What's new

Debunked: “Punjabi Cheiftains & 1857 Rebellion”

Neelo

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Response to Tariq Aqil’s dubious article “Punjabi Cheiftains & The 1857 Rebellion” - Friday Times, 08 August 2023

I’m convinced Tariq Aqil read my article (see below) and just wrote the opposite. He argues in his article that Punjabis and Pashtuns sided with the British during the 1857 War of Independence (which he oddly refers to as a ‘rebellion’). He then doesn’t explain why and immediately goes out of his way to mention certain names. The hit piece seems less interested in history and more interested in character assassinations of current politicIan’s in Pakistan whose ancestors played a role In that event.

Facts which were not mentioned in the article which I’ve highlighted in the article “The Story of Rai Ahmad Khan Kharal”.

1. Punjab had fallen to the British in 1849 and so colonial rule had only been in place for eight years up until May 1857. British occupied Punjab was still a work in progress.

2. Much of the British Punjabi colonial structure was being operated by non-Punjabis like schools, canals and especially the military regiments. Most of the soldiers of the British Raj Colonial Army stationed in Lahore, Sialkot and Jhelum were non-Punjabis during this period, who were transferred to Punjab from the northern Ganges plain.
3. When the 1857 War of Independence broke out, the regiments in Lahore, Sialkot and Jhelum did witness a mutiny, but poor coordination and a complete lack of sympathy from the local people of Punjab ensured that they were easily put down.
The question is why. Tariq Aqil never bothered to explore this.

The people of Punjab chose to support the British and rejected the uprising – but this was not done out of love for the British. Rather, both Punjabi Muslims and Punjabi Sikhs had political reasons to ally with the British.

From a Punjabi Muslim perspective, the British were initially seen as “liberators”, who had ended minority Sikh rule of Muslim majority Punjab and thus were not too keen on seeing the British leave right away.

On the contrary, Punjabi Sikhs also chose to ally with the British, since the hatred of the Mughuls was much greater than that of the British. Furthermore, the Sikhs were by and large treated generously by the British following the fall of Punjab in 1849, and so the Sikhs chose to remain loyal to the British.

Regionally outside of Punjab, a similar case occurred with the Pashtuns. The northwest Pashtun tribal regions had been keeping a close eye on the uprising and, like the Punjabis, chose to morally support the British initially, purely for political reasons. With the British having their hands full with an uprising, it was thought that the Pashtun tribal regions would be free from any British misadventure for the time being.

However, British support in Punjab wasn’t uniform, and some openly challenged the British – one of whom was Rai Ahmad Khan Kharal.
I’m not surprised NayaDaur published this ridiculous article, considering they’re lock and step with the GHQ Junta these days. Nevertheless, this article seems more interested in calling out certain ancestors of certain individuals in a party that’s being dismantled by the ‘Great Leader’ Asim Munir.

I’m not going to reply to @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE SOOR OF THE NIGHT’s article. From now on I’ll debunk him in separate topics. Since the moderators are okay with him spamming, I’lol do the same.

British relocated and awarded lands in Punjab earning great admiration from the local chieftains.

These relocated people will eventually form the electable feudal class which continues her stranglehold in the region.

Variety of factors combined to provide a steady stream of loyal subjects to the British crown.

1857 war of independence however never gained traction in Punjab and was only limited to central and northern princely states of the subcontinent.

British relocated and awarded lands in Punjab earning great admiration from the local chieftains.

These relocated people will eventually form the electable feudal class which continues her stranglehold in the region.

Variety of factors combined to provide a steady stream of loyal subjects to the British crown.

1857 war of independence however never gained traction in Punjab and was only limited to central and northern princely states of the subcontinent.
Gogera rebellion was one of the largest movements started in Punjab. However it was cut down by the watoos, kasuris and other puppets.

Response to Tariq Aqil’s dubious article “Punjabi Cheiftains & The 1857 Rebellion” - Friday Times, 08 August 2023

I’m convinced Tariq Aqil read my article (see below) and just wrote the opposite. He argues in his article that Punjabis and Pashtuns sided with the British during the 1857 War of Independence (which he oddly refers to as a ‘rebellion’). He then doesn’t explain why and immediately goes out of his way to mention certain names. The hit piece seems less interested in history and more interested in character assassinations of current politicIan’s in Pakistan whose ancestors played a role In that event.

