What's new

Hilsa export to India: Bangladesh earned $13.6m this year so far

Thank you.

I know I cannot be trained in cooking skills.

My cooking is adequate for myself and fantastic for my kitty and birdies. If you do not believe me on that, PM me and I PM you back and let you read and you decide if any kitty or birdie can eat better than mine.

I was in HongKong, and this lady there prepared the most wonderful of chicken soup. So much so that me and my wife went to her place, and under her exact instructions with her at my elbow, I prepared chicken soup to my delight and her satisfaction.

Every step of the way noted down.

And tried back at home in Hong Kong.

And the chicken soup , why adequate, not something I can proudly invite friends to try.

When I was living in Taiwan, there was this lady with 2 daughters helping her in her hole in the wall stall.

That lady can deliver the most amazing harma (clam) soup that will make my knees melt with delight.

Her daughters who watched every step and use the same ingredients , and the same saucepan, and the same fire never could duplicate the soup of the mother.

Obviously the mother did not hide anything from her 2 daughters, who never managed to duplicate their mom.

Without fail, I could tell who prepared the soup, the mother or the first or 2nd daughter.

Recipe is point A and point B and point C etc etc giving the intermediate point

But between Point A and Point B, many other aspects. Maybe secret mantra that must be voiced silently and with concentration that they never divulged to me

I know brother, there is magic in some cook's estimation and hands, that no one can duplicate. :-)

Cooking is tough job sometimes, for special recipes. So many variables, temperature, timing, type of ingredient.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

I myself am just happy to eat what others lovingly prepare for me.

Boiling eggs is as far as my own skills go. :-)

I know brother, there is magic in some cook's estimation and hands, that no one can duplicate. :-)

Cooking is tough job sometimes, for special recipes. So many variables, temperature, timing, type of ingredient.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

I myself am just happy to eat what others lovingly prepare for me.

Boiling eggs is as far as my own skills go. :-)
649866c55b15d6baa7e98026196a7abb.gif

Actually, Bd malnutrition is despite fish eating not because of it. You can blame malnutrition on excessive carb consumption due to lack of affordable alternatives.
Besides deep sea fishing, we also do need to invest a lot more in dairy and meat production at scale.
Malnutrition cannot be avoided just by eating fish or meats a few times a year. A healthy diet throughout a person’ life is what is needed. A child does not grow tall by eating rice three times a day. Protein and milk foods are needed from the very childhood.

BD lacks quality foods. Milk and milk products are non-existent. Very seldom normal people have access to them and meat/ fish. This is why children are short in height.

Northern India and Pakistan have all the ingredients to get tall. Pakistani people drink too much milk since childhood. Milk is a luxury item in BD.

Malnutrition cannot be avoided just by eating fish or meats a few times a year. A healthy diet throughout a person’ life is what is needed. A child does not grow tall by eating rice three times a day. Protein and milk foods are needed from the very childhood.

BD lacks quality foods. Milk and milk products are non-existent. Very seldom normal people have access to them and meat/ fish. This is why children are short in height.

Northern India and Pakistan have all the ingredients to get tall. Pakistani people drink too much milk since childhood. Milk is a luxury item in BD.
Agreed hence I keep pushing for growing local dairy and meat industries.

Protein and milk foods are needed from the very childhood.
@Destrantor, please note what I write here.

I have seen Japanese mothers feed fish to even their baby children at a period when they drink breast milk and have no teeth to chew. A mother would chew the fish or meat in her own mouth to soften it and would feed it to the child with soft-boiled rice (জাউভাত/ ফেনাভাত)

It starts probably when the child is three months old.

In BD, the new mothers or old mothers do not know this method and they think it is improper for a baby. Proper education in schools is needed to make awareness of the importance of feeding a baby protein foods. Otherwise, our people will remain stunted.

Corrections: Japanese mothers start feeding their babies solid but soft foods when they are over 6 months. I wrote 3 months, a mistake.

I do not know what the school curriculums in BD say, but I could not push this idea of feeding this way with the young wife of my cousin. She gave birth to a baby girl. She objected quite strongly. So, I did not try to persuade her on the matter.

Last edited:
We need to take off our lenses of wealth and privilege, where we are picky eaters, and think of the poor who often survive on just rice and lentil. They will appreciate a cheap and tasty source of healthy protein.

FB_IMG_1666542395241.jpg

Many well-off Bangladeshis have no clue how acute the nutritional crisis is in Bangladesh.

Commercial seafood, meat and dairy revolutions are long, long overdue in this country.

@Bilal9 @bluesky @BananaRepublicUK @mb444

Last edited:
View attachment 888767

Many well-off Bangladeshis have no clue how acute the nutritional crisis is in Bangladesh.

Commercial seafood, meat and dairy revolutions are long, long overdue in this country.

You make an excellent point. Very rarely are there any reports of what is happening to the people.

For all the improvements in generating greater amount of food in every sector are these within the reach of the lower strata of BDs.

I suspect the growing middle class is disproportionately benefiting from all these improvements.

But that still leaves probably 50% of the population out of the equation. Stunting in kids particularly in rural areas remains a massive problem. NGO can not fill the gap, BD school feeding programme is making a dent but the issue remains.

BD food subsidy must remain and be more targeted.

Additionally we need to increase our yeild in the food sector that remains low compared to global standard. I also suspect logistics remains an issue, all produce heads to the cities. Government and private sector needs to spread the goods around the country more efficiently.

View attachment 888767

This sort of scene really makes me sad and guilty.

Though honestly I don't remember stealing any Mehnati/Gareebon-ka-haque. I'd say the same for my family.

I have always treated household help and any destitute/poor around me with the utmost of dignity, which is the least we can do.

Back
Top Bottom