJT and OCU as it stand right now in the IAF's training regime. I think either the IAF goes for something like the KAI T-50 or, preferably, HAL makes modifications to the LCA MK.1 trainer so it can be used as a LIFT. This may even sooth the sentiments of HAL so could be a case of "two birds one stone".

Last edited by a moderator:
HAL had their opportunity, and they blew it by taking too long. The pilatus does the job, and the IAF doesnt need more than one type of basic trainer.

If HAL wants orders, it should build equipment that meets requirements in a timely manner. Pilatus is the way to go. Time for HAL to learn that it cant hold the IAF hostage to its incompetence and inefficiencies.

@sancho I've said again and again it is clear the IAF is transtioning to a 3 stage trainer program:

1) BTT (PC-7 MK.2)

2) AJT (HAWK MK.132)

3) OCU (relevant fighter trainer)

The IAF has signaled this again and again through their acqustions and statements. The HJT-36 has ZERO future in the IAF, this much is clear. The order of the PC-7 MK.2 and more HAWK AJTs has made this crystal clear, even the Surya Kiran display team that were set to receive the IJT as their replacement to their Kirans, now talks are on for 21 BAE HAWKS for the SK team.

Now it is a case of HAL peeing in the wind, trying to get the MoD to listen to its plea. The IAF won't let HAL get its way on this one, this much is clear.

I do feel though that there is a opening for a supersonic LIFT between AJT and OCU as it stand right now in the IAF's training regime. I think either the IAF goes for something like the KAI T-50 or, preferably, HAL makes modifications to the LCA MK.1 trainer so it can be used as a LIFT. This may even sooth the sentiments of HAL so could be a case of "two birds one stone".

I thought we r already using Hawks for LIFT role @sancho can u plz shed some light here???:undecided:

I thought we r already using Hawks for LIFT role @sancho can u plz shed some light here???:undecided:

No, the LCA won't be used in the LIFT role. As it stands only fighter pilots set to enter a LCA fighter SQD will go through a LCA OCU where they train on the LCA trainer.

What,specifically, I am proposing is making a supersonic LIFT trainer stage mandatory to ALL IAF fighter pilots' training curriculum ie transitioning to a 4 stage training program from the current 3 stage so it would look like:

1) BTT (PC-7 MK.2)

2) AJT (HAWK MK.132)

3) Supersonic LIFT (LCA/KAI T-50)

4) OCU (relevant fighter trainer)

Strictly speaking the supersonic LIFT isn't 100% nessercary but to make the entire training process foolproof adding a supersonic LIFT would be nessercary.

BAE market the HAWK as a LIFT as it is but what it lacks is the ability to go supersonic and as it is a rookie pilot will go from stage 2 (HAWK AJT) to a OCU and (discounting the Jags and 27s) this will require them to go supersonic for the first time in a full-blown fighter a/c.

No, the LCA won't be used in the LIFT role. As it stands only fighter pilots set to enter a LCA fighter SQD will go through a LCA OCU where they train on the LCA trainer.

What,specifically, I am proposing is making a supersonic LIFT trainer stage mandatory to ALL IAF fighter pilots' training curriculum ie transitioning to a 4 stage training program from the current 3 stage so it would look like:

1) BTT (PC-7 MK.2)

2) AJT (HAWK MK.132)

3) Supersonic LIFT (LCA/KAI T-50)

4) OCU (relevant fighter trainer)

Strictly speaking the supersonic LIFT isn't 100% nessercary but to make the entire training process foolproof adding a supersonic LIFT would be nessercary.

BAE market the HAWK as a LIFT as it is but what it lacks is the ability to go supersonic and as it is a rookie pilot will go from stage 2 (HAWK AJT) to a OCU and (discounting the Jags and 27s) this will require them to go supersonic for the first time in a full-blown fighter a/c.

Hawks can go supersonic in dive mode.

LCA is better than KAI 50 so why should we go for KAI 50 we r not in some dire need to go for some supersonic LIFT operations.

If IAF really wants to add a 4th stage it should use LCA only IMO...

Btw Hawks touches 1.15-1.2 Mach in dive n reach 0.88 Mach while regular flight, so IMO going for a trainer Specially for LIFT doesn't make much sense when already got Hawks in good no. :)

Hawks can go supersonic in dive mode.

LCA is better than KAI 50 so why should we go for KAI 50 we r not in some dire need to go for some supersonic LIFT operations.

If IAF really wants to add a 4th stage it should use LCA only IMO...

Going supersonic for short periods of time and that too only in dives is of little utility when training a rookie pilot for flying supersonic for prolonged periods of time.

And yes I agree, with very little modification the LCA can be developed into a full-blown LIFT that too as the LCA already has a trainer variant. I was just giving the example of the KAI T-50 a as fully developed LIFT in service. Not advocating the IAF get this over the LCA LIFT. In fact it would be excellent if the IAF ordered the LCA in this capacity. This would be a 60-80 order in the bag on top of all other orders.

The order of the PC-7 MK.2 and more HAWK AJTs has made this crystal clear, even the Surya Kiran display team that were set to receive the IJT as their replacement to their Kirans, now talks are on for 21 BAE HAWKS for the SK team.

I don't see a relation between these examples and IJT, since the current PC-7 and Hawk orders are based in the urgent requirement of training aircrafts and even the replacement of the Kirans with Hawks has to do with the fact that it would get more and more dangerous if we keep them operational until the IJT might be available. Personally I would have never chosen the IJT at this point for air shows anyway, since it's a new and unproven aircraft, unlike the Hawk. Safty for the pilots and the visitors of the air shows should go before pride of an indigenous aircraft right?

And I highly doubt about another trainer above the Hawks, especially not LCA since the aim was to develop a fighter, not only an advanced trainer.

Back
Top Bottom