What's new

How do Pakistanis and Indians Perceive Each Other?

I do not know whether you guys too buy into the senseless paranoid vilification of Hindutva like the loonies in India. Or what you understand of it.

Hindutva very simply holds sacred that we are all of this soil and civilization regardless of what faith we currently profess.

It is a benevolent inclusive philosophy of cultural oneness. Of blood and soil. What can anyone reasonably have against such a large hearted philosophy?

Lmaooo, @LeGenD @lastofthepatriots take a look at this bharati lmao

The ideology of Hindutvadis is to create a hindu rashtra within India, turning muslims and people of other religions into second class citizens at most.

Their ideology has already spread abroad, leading to clashes amongst muslim communities abroad. (Where they got their teeth kicked in, may I add)

And although it focuses on cultural hegemony, it can be greatly likened to fascism and ethnic absolutism.
This is why it is classed as extremism, and is the same reasons why a lot of people hate it too.

Lmaooo, @LeGenD @lastofthepatriots take a look at this bharati lmao

The ideology of Hindutvadis is to create a hindu rashtra within India, turning muslims and people of other religions into second class citizens at most.

Their ideology has already spread abroad, leading to clashes amongst muslim communities abroad. (Where they got their teeth kicked in, may I add)

And although it focuses on cultural hegemony, it can be greatly likened to fascism and ethnic absolutism.
This is why it is classed as extremism, and is the same reasons why a lot of people hate it too.

Yeah... the speeches about impaling pregnant Muslim women and raping young Muslim women really sets the tone... :lol:

Indians can't tolerate Pakistani one bit
where
Pakistani are willing to talk on the negotiation table
thats the difference.

To an extent, it is a good thing that Pakistan maintain their hostilities towards india, because the bhartis will eventually pursue their maniacal dream of the Akhand Bharat, which involves the capture of the Pakistani state.
Yeah, it's quite naive to remain oblivious about an entire nation harbouring hatred towards your people. It's good to be aware for various reasons, and obviously you won't have positive perceptions about people like that.

Previously my perception was
Just remove politics and the citizens if both countries have no beef with each other.
I think initially it was like this, it was more political disagreements and person-to-person relationships weren't sour.

But Indian politics created hatred in the average person outside of politics, for certain religions and nationalities, after that it was not only political but also personal.

It is a benevolent inclusive philosophy of cultural oneness. Of blood and soil. What can anyone reasonably have against such a large hearted philosophy?
I am afraid its more than that cause Pakistanis are way more intact with our culture, and way of life anywhere we go in the world, the concept of son soil in our society is big, which basically means love for the land as your ancestors are part of the land you live now

If it indeed was just culture, and love for land then we are in it more than anyone else and don't need a new ideology as it is who we are

But Hindutva is not about that its, its just hatred for the Muslims, their way of life, as an ideology (before someone brings Pakistan into the convo, yes I am not saying we are a f-ing land of kumbah-ya, pretty obvious)

Last edited:
Grew up amongst indians both hindus and Muslims in UK. Never had any threat or intimidation by Hindus. However the Indian muslims of the 90s despised the creation of Pakistan and it's people. They hated Pakistan from the core of their hearts.
However overtime some attitudes have changed. The elderly population still has great deal of prejudices agaisnt Pakistanis.

I was reading through this interesting book about how Pakistanis and Indians have come to perceive each other and their countries over the years, I felt like sharing some interesting excerpts I came across.

"One of my colleagues, Mariam, a twenty-two-year-old graduate from the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), told me she had hated India. She had hated it so much that when her father was posted to Delhi as a defence attaché, she had told him, ‘Abba, take us anywhere else in the world, why does it have to be India?’ For months, she and her sisters dwelled in this misery. Her younger sister, Maham, would cry her eyes out every night. She would say, ‘Hum India kyun ja rahe hain? Udhar tou sarey kafir hotey hain . . . woh tou achey nai hotey.’ (Why are we going to India? Only infidels live there. They aren’t good people.) Maham was of a tender age of five."

