What's new

IAF decides on 144 Fifth Generation Fighters

Yes, that certainly makes sense, also it maintains stealth as twin seater would have decreased the stealth features of the a/c, but why cutting the no. of a/c from 200+ to just 144?? :devil:

It's not set in stone mate- we are only in 2012, FGFA/PAK-FA production will last over 7 years and the IAF has plenty of time to buy more (which I suspect they will).

Still nothing official till last prototype arrived

Not in exact terms, but i guess this is certainly a bad news, from an ambitious plan of a much different plane from the current Russian PAK-FA, IAF has come down to a FGFA which will be similar to PAK-FA's, I think the time & cost associated with the project has forced IAF to retreat from it's previous stance, but the a/c will be certainly a MKI's version of PAK-FA. Also from 200+ FGFA, IAF is now down to only 144 a/c :woot:

The good news though is the FGFA production will start by 2020 :tup:

Yup maybe for the AMCA plan, they need some help from the FGFA experience too. And since we are gonna raise more Su 30 Squadrons, Rafale squadrons, Tejas Mk 2 squadrons I guess the PAK FA would suffice, for the short to mid term requirements. Maybe the AMCA will be much more ambitious. Hope we can draw inspiration from the FGFA programs and develop the AMCA atleast by 2030.

good decision, a timely executed plan is better than a perfect plan executed later.

all single seaters?? I think he means 144 T-50s(MKI'd of course) and later some more (70-80) twin seater FGFA(which will take more time to develop- thanks to HAL)

It's not set in stone mate- we are only in 2012, FGFA/PAK-FA production will last over 7 years and the IAF has plenty of time to buy more (which I suspect they will).

Yes, IAF loves to keep suspense upon the actual no. of a/c it will induct over a period of time, like su-30's induction started with as low a figure of 50 than 140+40+42 more bringing the total to 272, but still i think the actual figure can go to as high as 310.

Similarly for the Rafales, 126 for now, but 63 more for sure, again the final figures can touch as high as 220 or so (IMO).

& yes, u r right, the FGFA final figures can be b/w 200-250.

The question is the time period of there induction, i think all 3 a/c type will reach it's final figures by 2027-30 or so.

It's going to be JV. So I think we can make as much as we want. Only problem will be sell. And I don't think we will ever consider selling fifth gen fighter.
Correct me if I am wrong

Can anybody tell me why we are using the term buying here ???
We arent buying plane from Russia. We are co-developing it. So HAL will be producing it from scratch. If any thing IAF is buying then its from HAL.
We pay Russia the cost of development and participation. And NOT THE cost of fighters

It's going to be JV. So I think we can make as much as we want. Only problem will be sell. And I don't think we will ever consider selling fifth gen fighter.
Correct me if I am wrong

We arent buying plane from Russia. We are co-developing it. So HAL will be producing it from scratch. If any thing IAF is buying then its from HAL.
We pay Russia the cost of development and participation. And NOT THE cost of fighters

Well, India & Russia will certainly find export markets for the PAK-FA/FGFA, the issue will be that since it is a JV b/w India & Russia, it will require the approval of both the stake holders before the planes can be exported, so the country's which will get these a/c will be friendly countries of both India & Russia (just like there are talks going on exporting Brahmos).

Yes, it is a JV, but the max. amount of tech. work going on is b'coz of Russia, so buying implies here is the TOT (correct me if wrong).

So the IAF wants the 5th gen jets and they want it quick,144 are just starting numbers mate there are sure alot to come and I think iaf will complete the induction of first 144 batch till lets say 2028 at that time there will be more 5th gen programs and than iaf have more options to look for if they want.

Correct me if I am wrong

Well like the Bhramos, there will be lost of countries around the world who can be sold the platform and this list is compiled by both sides. On the list will be friends of both nations.

Well, India & Russia will certainly find export markets for the PAK-FA/FGFA, the issue will be that since it is a JV b/w India & Russia, it will require the approval of both the stake holders before the planes can be exported, so the country's which will get these a/c will be friendly countries of both India & Russia (just like there are talks going on exporting Brahmos).

Yes, it is a JV, but the max. amount of tech. work going on is b'coz of Russia, so buying implies here is the TOT (correct me if wrong).

It is hell of mess :D but I think the JV contract will cover the cost of research and participation. And that will be all. After that when HAL starts the production line IAF will be buying from HAL
Well it what I think

Let somebody with good information come ; may be SANCHO can add more specific

Back
Top Bottom