What's new

How Indian Troops Became the Backbone of the British Empire

who's ships , marathas or mughals?

tbh if they didnt get invaded by british today india would be very very powerfull , especially lets say if india , pakistan and bangladesh was together , because even in the game after i invaded parts of india , i created trade routes that give alot of income and there is many things in india tradeable and this is very close to real life as i read

1613-14: British East India Company sets up trading post at Surat.

1615-18: Mughals grant Britain right to trade and establish factories in exchange for English navy's protection of the Mughal Empire, which faces Portuguese sea power.

so then after mughal granted britian parts what happened to them after?

Battles
1702 - Seizes small vessel in Cochin with six Englishmen.
1706 - Attacks and defeats the Siddi of Janjira.
1710 - Captures the Kennery (now Khanderi) islands near Mumbai after fighting the British vessel Godolphin for two days.
1712 - Captured the yacht of the British President of Mumbai, Mr. Aislabie, releasing it only after obtaining a hefty ransom of Rs. 30,000 [1].

Kanhoji Angre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1713 - Ten forts ceded to Angre by British.
1717 - British ships bombard Kennery island and Angre signs treaty with Company paying Rs. 60,000.
1718 - Blockaded Mumbai port and extracted ransom.
1720 - British attack Vijaydurg (Gheriah), unsuccessfully.
1721 - British and Portuguese jointly attack Alibagh, but are defeated.
1723 - Angre attacks two British vessels, Eagle and Hunter.

so then after mughal granted britian parts what happened to them after?

1627-80: Life of Sivaji, valiant general and tolerant founder of Hindu Maratha Empire (1674-1818). Emancipates large areas confiscated by Muslims, returning them to Hindu control. First Indian ruler to build a major naval force.

1630: Over the next two years, millions starve to death as Shah Jahan (1592-1666), fifth Mughal Emperor, empties the royal treasury to buy jewels for his "Peacock Throne."

1647: Shah Jahan completes Taj Mahal in Agra beside Yamuna River. Its construction has taken 20,000 laborers 15 years, at a total cost equivalence of US$25 million.

ca 1650: Robert de Nobili (1577-1656), Portuguese Jesuit missionary noted for fervor and intolerance, arrives in Madurai, declares himself a brahmin, dresses like a Hindu monk and composes Veda-like scripture extolling Jesus.

1658: Zealous Muslim Aurangzeb (1618-1707) becomes Mughal Emperor. His discriminatory policies toward Hindus, Marathas and the Deccan kingdoms contribute to the dissolution of the Mughal Empire by 1750.

Some locals sold their soul to the devil! It's as simple as that in my view!

it was not like that. they worked for money for their family, in return of their fighting capability, it was same like Gorakhas. they knew that Britain already had control over India, but ricking their lives while fighting in different parts of world could at least help their families have good life, even if they die :cry:

also there was a political support they got from Mr Gandhi, that is, Mr Gandhi was promised that his support to Britain for WW2 may help India get freedom just after WW2. even if Mr Gandhi was moraly with Netaji SC Bose who was visiting Germany for help, he also gave his support to Indian troops for fighting for Britain, which could help him earn enough political ground for freedom of India from Britain. otherwise he himself just boycotted british goods, laws etc :agree:

tbh if they didnt get invaded by british today india would be very very powerfull , especially lets say if india , pakistan and bangladesh was together , because even in the game after i invaded parts of india , i created trade routes that give alot of income and there is many things in india tradeable and this is very close to real life as i read

Marathas were ruling India at the time British fought their biggest war in India in 1818/19. and defeat in that war gave Britain control over India. Marathas had won over 80% India from Mughal but they couldn't win over British in 1818/19, who first made friendship and then they measured every strength of India and then they attacked while full estimate of strength of Marathas......

Marathas did friendship with those snakes, the British, who finally attacked on India........

British were good in creating a discilplined force, and the soldiers they recruited were good and disciplined.
In so many battles they were smaller in numbers but held their ground and became victorious.

I dont understand selling your soul bit, british were like any other kings why would anybody have any special preference for mughal of maratha kings? (from a soldier's point of view)

even if british gave money , how can you sell your country for money , that is like your honour going , money is nothing without honour , i would always fight for people who have more things common with me , it could be race , religion , colour i dno something.

