What's new

How to hard sell China's soft power

I disagree with the fact that China lacks soft power, HK film industry is one of the most popular in the world, now it does not matter what kind of **** they produce though it is much better than bollywood.

Bruce lee, Jet lee and Jackie Chan are all global stars, again it does not matter if the fame came through Hollywood movies.

Those are HK movies in Cantonese, not mainland movies in Mandarin. Totally different movie styles in different languages.

OK. I don't speak any dialect of Chinese, so I can't tell them apart.

i apologise , that made no sense to me. China ,private entertainers?. As stated, entertainment is a largely regulated commodity.
U have to tow the CCP line or get shut down.

Are you saying there are no actors, singers, dramatists, etc. who produce independent, private work in China?

well it depends on how closely u look at it ,from afar ,everything is wester looking ,after all most of em use guitars and drums.

No. K-pop music style is hop-hop and other Western genres with Korean motifs. It is 100% Western, not just 'Western looking'.

Bruce lee, Jet lee and Jackie Chan are all global stars, again it does not matter if the fame came through Hollywood movies.

Those are all stereotyped roles on Hollywood's terms.

Those are HK movies in Cantonese, not mainland movies in Mandarin. Totally different movie styles in different languages.

You are just kidding me, Cantonese and Mandarin ..different languages???
they are Varieties of Chinese, different pronunciation of one same world(Chinese character), just like US English and London English, Texas English, or Indian English;
A map below depicts the linguistic subdivisions ("languages" or "dialect groups") within China itself

chinese-dialects.jpg

Cantonese: means Guangdong Chinese, mainly at Guangdong Province, Guangxi Province, HK, Macco

they are Varieties of Chinese, different pronunciation of one same world(Chinese character), just like US English and London English, Texas English, or Indian English;
A map below depicts the linguistic subdivisions ("languages" or "dialect groups") within China itself

chinese-dialects.jpg

Cantonese: means Guangdong Chinese, mainly at Guangdong Province, Guangxi Province, HK, Macco
The troll just throw shxt from his mouth easily,
while you have to spend your energy and time to clear the dirty floor.:hitwall:

i love koreans movies alot.... i dont know why korean movies are so much same like bollywood movies full of love, action and comedy.... My most favorite korean movies are Christmas in August, my mother the mermaid. Also i loved korean comedy movie Two guys.... It made me laugh alot. Its totaly comedy and action movie.... indian god visited korea ancient time. Korea similar to india by nature....

Dancing the Koren Gunam style in public makes you like a sicko,
sicko needs be in custody, It is for public security,

There, the official CCP line surfaces. :tup:
Conform! or else get locked up.
Now, how will that work to support soft power? No chance at all.

chinese-dialects.jpg

Many Koreans don't want to acknowledge the fact that people from HK are Chinese, ever since we've doubled the number of Koreas :rofl:

When in the real world, a star from HK is trolling a Japanese kid by saying "Diaoyu island belongs to us, China", during a movie award ceremony in HK. So basically all the Koreans can do is just lurk around forums and create chances to mention the word "Hong Kongese", so more Koreans can get convinced :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. I don't speak any dialect of Chinese, so I can't tell them apart.
What Chinese call "Dialects" are "Languages" in English.

Calling Mandarin and Cantonese to be dialects is like calling Italian and Spanish as dialects.

Are you saying there are no actors, singers, dramatists, etc. who produce independent, private work in China?
All Chinese content production are subject to state censorship, and there is no "objective gudieline" on what gets banned, ie that notorious time-travel movie/drama ban.

Absolutely and positively yes.

It's funny to talk about China lacks of soft power here alone.Only a few countries in the world have a strong soft power,such as US,Japan,germany,UK,France¡* and they all are developed counties for a long time.And China is still developing.
Do your own country have a strong soft power yet?

what im saying is, if there are independent workshops ,they would never be allowed to get publicised if it doesn't fall under CCP guidelines.

so essentially , to answer ur question ,Yes thts exactly what im saying.

ive seen videos of Chinese funded CCp actors trying to act emotional an stuff ,seriously its disheartening.:lol:

im assuming ur not mingling HK with China .

Well, here is what your link says.

You're trying hard aren't you.

Here's what my link is really saying.

Cantonese

Cantonese or Yue (粵語) is a major Chinese dialect group or language, a member of the Sino-Tibetan family of languages.

Which in fact, most Cantonese speakers (me included), considers Cantonese as a type of Chinese dialect, instead of a language. Thus why when foreigners ask us what language do we speak, we'll say Chinese. And if they knew that Chinese has different dialects and asks us what dialects do we speak, THEN we'll say Cantonese.

Thus, why Cantonese, Mandarin are both referred as 中文.

What Is the Difference between Mandarin and Cantonese?

No, while many Hong Kongers are now learning Mandarin as a second language

Why not quote the rest of the paragraph, heck, or even the first paragraph of the article? :lol:
Plus, the above "as a second language" stands for a type of thinking when learning to speak something different. Nice try :rofl:

No, while many Hong Kongers are now learning Mandarin as a second language, they will, for the most part not speak the language. The same is true of Macau. Guangdong province has seen an influx of Mandarin speakers and many people here now speak the dialect.

Here's what it's stating in the beginning paragraph of the article.

Both spoken in China, both part of the Chinese Language; what is the difference between Chinese and Mandarin.

Cantonese and Mandarin are dialects of the Chinese Language. They share the same base alphabet, but as a spoken language they are distinct and not mutually intelligible.

I guess our member "Korean"s hidden intention is to show off this clown song now is a international hit. but you don't have to play down China for doing that out of your inferior complex.

Gangnam style scenario is not something proud, it's the west mocking of your Asian country IMHO. It's obvious only Koreans think otherwise. Try to ask any American whites if he could answer you honestly.
Everybody is laughing at Koreans and how stupid they look in that video. Just like the negative impression people get about indians from this video:

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl0b2LGf9jM[/video]

Thus, why Cantonese, Mandarin are both referred as 中文.
中文 = Chinese characters, not languages. Just because two languages use same writing system doesn't mean they are same languages, just like how Spanish and Italian using same Roman alphabet to write aren't same languages.

Back
Top Bottom