"Another student I worked with in a school had started crying hysterically when I passed around a picture of a Hindu deity; she was in Class 6, studying in an upper-middle-class school in Lahore that I worked in. When I asked her what happened, she told me her eyes had sinned; that she would now go to hell because of what she had seen."

"Later that year, when I took a few students with me to India for CAP’s Exchange-for-Change programme, one of the Indian schools had received us with garlands and music. The principal had moved forward to place a tika on our foreheads. Three of the Pakistani students had begun to cry; they turned and asked me if this meant they had become Hindu. They said they had heard Hindus would forcibly convert Muslims to their religion; was this their fate too?"

"This time, my question regarding what was special about India was received with pin-drop silence. Then a few children at the back started to snicker. A small girl nervously raised her hand and in a meek voice asked, ‘Shahrukh Khan?’ The others began to roll from side to side with laughter. ‘He’s a Pakistani, stupid! He’s Muslim. Muslims can’t be Indian,’ said one child. Another overconfident student got up from the middle row and declared, ‘India has nothing! They will all go to hell!’

" Adnan, a ten-year-old student of seventh standard, was sitting amongst these children, armed with his own jokes to crack. ‘Indians don’t cut their hair, Ma’am,’ ‘They are dirty people,’ ‘They are cheaters; that’s how they won the cricket match!’ Though not every child participated in the mockery and many perhaps only did so due to peer pressure, for several initial weeks that I returned to the school, I was received with the same sarcastic expressions, crude comments and empty-handed students. Many of the students told me they hated Indians, that they didn’t want to write them any letters. No one in the room had ever been to India and the majority of the students had never met an Indian either. However, the hatred they expressed seemed almost personal, and incredibly powerful."

"These students have been nurtured in a Pakistan that has fought several wars with India; some whose fathers were in the Pakistan Army would have felt the direct impact of the rivalry across the border. They have also heard about Indian soldiers committing atrocities at the LoC, of harassing Muslims in Indian Kashmir. They have been told, just as I was, that India took away not only Kashmir but also East Pakistan. Many recent conspiracy theories state that India is behind the terror attacks in Pakistan, that they are funding terrorist outfits so that Pakistan becomes unstable and eventually collapses under its own weight. These theories are becoming increasingly popular, so much so that auto-rickshaws across Lahore publicly carry signs that read, se rishta kya? Nafrat ka, intikam is our relationship with India, but that of hatred and revenge.) Perhaps it was this relationship that the students were emulating and displaying in their classrooms, too. In fact, it wasn’t just the students; school administrators and teachers also showed similar, though more subdued, sentiments."

"I had toured many schools across Lahore before finding three to work with. Most schools wanted to have nothing to do with an exchange programme that was with India and we had received many rejections. The tagline of the project—‘to celebrate similarities and appreciate differences’ between India and Pakistan—angered most people. A head administrator of one of the largest upper-middle-class private school networks in Pakistan told me that by suggesting such a programme, I was challenging the Two-Nation Theory. Why would we want children to explore the similarities between the two nations when there was nothing similar in the first place? After all, that was why Pakistan had been created, because we were two separate nations that could no longer live together. She told me the project was a waste of time and I should instead initiate it with China. When I told her the cultures of China and Pakistan were very different, she told me I didn’t realize how different those treacherous Indians were from the pure and innocent Pakistanis, and then politely asked me to leave."

"Over time and under the fear of their principal, the students began to jot down their thoughts and ideas. Messages started to pour in and while several brilliant letters and poems were composed, giving us a breath of relief, others were tarnished with disgust and scornful remarks. ‘India is the worst country on earth,’ ‘We hope you die,’ ‘We will never come to India!’

Are we really this hateful, ignorant, and intolerant? Pakistanis would have you believe that we actually "love" India and that it's the evil and hateful Indians that hate us for no reason. That it is just a false perception of us and propaganda. Reading through this book, it seems we are as hateful and ignorant vis a vis our neighbors if not more. I could also share some excerpts from the book about how the Indian students perceived the Pakistanis and what they said.