Facts which were not mentioned in the article which I’ve highlighted in the article “The Story of Rai Ahmad Khan Kharal”.

1. Punjab had fallen to the British in 1849 and so colonial rule had only been in place for eight years up until May 1857. British occupied Punjab was still a work in progress.

2. Much of the British Punjabi colonial structure was being operated by non-Punjabis like schools, canals and especially the military regiments. Most of the soldiers of the British Raj Colonial Army stationed in Lahore, Sialkot and Jhelum were non-Punjabis during this period, who were transferred to Punjab from the northern Ganges plain.
3. When the 1857 War of Independence broke out, the regiments in Lahore, Sialkot and Jhelum did witness a mutiny, but poor coordination and a complete lack of sympathy from the local people of Punjab ensured that they were easily put down.
The question is why. Tariq Aqil never bothered to explore this.

The people of Punjab chose to support the British and rejected the uprising – but this was not done out of love for the British. Rather, both Punjabi Muslims and Punjabi Sikhs had political reasons to ally with the British.

From a Punjabi Muslim perspective, the British were initially seen as “liberators”, who had ended minority Sikh rule of Muslim majority Punjab and thus were not too keen on seeing the British leave right away.

On the contrary, Punjabi Sikhs also chose to ally with the British, since the hatred of the Mughuls was much greater than that of the British. Furthermore, the Sikhs were by and large treated generously by the British following the fall of Punjab in 1849, and so the Sikhs chose to remain loyal to the British.

Regionally outside of Punjab, a similar case occurred with the Pashtuns. The northwest Pashtun tribal regions had been keeping a close eye on the uprising and, like the Punjabis, chose to morally support the British initially, purely for political reasons. With the British having their hands full with an uprising, it was thought that the Pashtun tribal regions would be free from any British misadventure for the time being.

However, British support in Punjab wasn’t uniform, and some openly challenged the British – one of whom was Rai Ahmad Khan Kharal.
I’m not surprised NayaDaur published this ridiculous article, considering they’re lock and step with the GHQ Junta these days. Nevertheless, this article seems more interested in calling out certain ancestors of certain individuals in a party that’s being dismantled by the ‘Great Leader’ Asim Munir.

I’m not going to reply to @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE SOOR OF THE NIGHT’s article. From now on I’ll debunk him in separate topics. Since the moderators are okay with him spamming, I’lol do the same.
Pushtoons never sided ..one exception can be few tribes in punjab like mashwani tribes but pushtoons had long militancy history against both British and Sikhs

Gogera rebellion was one of the largest movements started in Punjab. However it was cut down by the watoos, kasuris and other puppets.

The chieftains refused to lend support to the mutiny which had then a profound effect on British colonial recruiting and gave birth to the propaganda of martial race theory, the British recruited less and less from central and northern states till the 2nd world war.

The chieftains refused to lend support to the mutiny which had then a profound effect on British colonial recruiting and gave birth to the propaganda of martial race theory, the British recruited less and less from central and northern states till the 2nd world war.
The brits had abandoned that in the late 18th century.
Sepoy n the raj by David omissi is a good read on the topic.

Pushtoons never sided ..one exception can be few tribes in punjab like mashwani tribes but pushtoons had long militancy history against both British and Sikhs

British Empire had to bomb Waziristan to try to get them to stop.

Afghanistan became British protectorate after Second Anglo-Afghan War but in 1919 became free from that.

The funniest thing I’ll ever see from that period of history is Battle of Saragarhi.

I don’t know how that battle became so over exaggerated and folktale-like.

British Empire had to bomb Waziristan to try to get them to stop.

Afghanistan became British protectorate after Second Anglo-Afghan War but in 1919 became free from that.

The funniest thing I’ll ever see from that period of history is Battle of Saragarhi.

I don’t know how that battle became so over exaggerated and folktale-like.
It's obviously a fake history made up to keep the sikh morale high after several crashing defeats

Unfortunately something Muslims should have learned from afghans, Turks, Chinese and Persian ...but we never did and end up being slaves to British masters

I see the tradition has continued till date

Back
Top Bottom