What's new

IAF to order around 100 more LCA Mark-1A fighter jets for over $8 billion

It will be compensated by installing heavier Radars, adding few equipment's like refueler etc.
That is a positive news.
I was checking the dimensions of similar class of aircraft. Tejas is smallest of the current crop, but, has similar or more weight carrying capacity. That shows decent engineering.

Last edited:
That is a positive news.
I was checking the dimensions of similar class of aircraft. Tejas is smallest of the current crop but, has similar or more weight carrying capacity. That shows decent engineering.
Actually Tejas was constrained by the IAF demand of keeping it small like Mig 21 so that they can fit inside the 21 shelters. Had that not been the case, we could have had a even more better design. Tejas has some drag issues due to that!! Hopefully such constraints would be addressed in MK2!!!

Actually Tejas was constrained by the IAF demand of keeping it small like Mig 21 so that they can fit inside the 21 shelters. Had that not been the case, we could have had a even more better design. Tejas has some drag issues due to that!! Hopefully such constraints would be addressed in MK2!!!

That one requirement, of being able to fit into MiG-21 size hardened air shelters (HAS) really did constrain designers. But they still could've made it longer, given that the Tejas is even shorter in length (not including the pitot) than a MiG-21 with it's horizontal stabilizers increasing the length.

T
If that can be done, then good for you.

But, my take is that it wouldn’t be possible to upgrade due to structural issues.

That’s a valid argument. Even in the skirmish with PAF, they fired AMRAMS at much lesser ranges.
Their upgrade is already planned. They would get AESA, engine will be improved and other things will be upgraded or added.

Their upgrade is already planned. They would get AESA, engine will be improved and other things will be upgraded or added.
JF-17 BK III had some major internal structure upgrades so as to give it all the new advancements. It must not have been very easy considering amount of time it took in the final stages.

It can be deduced, that all the upgrades may not be feasible on the older variants, mostly because of structural issues. That would not make them as potent as the latest variant.

CATIC and it’s designers have done well in the past but certain limitations can’t be surmounted, even by the best.

Good luck.

Again I am not happy if they will order fir another 100 batch.

Appox 120 Hal mk1a is more than enough.

Money can be save and can be upgrade su 30 mki and more focus in Tejas mk2 and AMCA

HAL plans to boost production to meet IAF demand for 183 LCA jets
1692981172817.png

New Delhi: State-owned aircraft maker Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) plans to boost its Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) assembly to meet the increased demand for LCA fighter jets. This comes as the Indian Air Force plans to acquire 100 more LCA Tejas Mark 1A jets. This order, which are likely to be placed in early 2024, adds to the existing order of 83 LCA Mark 1A placed in 2021 which HAL is currently executing.

HAL has three aircraft assembly facilities, two in Bengaluru and one in Nashik, with a capacity of assembling 16 fighter jets annually. “We will ramp up our capacity to build around 24 fighters per year in the next 18 months. This means that the entire order of 183 LCAs will be delivered to the Indian Air Force in the next eight years,” a top HAL official told News9.

Tejas to phase out MiG 21, MiG 29

The planned Tejas order is meant to compensate for the impending phase-out of the remaining squadrons of MiG 21 fighter jets. The Indian Air Force currently has three MiG 21 squadrons with around 50 aircraft which it plans to phase out by 2025. In May this year, the Air Force temporarily grounded around 50 MiG 21 aircraft after one of them crashed in Rajasthan on May 8, killing three people. This again put a spotlight on the ageing aircraft which has been involved in around 400 accidents since its inception in the 1960s in the Air Force.

The Indian Air Force also plans to phase out three squadrons of MiG 29 fighter jets by 2028.

HAL will deliver the first Mark 1A aircraft in February 2024. This order means that the indigenously made LCA Tejas fighters will be inducted in huge numbers into the Indian Air Force replacing MiG 21s and MiG 29s.

Enhancing air-power

The Indian Air Force is expected to have 40 LCAs, 180 LCA Mark-1As, and around 120 LCA Mark-2 jets in the next 15 years.

“The LCA Tejas Mark 2 is an entirely new aircraft. It is meant to replace all the Indian Air Force’s twin-engined Jaguar and Mirage-2000 aircraft. The first Mark 2 will be delivered in the next few years,” the official said.

Indian Air Force not only needs to replace its ageing MiG 21 fighter jets, it also needs to fill the gap between mandated and existing squadrons. Presently, there are 32 squadrons in the Indian Air Force against the sanctioned strength of 42 squadrons.

Its pure numbers. You have two squadrons of LCA Mark 1, and 83 aircraft on order will equip four more squadrons. That’s six squadrons. They will buy 100 more, so that would equip five more squadrons. That will make 11 LCA squadrons in all. Right now, MiG 21s are three or four squadrons, but at one time, there were more than 20 squadrons,” said Air Marshal SBP Sinha (Retd).

The Russian-build Su-30 MKI is the backbone of the IAF’s fighter fleet. There are currently 272 Su-30 MKIs in its feet. Even with the enhanced numbers, the proportion of Tejas jets is far less than the Su-30 MKI fighters.

That is a positive news.
I was checking the dimensions of similar class of aircraft. Tejas is smallest of the current crop, but, has similar or more weight carrying capacity. That shows decent engineering.
smaller size doesnt necessarily mean less weight carrying capability
it usually means less "space" - which is mostly needed for all the fuel.
smaller size == lesser range

Again I am not happy if they will order fir another 100 batch.

Appox 120 Hal mk1a is more than enough.

Money can be save and can be upgrade su 30 mki and more focus in Tejas mk2 and AMCA
Not really. Even 300 MK1A is not enough as our squadron strength is at its bottom. We have retired 10s of squadrons of old aircrafts without even a replacement. Also there is a space for all. Tejas, additional Rafales or even MMRCA2.0. Lets hope all materialize asap!!

Not really. Even 300 MK1A is not enough as our squadron strength is at its bottom. We have retired 10s of squadrons of old aircrafts without even a replacement. Also there is a space for all. Tejas, additional Rafales or even MMRCA2.0. Lets hope all materialize asap!!

When I said, we don't need more fighter planes, I only said that the Mk1A is not capable of dealing with Chinese Airforce fighters.

I am not a fancy or emotional guy who wants to trust anything.

The design of HAL Tejas is very old-based and experienced before 1990. If you induct a new platform in 2025, we expect that it will serve the IAF for at least the next 30 years.

So, if it's my hand - I will not go over 120 Mk1a fighters, I will better focus on Mk2 and AMCA.

You know, when you needed to phase out Mig 21?? A decade Ago only... Why can't we just keep flying Mirage 2000 and Mig 29 UPG and extend them for 2–5 years since we've already upgraded them by putting millions of dollars into it some time ago?

I would be better off waiting for Mk2 and AMCA as expected, for HAL Mk2 to start induction from 2030–31 onwards.

Back
Top Bottom