Hi,

Thank you for an excellent thread.

Some of my teen years I spent in interior sindh----. Had a few hindu friends---. This is early 70's. No qualms.

Went to Sadh Bella with my dad saw the hindu deities---no issues---went to lahore museum when I was 7 years old---saw hindu idols---had no issues with them.

Why---came from a very educated family---both grand fathers had spent time in pre partition india---both went to school at AliGarh at one time---FCC at another time---even though they were land owners from interior punjab---my aunts and older female cousins who wanted to go to college and stayed at the dorms---early 60's---a few western colleagues of my uncle to visit the family home in late 60's early 70's---there was no concept of napaki un-cleanliness at all.

Basically it all comes down to education---what the parenst want to teach---what the schools want to teach---.

The best thing my generation had in middle school were CIVIC classes---how to be a good citizen---a good human being.

I feel terrible for the current generation---no morals---nothing being taught of respect for other faiths & acceptance---so very sad.

Last edited:
It's not my problem that you take criticism of Pakistan and its society so personally.
it is important for me to call you out for being selective and misleading information.
if there was any truth about genocidal view towards Indians then there wont have been any Kartarpur corridor and no regular Sikh pilgrims coming to Pakistan.

check out Pakistani mainstream media and social media including YouTube , facebook and twitter. India and Indians are not the main topic of discussion.
our celebrities, our politicians and our journalists hardly talk about India in a negative way and only mention it to praise its political stability and democracy.
it is the same case with ordinary Pakistanis. any negative option regarding India is its government's policies towards Kashmir and Indian Muslims.

this forum is an exception though where Indian members also dont hold back any punches like their Pakistani cousins.

Brother with all due respect no one cares. Since their beloved Pope Modi came many of those you come across are just hate filled wretches. For heaven's sake they hate their own Muslims!
Years ago times were better, but that has long since gone.
This isn't unexpected either as we know they were always going to get worse not better.
Just worry about our own people.
exactly my view towards Indians is indifference. what they do to their country is their business. individually home or abroad any physical interaction of Pakistani and Indian civilians is generally cordial and civil.

Hi,

Thank you for an excellent thread.

Some of my teen years I spent in interior sindh----. Had a few hindu friends---. This is early 70's. No qualms.

Went to Sadh Bella with my dad saw the hindu deities---no issues---went to lahore museum when I was 7 years old---saw hindu idols---had no issues with them.

Why---came from a very educated family---both grand fathers had spent time in pre partition india---both went to school at AliGarh at one time---FCC at another time---even though they were land owners from interior punjab---my aunts and older female cousins who wanted to go to college and stayed at the dorms---early 60's---a few western colleagues of my uncle to visit the family home in late 60's early 70's---there was no concept of napaki un-cleanliness at all.

Basically it all comes down to education---what the parenst want to teach---what the schools want to teach---.

The best thing my generation had in middle school were CIVIC classes---how to be a good citizen---a good human being.

A feel terrible for the current generation---no morals---nothing being taught of respect for other faiths & acceptance---so very sad.
I am personally indebted to a my Hindu Doctor. he is by far the best doctor , a gentleman and mentor I have come across in my life. he has long retired and I pray for his good health.
Hindus in my opinion, are as good or as bad as any other person of whatever faith there is.

Last edited:
It still doesn't justify all the Pakistanis who took pride in and rejoiced the attack (and a lot did!). They did it because they are brainwashed religious bigots, has nothing to do with Kashmiris.
Suit yourself - doesn’t justify hate from India either.. can call them brianwashed religious bigots as well. Religious bigotry is an enabler not the root cause.

Any official curriculum book that says the same about non muslims in Pakistan? Pls share if you have the book/excerpt.
Not kaffirs need to be eliminated but some of your text books are peppered with Anti-hindu religiophobia.
These are your own people reading it out...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom