What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

Check the probe of Mirage 2k.

LCA was earlier tested with a starboard probe. Later it was moved to the front. I agree it's a weird look, but it's one of the reasons why it's a pleasure to refuel this aircraft in air. As for visual obstruction, it's exaggerated. Viewing from top, you'll realise that the pilot sits further back than you'd expect from most photos.
Yeah, its almost the same position. They designers might have carried over the whole refuelling system internal piping layout from the Mirage 2000 with minor modifications to save time. The probe itself might have been outsourced to the same french supplier as well!

Yeah, its almost the same position. They designers might have carried over the whole refuelling system internal piping layout from the Mirage 2000 with minor modifications to save time.
No - i suspect that. we never had internal layout of M2000. It was not a ToT deal. French jets are pretty much closed for us. The recent upgrade that was performed was more for avionics rather than anything else.
With regards to it being an eye sore ! No its not. After a couple of flights - its as if it doesnt exist. Pilot gets used to it.
The probe itself might have been outsourced to the same french supplier as well!
Its from Cobham. Its UK based.

No - i suspect that. we never had internal layout of M2000. It was not a ToT deal. French jets are pretty much closed for us. The recent upgrade that was performed was more for avionics rather than anything else.
With regards to it being an eye sore ! No its not. After a couple of flights - its as if it doesnt exist. Pilot gets used to it.

Its from Cobham. Its UK based.
What does SP-21 means???

Serial Production ##
That's odd because if an aircraft hasn't achieved FOC status, why it is being numbered as SP. Serial Production begins when design is frozen from both hardware and software point of view.

That's odd because if an aircraft hasn't achieved FOC status, why it is being numbered as SP. Serial Production begins when design is frozen from both hardware and software point of view.
That is not what FOC means and it is not black and white. USAF F35 are yet to achieve FOC. F35 of other countries soon to be delivered may take until 2040 to get FOC.

Some countries, out of desperation, don't bother to make such distinctions.

That is not what FOC means and it is not black and white. USAF F35 are yet to achieve FOC. F35 of other countries soon to be delivered may take until 2040 to get FOC.

Some countries, out of desperation, don't bother to make such distinctions.
What is FOC???
@dbc

Last edited:
What is FOC???
FOC considers everything including the logistics. This is why Tejas FOC was declared last year. It is not to do with this exact SP21 that flew today. We call it FOC config because of the few modifications, but IOC config can do everything this one can, except aerial refuelling.

Certain manoeuvres are pulled by the old LSP aircrafts, which newer IOC aircrafts don't. These are mostly because of formalities and the restrictions enforced by the air force on the inducted airframes. FOC removes these restrictions and expands the envelopes. SP21 reportedly pulled 8G in its maiden flight.

So in LCA's case, it's a combination of slight modifications, logistics, and officially certifying certain envelopes.

Check the probe of Mirage 2k.

LCA was earlier tested with a starboard probe. Later it was moved to the front. I agree it's a weird look, but it's one of the reasons why it's a pleasure to refuel this aircraft in air. As for visual obstruction, it's exaggerated. Viewing from top, you'll realise that the pilot sits further back than you'd expect from most photos.
I was talking about the looks....
I checked the probe of M2K rather you should check the probe of F-18 F-16 J-10
EFT JFT Gripen and F-35....Looks much better.

I don't like the look of the probe either. But I'm sure it's the best possible position and shape.

ETUonXKUMAc3hGs.jpeg

ETUomhKUEAAQ32t.jpeg
ETUonAmUcAEP3GA.jpeg

What is FOC???
@dbc

Hardwares were frozen a long back except few additions. . Foc was about few additions in hardware and update in software which hold back FOC. Why SP 21 took some time to flew was because of software updates. These software includes recovering aircraft from low speed when it goes bellow 100 NM, recovering aircraft when pilot loose control of aircraft in case of high "g" turn.

Thats an extremely simple take on the matter. A/C goes through IOC and then FOC. Between IOC and FOC - most of the Hardware is frozen (atleast theoretically); In LCA's case all the LRU's , wiring, Cockpit, A/C assembly is frozen. Software changes are never frozen ! Especially if you are the maker of the aircraft. In this case - software upgrades required to expand operational envelope, addition of new munitions/missiles and other items.

From that perspective - IOC fighters will also be SP - since they can easily upgraded to FOC standard during MLU. Check out your JF17 history - it underwent a similar process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom