What's new

IAF briefs Lockheed Martin on MMRCA deal..

DarK-LorD

BANNED
Reaction score
IAF briefs Lockheed Martin on MMRCA deal.
Posted On: Jul 15, 2011

NEW DELHI, Jul 14 (PTI): Lockheed Martin, one the two US companies eliminated from the 126 combat aircraft tender, has said it had met the Indian Air Force this week to know the reasons for its non-compliance in the contract.

"We had a meeting this week with the IAF to learn about the reasons for our aircraft being non-compliant in the deal," Lockheed Martin's Vice president Orville Prins told reporters here Thursday.

He said such a meeting would help the company prepare itself in a better manner for future competitions.

The request for the debriefing was made by the US Government, which had offered the aircraft to the Indian establishment through the Foreign Military Sales route.

In April, India had shortlisted Dassault and Eurofighter for 126 Medium-Multirole Combat Aircraft (M-MRCA) deal and excluded the two American companies including Boeing along with Russian MiG Corporation and Swedish Saab Gripen.

Asked if he was satisfied with the explanation given by the IAF, Prins said, "We are satisfied that we had the meeting and we could ask questions."

Commenting on the two shortlisted aircraft, he said, "I think Eurofighter and Rafale were evaluated as per the provisions of the DPP-06 which I understand says that in order to be shortlisted, the equipment should be fully compliant without any waivers."

The IAF had evaluated the six competitors on 660 parameters; Prins said adding that if waivers were to be granted to the aircraft, "I don't know where to draw the line."

Asked if the short listing of the two aircraft was a political decision, he said, "I think it was a political plus decision", which was a usual practice world over.

IAF briefs Lockheed Martin on MMRCA deal - Brahmand.com

Lockheed should not feel bad they are getting a good slice of the pie with the C-130J deal nonetheless it was not a political decision at all the gov't went by what the IAF wanted and what they thought was the best which was the EF and the Rafale both aircraft which are very capable but by before the end of this year we should know who will win the contract (i'm putting my money on Rafale)

It is obvious from the beginning that by fielding a legacy fighter jet – F16, LM made a strategic blunder. In spite of LM promising to transfer the whole manufacturing line to India, it could not win. It killed its own chances. Seeing the competition, LM should have fielded F35. F16 was the least capable of the lot

Lockheed did a great mistake by offering F-16 which US itself stopped inducting.

Let's see how this conversation should have gone.

India : Can we have TOT ?
US : Aaaa..... NA!

India : Source code of AESA Radar?
US : Ohhhh....... No!

India: Can we be sure that platform will be supported by u after 2030?
US : well... i.. well.... F35.... so... sorry!!!!

India : FCUK OFF

If tot was offered, we would have even spent more than $150 million per aircraft

Im sure the Lockheed will brief IAF regarding a few things , that we need to hear. ;)

well it was their right to know why they were ruled out . may be next time they wont think and take us for granted.

Those poor fellows in Lockheed thought that offering F-16 against Eurofighter or Rafale with future dream of F-35 can win the deal. :rofl:

I think IAF guys have proved that F16 is the least capable of all. I would like to see there faces after the breifing.

I think IAF guys have proved that F16 is the least capable of all. I would like to see there faces after the breifing.

but F-18 was good. US navy getting more of them with APG 79 radars. same offered to India.

According to information available so far, Mig-35 was the one with less points on various parameters.

According to information available so far, Mig-35 was the one with less points on various parameters.

But what does this tell us about the Mig 29Ks? The Russians attended the trials with modified versions of the same fighter that IN will get, with the only difference, that they probably had the AESA demo radar on board, but lacked the hook.

I assume that at time MMRCA was started, quite a while back now, F-35 was still quite a way off and India's defence spending was no where near where it is now and will be in the future. So at the time it made sense for LM to push the F-16 blk60+ as it is/was a VERY advanced fighter. It just wasn't what India was looking for, let's be honest as many political as technical reasonsl. So with F-35 program a little more certain in terms of price, delivery, induction etc and with the clear willingess of India to spend BIG on defence they thought they'd offer F-35 as an outside shot to gain a bit more $$$ (not to mention IN had already shown significant interest in the F-35).

Back
Top Bottom