What's new

How Urdu language was imposed on the people of Punjab by the British colonialists

Here in England, the Welsh speak Welsh, the Scottish and Irish speak Gaelic. But all speak English band this is a binding force.
Similar examples of a single dominant language can be found in pretty much all countries of the world.
So spare us from your bigotry.
All languages are endogenous to UK - as is English. It's not like we have English, Welsh, Scots, Gaelic but fcukin French has been imposed on all of them because of few French migrants in London. Ask the English if they would accept that.

This is exactly what has happened in Pakistan.

By making Urdu official language of Pakistan media, PTV etc were hijacked by one set of speakers and Indian culture, music, fashion has been foisted on Pakistan. Just look at PTV it is dominated by one angle, mostly Indian.

All languages are endogenous to UK - as is English. It's not like we have English, Welsh, Scots, Gaelic but fcukin French has been imposed on all of them because of few French migrants in London. Ask the English if they would accept that.

By making Urdu official language of Pakistan media, PTV etc were hijacked by one set of speakers and Indian culture, music, fashion has been foisted on Pakistan. Just look at PTV it is dominated by one angle, mostly Indian.

You should ask Welsh, Scots, Gaelic how they accepted English. You should also stand in front of a mirror and ask: Oh Beautiful Pakistani, how YOU accepted English too?!!

The problem is not language, the problem is how you accepted it in the first place. White people went everywhere in the world. In Australia, Majority of whites were not of British origin. In USA, even they conducted a plebiscite in which people had to choose between German and English. Even todays Iraq and Syria were not Arabic speakers before Islamic era. I can mention many things about culture in Pakistan here, that I really don't want to mention.
Just a hint: Have you ever heard of a the word "Paindu"?

Whats my point then?

If we want to work for our country, or we want to preserve our culture we can do that pretty easy.

Niat chahiay bs. Koi nahi rokta Punjabi bolnay se, punjabi shairi se, na Basant manany se na dhoti bandhnay se. Just start doing it if your really love your culture. Teach your children that.

Oh Beautiful Pakistani, how YOU accepted English too?!!
I am son of a migrant. I have to accept what the native British want.
In Australia, Majority of whites were not of British origin
Who told you this? majority of Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians are of British stock.

If we want to work for our country, or we want to preserve our culture we can do that pretty easy.

Niat chahiay bs. Koi nahi rokta Punjabi bolnay se, punjabi shairi se, na Basant manany se na dhoti bandhnay se. Just start doing it if your really love your culture. Teach your children that.
No idea what your on about.

Urdu's replacement in Pakistan for Arabic or Turkish is highly unlikely, at least in the foreseeable future. I don't get this obsession of Pakistani to put Persian and Arabic in a category of high importance and prestige compared to their own national and ethnic languages. Get rid of this inferiority complex

We should get rid of Urdu to stop Indian bollywood influence
we should get rid of Punjabi because Indian Punjabi understand it
We should get rid of Sindhi because you also have sindhi in India who speak Sindhi
We should get rid of pashto because afghan speak it and we need separate indenity than our enemy country afghanistan

Its amazing that Afghanistan has Farsi(Dari), Pashto as their main languages yet they learning Hindi from bollywood movies and are more close to India than Pakistan which they openly declare it. Same is true for Iranians and arabs who has close ties with India yet we are reaching out to Persians and Arabs in desperation for belonging.

Urdu is a combination of various languages and not a language on its own.
The "Fuking" french you mentioned is an actual language not like Urdu.
For that reason Urdu cannot be called as foreign as french.
Other than that Which local language you want to impose without causing a conflict?
Impose Punjabi and pushtoons won't accept and same with other local languages.
About UK yes the Scottish call English a foreign language.

If hindi speakers were to venture out in Afghanistan or for that matter central Asia, Turkey, Iran or any of the Arab countries they would have an epiphany. The damned language has way too much common with Muslim languages. Right here is the crux of the problem, people who made this language out of local and central/western Asian mix exalted the language. They lifted what was there into something more significant. The issue is because of hard borders between Pakistan and it's western neighbors Pakistanis haven't really been able to do cultural exchange which kept only the eastern venue i.e. India open to public. That is over a half a century of propaganda and cultural exchange while little to none on western and northern end. You'd be surprised how Uighurs share so much linguistically with Pakistanis yet for a common man in Pakistan they're another Chinese... incommunicable...

Shocking it should be but not for Pakistanis... only a hindi peddling Indian fascist. Turks lost a lot when they changed the alphabet a generation lost touch with their glorious history and sizable content in writings... today still Turks seek their lost glory but in language their elders changed due to an insecurity and inferiority complex.

Last edited:
But if you look it in another sense.
Beside Religion.
Urdu units all provinces in Pakistan.
Otherwise, you would have clash of regional tounges.

Its true that with the selection of Urdu no province had an grievance, but this would have been the case if we had selected Dari or Turkish but with an added advantage of us being closer to our western and northern neighbours than being affiliated with the people to our East.

Brother, Farsi was spoken by less people than English when Pakistan became an independent nation. Arabic was never spoken by any group of people in the Indian subcontinent for day to day conversations. English is an international language, and also language of diplomacy. Arabic is not, neither is Farsi, neither is Turkish.

I would advise you to learn Mandarin because it will greatly help you in the future. I'm currently learning it, I have a long way to go. But a language is just that, a language, a means of communication, let's not make it a god to worship.

Even Urdu was spoken by less people than English, plus Urdu today is a mesh up of Hindi while originally it was much closer to Dari.

@Indus Pakistan @Sine Nomine @fitpOsitive

Guys my two cents and please correct me where I am wrong, interesting research article but as is the case degrading in to petty squabbling. It's an established fact that the grammar of Urdu was made by a British captain (forgot the name), purpose of the same was to develop a language for easy communication between various ethnicities and languages. Unlike invaders from the west who imposed their languages on the local populace be it Persian, be it Turkish or any other the British amalgamated local variants, although it was already evolving, into one language again as an easier medium of exchange between various ethnicities.

There is no doubt about it even in that era punjabis did form a majority of the population of india facing the western frontier, that is why it was the language by default to be mixed with arabic/persian and turkish (pre dominantly) @Indus Pakistan is absolutely correct that as you go east punjabi starts morphing into softer version and eventually to urdu. Hindi is the result of emerging hindu nationalism by Bala Jee and Shiva jee thus it has more sanskrit than arabic/persian or turkish for that matter. Compare any sentence of Hindi vs urdu the only difference will be the arabic/persian/turkish word with that of a sanskrit one.

Punjabis have always been at the forefront of every bloodshed brought in by successive invaders coming from the west over thousands of years, and this has made them more pragmatic/adoptable or gullible whichever way you want to put it.

As mentioned earlier even post partition in Pakistan Punjabis formed a major population group which had the same language, although I fail to find Punjabi prime minister/president till Zia however punjabis faced a multi pronged attack on their culture and language first Liaquat ali favorite urdu speaking bureaucracy, the bengalis later sindhis and Ghaddar Khan (its not a spelling mistake) and ilk. The Urdu speaking community covertly/overtly started ridiculing Punjabi as a language and started linking it with ill mannered people. While Sindhi, Pashto and baloch local languages are taught as a compulsory subject in respective provinces school, there is no where in punjab, punjabi is taught as a compulsory language in schools.

I have traveled across the globe and shamefully I accept that we punjabis are the only ones who have disowned their own language, nowadays if there is anyone who have kept punjabi language and culture alive are the sikhs of India. Yes we have been brainwashed into accepting our language as a lower one.

In Pakistan Punjabi is a dying language, every family deep in the heartland of Pakistani Punjab parents are trying to speak Urdu, I am afraid our own variant of Punjabi is being spoken by the last generation after that its urdu or english.

Perhaps it is the natural evolution as well, going through history of nations one finds that languages evolved and died out replaced by another one, a simpler version, I do not see a bright future for urdu either unless drastic steps are taken, children all of them school going hate urdu as a subject, mode of communication these days is social media and urdu alphabets are being replaced by english alphabets, may be we are looking at another Turkish type evolution.

Strange thing is every ethnic group can speak about their language/culture except Punjabis, am I wrong.

Children of today are not interested in reading about petty rivalry between Ghalib and Mir and their incomprehensible language, urdu too need a major transformation in the education sector to keep it alive.

Nutshell the fact is I am now Pakistani first then a Punjabi later, although the first language I learned was english along punjabi, although I am fully conversant with most of the varinats of punjabi still love a good pujbai song, but reality is that it will be gone as a language in a couple of centuries. Urdu is now my language and I have to accept it no matter how bitter a pill.

Last edited:

Guys my two cents and please correct me where I am wrong, interesting research article but as is the case degrading in to petty squabbling. It's an established fact that the grammar of Urdu was made by a British captain (forgot the name), purpose of the same was to develop a language for easy communication between various ethnicities and languages. Unlike invaders from the west who imposed their languages on the local populace be it Persian, be it Turkish or any other the British amalgamated local variants, although it was already evolving, into one language again as an easier medium of exchange between various ethnicities.

There is no doubt about it even in that era punjabis did form a majority of the population of india facing the western frontier, that is why it was the language by default to be mixed with arabic/persian and turkish (pre dominantly) @Indus Pakistan is absolutely correct that as you go east punjabi starts morphing into softer version and eventually to urdu. Hindi is the result of emerging hindu nationalism by Bala Jee and Shiva jee thus it has more sanskrit than arabic/persian or turkish for that matter. Compare any sentence of Hindi vs urdu the only difference will be the arabic/persian/turkish word with that of a sanskrit one.

Punjabis have always been at the forefront of every bloodshed brought in by successive invaders coming from the west over thousands of years, and this has made them more pragmatic/adoptable or gullible whichever way you want to put it.

As mentioned earlier even post partition in Pakistan Punjabis formed a major population group which had the same language, although I fail to find Punjabi prime minister/president till Zia however punjabis faced a multi pronged attack on their culture and language first Liaquat ali favorite urdu speaking bureaucracy, the bengalis later sindhis and Ghaddar Khan and ilk. The Urdu speaking community covertly/overtly started ridiculing Punjabi as a language and started linking it with ill mannered people. While Sindhi, Pashto and baloch local languages are taught as a compulsory subject in respective provinces school, there is no where in punjab, punjabi is taught as a compulsory language in schools.

I have traveled across the globe and shamefully I accept that we punjabis are the only ones who have disowned their own language, nowadays if there is anyone who have kept punjabi language and culture alive are the sikhs of India. Yes we have been brainwashed into accepting our language as a lower one.

In Pakistan Punjabi is a dying language, every family deep in the heartland of Pakistani Punjab parents are trying to speak Urdu, I am afraid our own variant of Punjabi is being spoken by the last generation after that its urdu or english.

Perhaps it is the natural evolution as well, going through history of nations one finds that languages evolved and died out replaced by another one, a simpler version, I do not see a bright future for urdu either unless drastic steps are taken, children all of them school going hate urdu as a subject, mode of communication these days is social media and urdu alphabets are being replaced by english alphabets, may be we are looking at another Turkish type evolution.

Children of today are not interested in reading about petty rivalry between Ghalib and Mir and their incomprehensible language, urdu too need a major transformation in the education sector to keep it alive.

Nutshell the fact is I am now Pakistani first then a Punjabi later, although the first language I learned was english along punjabi, although I am fully conversant with most of the varinats of punjabi still love a good pujbai song, but reality is that it will be gone as a language in a couple of centuries. Urdu is now my language and I have to accept it no matter how bitter a pill.
Don't worry, languages like German and Spanish will also be wiped out within next few centuries.

As mentioned earlier even post partition in Pakistan Punjabis formed a major population group which had the same language, although I fail to find Punjabi prime minister/president till Zia however punjabis faced a multi pronged attack on their culture and language first Liaquat ali favorite urdu speaking bureaucracy, the bengalis later sindhis and Ghaddar Khan (its not a spelling mistake) and ilk. The Urdu speaking community covertly/overtly started ridiculing Punjabi as a language and started linking it with ill mannered people. While Sindhi, Pashto and baloch local languages are taught as a compulsory subject in respective provinces school, there is no where in punjab, punjabi is taught as a compulsory language in schools.

Strange thing is every ethnic group can speak about their language/culture except Punjabis, am I wrong.

Urdu speaking community is nothing just a group of people having no collective culture and langauge and have picked Urdu as one.
Punjabis are soft speaking people,who like to mind their own business.In greater scheme of things langauge is least of my concern.Sindhis,Pashtuns and Balochis inspite of having their langauges as medium have performed poorely,minus Pashtuns who do care about Pashto but latley have started paying attention to Urdu and English.
Urdu never threatens Punjabi citing,if closly looked it more looks like a soft persianized dialect of Punjabi.
About Punjab being invaded all the time,flat land offers economical advantage but no defence at all.That's why mostly locals would ally themselves with any attacker,that suits them.I don't think so it has been sacked by invaders,over time most invaders have lost their identities and have got assimilated themselves into Punjab and today are known as Punjabis.

The question is, does Punjabis know this fact themselves?
Only one language in subcontinent has two versions and that language is Punjabi, and its latest version is Urdu. That's spectacular about Punjabi people and Punjabi language. If someone doesn't believe me, just compare the vocabulary of Punjabi and Urdu, you will be stunned. I have a Punjabi background, that's why I know these things.

Listen to heer ranjha then come back. I don’t think you will still hold this view.

This is the continuous propaganda that I read on the internet, Sikhs of indian punjab speak a very lowly form of punjabi language and their so-called culture is also very lowly nature. Our Western Punjab muslim punjabi languages, culture and mindset has always been very different from the Sikhs of indian Punjab. Only the Muhajir Muslim Punjabis who have migrated from indian Punjab have this liking for Sikhs because they speak same dialect of Punjabi as the Sikhs of India and their culture, habits and mindset is also very similar to them.

Urdu never threatens Punjabi citing,if closly looked it more looks like a soft persianized dialect of Punjabi.

This the biggest joke in the world, Punjabi is more closer to Persian as compared to Urdu in its core indigenous vocabulary and grammar,

Example;

English....... This is a Book
Persian........ In Kitab Ast
Punjabi ....... Ay Kitab Ay
Saraiki......... In Kitab ai
Urdu.............Yeh Kitab hai

It is clear both Punjabi/Saraiki sentences are grammatically more closer to Persian than the fake so-called "Persianized hindi" called Urdu.

Last edited:
The constant bickering about our national reminds of the following article.

Official language: is it Urdu or English?
By Rashid Ali
Published: July 29, 2013
TWEET EMAIL
582574-RashidAliNew-1374868356-273-640x480.JPG

It was decided in 1973 that a decade from then on, Urdu will be declared as the official language of Pakistan. However, this did not happen. It is worth mentioning that upon approval of the Constitution in 1973, Balochistan kept Urdu as its official language. This step was taken by then chief minister Attaullah Mengal. In Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, where Imran Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf is in the majority currently, the provincial assembly members took their oaths in Urdu, although most of them were pure Pashto, Hindko and Seraiki speakers. It was possible to take the oath in Pashto but the admired patriots took their oath in Urdu and did not allow race or other considerations to trump the national interest.

On the contrary, the Sindh Assembly stood divided on the language basis, where the majority took their oaths in Sindhi, while others opted for Urdu and English. In Punjab, the oath was taken in English and Urdu. The Balochistan Assembly left everyone behind and took the oath in four different languages. The National Assembly members took their oath in English. It didn’t seem like Pakistan’s National Assembly where the national language was supposed to be Urdu. I remember that the Chinese prime minister’s speech to the Senate and National Assembly had been delivered in Mandarin, the official language of the People’s Republic of China and then translated into English. If development comes with the use of English, why has China seen rapid development in the past few years? Taking an oath is a matter of law, but when it comes to the language chosen to do so, the matter becomes political.

It seems that the dislike for our national language will continue to rise and political parties, along with members of assemblies will conduct politics on the basis of their place of birth, language and race. I have one question for the upper class of this country: every other country in this world is proud of their mother language, why aren’t we?

Published in The Express Tribune, July 27th, 2013.

I can’t say about other regions, but in my Chak (village) one would find more people with a smattering of English than Persian. For shikar, I have traveled extensively in most of the Sargodha district (then Khushab was also a tehsil of Sargodha) and the situation was no different.

I maintain that Urdu was never a foreign language. There is no bar on learning, speaking or writing Punjabi. Punjabi songs, films, poetry & folk music are also thriving. There was no coercion in 1973 when Baluchistan, KPK, as well as Punjab, decided on keeping Urdu as the official language of the province. Sindh Assembly opted for Sindhi as the official language is the only exception. Additionally, what is the point of having an assembly when so many educated people refuse to accept the decision about the official language?

If even after 72 years, so many members of this august forum hate their national language and consider it an imposition of a foreign language by colonial masters; is there any hope in Pakistanis ever uniting as one nation?

On a personal note, I love Punjabi culture & language, also love Urdu and have a strong bias towards Persian, hence either of these as the official languages are acceptable to me. However, since both Allama Iqbal (Punjabi speaker) and Quaid-e-Azam ( Gujrati speaker) supported Urdu, I shall support Urdu at any time.

This the biggest joke int he world, Punjabi is more closer to Persian as compared to Urdu when it comes to native grammar,

Example;

English....... This is a Book
Persian........ In Kitab Ast
Punjabi ....... Ay Kitab Ay
Saraiki......... In Kitab ai
Urdu.............Yeh Kitab hai

It is clear both Punjabi/Saraiki sentence are gramatically more closer to Persian than the fake so-called "Persianized hindi" called Urdu.
Those who have command over Urdu literature know many words of persian . Iqbal poetry is in Urdu and Persian because they are somewhat similar otherwise he would have written his poetry in his mother tongue Punjabi and persian. If Punjabi is more close to Persian then persian speaker should understand Punjabi speaker much better than Urdu speaker which is not the case.

The constant bickering about our national reminds of the following article.

Official language: is it Urdu or English?
By Rashid Ali
Published: July 29, 2013
TWEET EMAIL
582574-RashidAliNew-1374868356-273-640x480.JPG

It was decided in 1973 that a decade from then on, Urdu will be declared as the official language of Pakistan. However, this did not happen. It is worth mentioning that upon approval of the Constitution in 1973, Balochistan kept Urdu as its official language. This step was taken by then chief minister Attaullah Mengal. In Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, where Imran Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf is in the majority currently, the provincial assembly members took their oaths in Urdu, although most of them were pure Pashto, Hindko and Seraiki speakers. It was possible to take the oath in Pashto but the admired patriots took their oath in Urdu and did not allow race or other considerations to trump the national interest.

On the contrary, the Sindh Assembly stood divided on the language basis, where the majority took their oaths in Sindhi, while others opted for Urdu and English. In Punjab, the oath was taken in English and Urdu. The Balochistan Assembly left everyone behind and took the oath in four different languages. The National Assembly members took their oath in English. It didn’t seem like Pakistan’s National Assembly where the national language was supposed to be Urdu. I remember that the Chinese prime minister’s speech to the Senate and National Assembly had been delivered in Mandarin, the official language of the People’s Republic of China and then translated into English. If development comes with the use of English, why has China seen rapid development in the past few years? Taking an oath is a matter of law, but when it comes to the language chosen to do so, the matter becomes political.

It seems that the dislike for our national language will continue to rise and political parties, along with members of assemblies will conduct politics on the basis of their place of birth, language and race. I have one question for the upper class of this country: every other country in this world is proud of their mother language, why aren’t we?

Published in The Express Tribune, July 27th, 2013.

I can’t say about other regions, but in my Chak (village) one would find more people with a smattering of English than Persian. For shikar, I have traveled extensively in most of the Sargodha district (then Khushab was also a tehsil of Sargodha) and the situation was no different.

I maintain that Urdu was never a foreign language. There is no bar on learning, speaking or writing Punjabi. Punjabi songs, films, poetry & folk music are also thriving. There was no coercion in 1973 when Baluchistan, KPK, as well as Punjab, decided on keeping Urdu as the official language of the province. Sindh Assembly opted for Sindhi as the official language is the only exception. Additionally, what is the point of having an assembly when so many educated people refuse to accept the decision about the official language?

If even after 72 years, so many members of this august forum hate their national language and consider it an imposition of a foreign language by colonial masters; is there any hope in Pakistanis ever uniting as one nation?

On a personal note, I love Punjabi culture & language, also love Urdu and have a strong bias towards Persian, hence either of these as the official languages are acceptable to me. However, since both Allama Iqbal (Punjabi speaker) and Quaid-e-Azam ( Gujrati speaker) supported Urdu, I shall support Urdu at any time.

Urdu is a fancy name given to Hindi by UP muslims, it was never present in Punjab before the annexation of Punjab by the British colonialists in 1949, why do you find it hard to accept when the OP article proves it by authentic official records/references from the British colonial regime in Punjab post 1849.

Allama Iqbal called the language in which he wrote poetry as "Hindi" and not "Urdu" because this fancy "Urdu" word had no meaning in his eyes.

Allama Iqbal's farsi/dari couplet comparing dari/farsi and "hindi", the two languages in which he wrote peotry.

گرچہ ہندی در عذوبت شکر است

garchi Hindi dar uzūbat shakkar ast

طرز گفتار دري شيرين تر است

tarz-i guftar-i Dari shirin tar ast

Translation: Even though in sweetness Hindi is sugar(but) speech method in Dari (Persian dialect) is sweeter .

Referenences:

1 Kuliyat Iqbal, Iqbal Academy Publications, 1990, Lahore, Pakistan
2 http://www.allamaiqbal.com/works/poetry/persian/asrar/text/01.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom