What's new

How Tamil Nadu uses a World Bank funded IT-based model for road maintenance

medulla

BANNED
Reaction score
How Tamil Nadu uses a World Bank funded IT-based model for road maintenance - The Economic Times

CHENNAI: Drive long enough on any state highway or district road in India and you are likely to find the road good, fairly good, bad and very bad - in patches. Invariably , the stretches that need repair do not get it on time while a select few corridors are better maintained. But one state has sought to change this by developing an IT-based model that could transform the way roads are maintained in the country.

Implemented under a recently concluded World Bank-assisted project, the Road Management System (RMS) developed by Tamil Nadu set itself a simple goal. Given its limited funds for road maintenance, the state highways department wanted a set of objective criteria to decide which roads to repair on priority.

However, as project director P Umanath put it, being objective about upkeep of the state's roads is not easy. "Our system has to show it is objective and transparent in identifying roads that need repairs most urgently," he says.

The system consists of creating a database on the condition of each road through specialized data-collection vehicles whose movements are plotted through a geographical information system (GIS).

This is supplemented with surveys on the volume of traffic on each stretch. Based on these two sets of data, a software displays the state of each road (on a six-category scale from 'very good' to 'very bad' ). This determines which roads need repairs - and of what type - in a given time, in accordance with the available budget.

The data-collecting vehicles , called Romdas (Road Measurement Data Acquisition System), have devices to measure road roughness, bumps, cracks and potholes. They also have video cameras to visually capture a stretch. The state initially acquired two Romdas vehicles . Later, two yet more advanced vehicles were procured with laser crack measurement systems.

"RMS is not only about maintaining roads. The data has also helped us widen some stretches and make some design changes," said G Kumar, deputy project director of the Rs 2,442 crore Tamil Nadu Road Sector Project , under which RMS was implemented.

The department claims that better road management has helped cut travel time on two corridors, Nagapattinam-Tuticurin and Nagapattinam-Arcot , by as much as 40%. The project currently includes 18,500km of state highways and district roads.

Experts say elements that make up RMS are tried and tested methods of scientific road management. The system , however, is yet to pass a crucial test. The department will soon conduct a road user satisfaction survey.

I would love to see some good results from this project. :)

Tamilnadu is on right track , I hope this methodology will be implemented throughout the India shortly.

Chennai is down-right dirty.. only good roads are the main roads.. You slip inside the city and you can see it is littered with garbage everywhere.. The road to my office which is quite a landmark on OMR is cleaned once in 3 months and one poth-hole needs more than a month to repair.. same with any other road in my area.

Both are potent growth engines of India but still GJ is ahead in every field so I favors GJ model and Modi , yeah I from Tamilnadu.

agreed. GJ can be an industrial hub and TN as software and service engine. hope they get well in the slowdown.

Indians need get rid of some jingoism and corruption in central level. As such, your monetary policy is a disaster.

Indians need get rid of some jingoism and corruption in central level. As such, your monetary policy is a disaster.
The major corruption in India is at the grass-roots where common man interacts with govt. state specially..

It would be interesting to follow this project. For all it's short comings Chennai does have some of the better maintained roads when compared to other cities and this can only make it better. Something like this would definitely come in handy in cities like Bangalore and Pune.
Also I wonder if this system could track stretches of roads which get damaged frequently and the contractors involved!

This is really good project!
In Sri Lanka we use these survey vehicles to collect data on highways to maintain those roads but not seen in countryside roads. May be maintaining cost is higher.

agreed. GJ can be an industrial hub and TN as software and service engine. hope they get well in the slowdown.

TN is a Detroit of India so its also industrial hub. Recently two Japanese companies approached TN and Gujarat to start their business in any one the state. First they came to TN and talked to our CM ,she promised to take decision within week time in favor , next they approached MODI within 3 days he negotiated successfully and made them to signed that deal .

We(TN) thought that we are faster( one week) but Modi proved he is fastest, now TN tiring to be fastest.

Agreed , whatever you starts in India everything end with corruption.

Chennai is down-right dirty.. only good roads are the main roads.. You slip inside the city and you can see it is littered with garbage everywhere.. The road to my office which is quite a landmark on OMR is cleaned once in 3 months and one poth-hole needs more than a month to repair.. same with any other road in my area.

Up to knowledge Chennai alone having broad roads (inside the city) than rest of the India I think.

Well done Tamilnadu. We certainly need more projects like this to be implemented all across India.:tup:

Back
Top Bottom