Stop trying to sugar coat the fact that some locals sold their soul to the devil!
Why do you think british were devil? Simply because they came from a place you are not from?
How is maratha capturing north India or mughal capturing India any different?
India was not a country then, a place of feuding kings, and british were just and addition to it.

even if british gave money , how can you sell your country for money , that is like your honour going , money is nothing without honour , i would always fight for people who have more things common with me , it could be race , religion , colour i dno something.
I am sure ottoman empire soldiers did not consist of only turks. What would you say to those who faught for you? Sold their soul to you?

People who faught on behalf of their king/queen/leader do not bother about race, religion, color either, they faught because they were recruited to fight.

There wouldn't have been any India if british had not conquered it. There would have been many small countries namely Oudh, Bihar , Bengal , Assam , Rajpootana , Punjab ,Sindh etc inside India and not just 3 as of now. The concept of united India gained impetus only during british rule.

Why do you think british were devil? Simply because they came from a place you are not from?
How is maratha capturing north India or mughal capturing India any different?
India was not a country then, a place of feuding kings, and british were just and addition to it.

I am sure ottoman empire soldiers did not consist of only turks. What would you say to those who faught for you? Sold their soul to you?

People who faught on behalf of their king/queen/leader do not bother about race, religion, color either, they faught because they were recruited to fight.

British looted India but the same was not done by Marathas and Mughals. British sent to Britain, whatever they got in India while Marathas and Mughals were Indians who kept the Indian wealth inside India. British used to conduct different exams and took the best of indian talents to develop techs for britain, run british industries and sell those products in India itself which made a flow of indian wealth to Britain. and hence, India which was the largest economy of the world by end of 1700s and second largest in 1818, became one of the poorest country of the world by 1947, at the time of freedom....

i made a comparison betwene British and Indian economy in between 1818 to 1947, read it as below:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/genera...w-british-destroyed-india-14.html#post3119903

There wouldn't have been any India if british had not conquered it. There would have been many small countries namely Oudh, Bihar , Bengal , Assam , Rajpootana , Punjab ,Sindh etc inside India and not just 3 as of now. The concept of united India gained impetus only during british rule.

thats again rubbish, as 80% of India was controlled by Marathas in 1818 when British won over them by first doing friendship and then attacking India on their back. and the same was true in case of many other countries and they all democratized in mid 20th century, or are still communist. dont argue that British united India...........

250px-India-1760-map.jpg

Marathas remained the preeminent power in India until their defeat in the Second and Third Anglo-Maratha Wars (1805–1818), which left Britain in control of most of India.

List of regions by past GDP (PPP) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

British looted India but the same was not done by Marathas and Mughals. British sent to Britain, whatever they got in India while Marathas and Mughals were Indians who kept the Indian wealth inside India. British used to conduct different exams and took the best of indian talents to develop techs for britain, run british industries and sell those products in India itself which made a flow of indian wealth to Britain. and hence, India which was the largest economy of the world by end of 1700s and second largest in 1818, became one of the poorest country of the world by 1947, at the time of freedom....

i made a comparison betwene British and Indian economy in between 1818 to 1947, read it as below:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/genera...w-british-destroyed-india-14.html#post3119903

At least one moghul was a religious bigot, that does not rate high in popularity in India.
Some of the marathas were looters and thugs, not everybody was happy with marathas.

There was no India then, so if marathas steal from northern areas, it will still be stealing.
British treated locals well, made pact with local kings and faught well. Which is why they were winner.
Also their justice system was much better than those provided by local kings and queens.

Fighting for british is no way different from fighting for maratha/mughal or 100 other kings from a soldier's point of view.

thats again rubbish, as 80% of India was controlled by Marathas in 1818 when British won over them by first doing friendship and then attacking India on their back. and the same was true in case of many other countries and they all democratized in mid 20th century, or are still communist. dont argue that British united India...........

250px-India-1760-map.jpg

Marathas remained the preeminent power in India until their defeat in the Second and Third Anglo-Maratha Wars (1805–1818), which left Britain in control of most of India.

List of regions by past GDP (PPP) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Marathas were fighting among themselves all the time, I am not really sure they would have lasted very long.
And no, they were not welcome everywhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom