What's new

Human space flight prog: HAL hands over crew module assembly to ISRO

r1MM0n

Reaction score
BANGALORE, FEB 13:
Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) has handed over the first ‘Crew Module Structural Assembly’ for the ‘Human Space Flight Program’ to ISRO's Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC).

The first crew module will be further equipped with systems necessary for crew support, navigation, guidance and control systems for experimentation in the forthcoming GSLV-MK3 launch.

“HAL takes pride in India’s space programmes and our aerospace division has produced this crew module in record time to meet the requirements of ISRO,” said Dr R. K. Tyagi, Chairman, HAL.

HAL has contributed to India’s space programmes, including ISRO’s mars mission, by providing the satellite structure, propellant tankages and supplied 13 types of riveted structural assemblies, seven types of welded propellant tankages, which include the cryogenic liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen tanks and cryogenic stage structures, for the GSLV D5.

Human space flight prog: HAL hands over crew module assembly to ISRO | Business Line

HAL-Space2_jpg_1755106f.jpg

300px-ISRO_orbital_vehicle.jpg

Last edited:
Wait a second I am confused. On one side the governemnt and ISRO is denying that the Human space flight is a priority and on the other side things are getting done quietly. Something is fishy.

experimentation in the forthcoming

ISRO Is the only government organization in india that builds before it speaks...
Its hard to judge the progress of this project. The crew module structure in the picture seems full scale and seems like it isbeing prepared for a flight in the near future ofcourse after further modifications.

Crew escape system and parashute decelerations systems are ready and tested as confirmed by ISRO 2013 reports with pictures. ISRO flight suit pics appeared on forum last year sometime, we can also buy flight suits from Russia anytime we want. India is also well advanced when it comes to heat shields, communications, navigation and life support, I am sure that wont take long either. The article says that it will be experimented on the GSLV mk3 launch coming soon.

I see that slowly pieces of the puzzle are coming along. India might join the club in next 4-5 years.

Wait a second I am confused. On one side the governemnt and ISRO is denying that the Human space flight is a priority and on the other side things are getting done quietly. Something is fishy.

ISRO denied that they do not have any plan for Manned moon mission at the moment ...they never denied plan for Human space flight programme ...!

which means putting Indian astronauts to LEO . These tow are different things ...

we are only going to test crew module during experimental GSLV Mk III flight which is only first step towards Human Space flight programme ...

isbeing prepared
ISRO denied that they do not have any plan for Manned moon mission at the moment ...they never denied plan for Human space flight programme ...!

which means putting Indian astronauts to LEO . These tow are different things ...

we are only going to test crew module during experimental GSLV Mk III flight which is only first step towards Human Space flight programme ...

I know that and I never said that they denied. I just said its not on their priority list. But as far as I see, things are moving pretty quickly.

This crew module looks rather primitive ...may be because it's not completed yet with various subsystems ...they barely have 1 month to get all systems onboard ...because it has to be ready for integration in march ...if GSLV Mk III flight is to take place in april ....

this is how it will look when completed ...

I know that and I never said that they denied. I just said its not on their priority list. But as far as I see, things are moving pretty quickly.

Human space flight progammae has been articulated as part of space India vision 2025 ...it is very much on their list ....can't do until they have man rated vehicle that is GSLV Mk III which will be ready only by 2020 ....

ISRO is inching towards it step by step ...

Our media did confuse between Human space flight programme and manned moon mission .

ISRO denied plan for manned moon mission ....but Human space flight programme was always very much on the list since last decade ...

Last edited:
If this program is given a little more priority by government then i am pretty hopeful we can successfully conduct a human space flight before the end of this decade :)
Lets see how gslv mk3 test goes in april

If this program is given a little more priority by government then i am pretty hopeful we can successfully conduct a human space flight before the end of this decade :)
Lets see how gslv mk3 test goes in april

Indeed Human Space Flight is possible by 2020 if GSLV Mk III is successfully flight tested by 2017 ...it will need atleast 3-5 successful launches before it gets man rated ...

so if ISRO sticks to schedule and there are no setbacks for GSLV Mk III then by 2020 it's real possibility ...

but then GSLV Mk III is totally new vehicle , we should not be surprised if there are any failures initially ...

So it seems the future plans of ISRO are on track. Now the only thing that is waiting is the MK III launch. Does anyone have info is to if we are taking any assistance from other countries in the making of the space module. Countries like Russia and USA? We have been getting along quite well with NASA in the past couple of years. It would be nice to get their input in designing the crew module.

So it seems the future plans of ISRO are on track. Now the only thing that is waiting is the MK III launch. Does anyone have info is to if we are taking any assistance from other countries in the making of the space module. Countries like Russia and USA? We have been getting along quite well with NASA in the past couple of years. It would be nice to get their input in designing the crew module.

I think some sort of cooperation with russia is inevitable. They have more experience with re-entry modules than most countries.

This crew module looks rather primitive ...may be because it's not completed yet with various subsystems ...they barely have 1 month to get all systems onboard ...because it has to be ready for integration in march ...if GSLV Mk III flight is to take place in april ....

Its actually just like a satellite bus structure,which HAL manufactures for ISRO.

Its actually just like a satellite bus structure,which HAL manufactures for ISRO.

I am afraid ...it has to be more than just satellite bus ...

It has to survive atmospheric re -entry ... decelerate subsequently ...maintain ground communication , deploy its parachutes , survive crash landing in sea , float in the sea ..and all this while has to safeguard the 'crew' inside ....

But then ISRO has good experience especially with SRE1 experiment ....

I think some sort of cooperation with russia is inevitable. They have more experience with re-entry modules than most countries.

Seems India has not taken any significant help in this instance ....

Both SRE1 as well as Crew module had been largely indigenous endeavors....

Back
Top Bottom