What's new

Huawei Releases World First Satellite Phone

Thuraya X5-Touch is the world's first satellite Android smartphone

19 November 2018

Thuraya took the wraps off its first Android smartphone, the X5-Touch. Like every other product from this company, it's a sat phone. It's also a normal smartphone that looks nothing like a normal smartphone.

It has a 5.2-inch 1080p IPS touchscreen, the Snapdragon 625 chipset, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of expandable storage, an 8 MP rear camera, a 2 MP selfie snapper, and a 3,800 mAh battery. It disappointingly runs Android 7.1 Nougat for some reason.

gsmarena_002.jpg

It weighs 262g and comes with IP67 water and dust resistance as well as MIL-STD-810 certification for being able to withstand extreme conditions. The X5-Touch has NFC on board and it supports navigation through GPS, BeiDou, and GLONASS.

For satellite calls a retractable antenna has been added, and the phone has always-on dual-SIM functionality with one SIM working on conventional 2G/3G/4G networks and the other dealing with satellites.

gsmarena_003.jpg

The Thuraya X5-Touch will be available in 160 countries for £999. The company says it will be out in December, though it may only make it to certain markets (like the UK) at the end of January.

I can get one from Ebay for $1685

View attachment 951463
There was a product from Garmin that connects using Bluetooth to your android or iPhone, and you can call via satcom through your phone.

He is talking a fact with solid source you guys just jump in for your trolling and insulting on him USA make first sat phone in the world not China lol
well. The first time I saw you respecting the fact. So I suggest you guys buy this. Any questions?

Screenshot_20230909_062245.jpg

It's like you said that the Ford class aircraft carrier is nothing special. Because it was the British who invented the aircraft carrier. Not American.

I respect the facts. I also hope you respect your logic and IQ.

Lol....literally made the baby cry...😅🤣
Well. I cry. Prepare to welcome your honor. baby.

Last edited:
Are these phones expected to perform like Iridium phones? Satellite phones, if at an affordable price point, could be useful for fishermen at sea. That’s one purely civilian use that could have wide appeal. Adventure travels and people that generally want to stay off local cell networks could desire these phones, akin to star link.

well. The first time I saw you respecting the fact. So I suggest you guys buy this. Any questions?

It's like you said that the Ford class aircraft carrier is nothing special. Because it was the British who invented the aircraft carrier. Not American.

Its here since 2019 why you crying to MODs since he is talking a fact

Its here since 2019 why you crying to MODs since he is talking a fact

I am more curious. Where did you get the courage to reply to me?

Maybe you ate too much Japanese nuclear seafood?

View attachment 952166
Now that's I called trolling

I am more curious. Where did you get the courage to reply to me?

Maybe you ate too much Japanese nuclear seafood?

View attachment 952166
Now that's I called trolling

There was a product from Garmin that connects using Bluetooth to your android or iPhone, and you can call via satcom through your phone.
I think I saw a Inmarsat do the same thing, but as a single unit a few years ago, not an add on to your phone.

The point is, Satellite Android phone is not something new, unlike the OP claim.

Huawei released a new foldable phone today - Mate X5.

This is really slow....... only 2g down? That 3500 speed.........you would expect new phone now can do mmwave and goes to 4 to 5 gbps down and 500mb up.

This is what last generation phone can do........

Last edited:
Are these phones expected to perform like Iridium phones? Satellite phones, if at an affordable price point, could be useful for fishermen at sea. That’s one purely civilian use that could have wide appeal. Adventure travels and people that generally want to stay off local cell networks could desire these phones, akin to star link.
no, they perform like an actual phone like a Samsung S23 or whatever phone, just instead of using 3G/4G or 5G GSM technology they are using dual GSM/Satellite communications

That's why it get out of favor because it's expensive to buy and use those phone, and normal people won't buy them because there aren't really need to have them unless they go down to the deepest place in the earth that don't have cellphone coverage.

no, they perform like an actual phone like a Samsung S23 or whatever phone, just instead of using 3G/4G or 5G GSM technology they are using dual GSM/Satellite communications

That's why it get out of favor because it's expensive to buy and use those phone, and normal people won't buy them because there aren't really need to have them unless they go down to the deepest place in the earth that don't have cellphone coverage.
Wouldn’t they be useful for fishermen? At least fishermen that can afford such a phone. Or at least one such phone in a group of fishermen and all the other fishermen create some kind of local area network with the sat phone.

Wouldn’t they be useful for fishermen? At least fishermen that can afford such a phone. Or at least one such phone in a group of fishermen and all the other fishermen create some kind of local area network with the sat phone.
Then why fishermen don't just stick with Satellite phone as there are no GSM reception at sea.

On the other hand, fishermen or aircraft don't usually use Satellite phone because they need to communicate with Aircraft and Ship in the area, wireless communication is preferred over Satellite communication.

No it's not.

This is the world first Android Based Satellite Phone _ Already Out in 2019...

View attachment 951458

And I am sure Inmarsat had one similar to this, can't find it on their catalogue tho, probably is too old and they have taken that out.
you can't talk phone to phone via satellite with Thuraya so not quite true satellite phone.

Then why fishermen don't just stick with Satellite phone as there are no GSM reception at sea.

On the other hand, fishermen or aircraft don't usually use Satellite phone because they need to communicate with Aircraft and Ship in the area, wireless communication is preferred over Satellite communication.
If this phone is cheaper to buy and use then a traditional sat phone, people will buy it, if it functions similarly. Cost is the issue.

If this phone is cheaper to buy and use then a traditional sat phone, people will buy it, if it functions similarly. Cost is the issue.
Well, I can get a Irdium Sat phone for about $900 USD, Mate 60Pro have a RRP of $1200.

Again, this is not the first phone in the world for this (regardless of what the OP said) there is a reason why that Thuraya didn't make a new version of X5 Touch (The actual first sat phone based on GSM) Most people need a SAT phone will just go buy a Sat Phone. They won't go for Hybrid like this paying premium, and the Thuraya one is actually cheaper than Mate 60 Pro when they launch. It was about $1000 USD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom